FCC License

Jeff Wexler

update 03/06/2017

I tried using several older versions of JAVA in my Windows 7 x64 OS in Chrome, Firefox, and Internet Explorer browsers and had zero luck until I found and used an archived copy of the Windows x86  jdk-6u45-windows-i586.exe installer. I had to manually enable the "Add-Ons" in Internet Explorer 11. Note that the Windows x64  jdk-6u45-windows-x64.exe did not seem to work in my x64 OS and I imagine this is because Internet Explorer is still a x86 application.

Once I had this version of Java running the FCC application opened quickly and ran smoothly. I had none of the troubles that I had anticipated. I followed the instructions at the Local 695 website and was able to complete the application in one session.

I got the 6u45 JAVA install by registering an account with Oracle and downloading the installer here::

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/java-archive-downloads-javase6-419409.html#jdk-6u45-oth-JPR

I am adding this note because I wasted a lot of time trying different JAVA versions and hope that the info helps others. Good luck.

On 3/8/2017 at 6:18 PM, Derek H said:

Is it possible to complete the application on a mac?

I filled it out on a Mac, some three years ago, and it was very arcane and cumbersome, but I was able to do it. IIRC, I ended using Firefox, which isn't the browser I normally use.

Cheers,

BK

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I just received an email with a link to a two page .pdf file that verified an official part 74 license has been granted. Should I expect some sort of printed, or hard copy, identification card to be sent in the mail or is the call sign what is used in the field to identify the license if a question is raised face to face? 

Thank you.

I tried reading through the entire thread for information, but there is so much energy spent on debate that I find it exhausting to search for an answer to what seems to be a relatively simple question.

Can someone who has had a license for a while please help out?: Is the Call Sign your effective identification as a license holder or do you end up with some sort of ID card to carry with you? Thank you.

Thank you.

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 6:51 AM, alenK said:

Hello,

I just received an email with a link to a two page .pdf file that verified an official part 74 license has been granted. Should I expect some sort of printed, or hard copy, identification card to be sent in the mail or is the call sign what is used in the field to identify the license if a question is raised face to face? 

Thank you.

You will get a hard copy in the mail, but no card. Make a photo of the paperwork and store it on you phone just incase you need to prove you are a part 74 license holder.

3 hours ago, mark kirchner said:

You will get a hard copy in the mail, but no card. Make a photo of the paperwork and store it on you phone just incase you need to prove you are a part 74 license holder.

...which will never happen. I've been doing this for over 30 years and haven't had anyone ask me to produce one, nor have I ever heard of anyone in our business being ask to produce one.  Go figure...

THE LICENSE I HAVE EXPIRES 2023, AND LISTS (AMONG OTHERS) FREQUENCIES BETWEEN 494 AND 698 MHZ (EXCLUDING RADIO ASTRONOMY) .  THERE PROBABLY HAS BEEN DISCUSSION ABOUT THIS-- DO WE HAVE INFO ON WHAT PROCESS WOULD BE ADOPTED TO CHANGE THE LICENSE APPLICABILITY IN THOSE FREQUENCIES WHICH WERE AUCTIONED OFF IN THE PAST FEW WEEKS?  I.E., DOES FCC  CALL FOR A NEW ROUND OF APPLICATIONS ? OR SEND AN AMENDED LICENSE, ETC.?

• 2 years later...
On 6/21/2019 at 1:40 PM, Jim Feeley said:

Any tips for those of us getting ready to dive in?

I just followed the steps on the Local 695 website. But adapted to the current situation. For example, I used Safari (Version 12.1.1), things appear slightly different on the pages than it did with the old system.... but if I could figure it out, I'm sure you will too. It's actually pretty straight forward. At the end of the application, when you are ready to submit, it will run a check for you and point you to whatever you need to fix, in case you missed anything.

Before you can apply, you need to get a FCC Registration Number (FRN).

Just go to this link and scroll down to "Getting Started".   DO NOT INSTALL JAVA

http://magazine.local695.com/fcc-licensing/how-to-get-license

Just follow the steps there and you should be good.

Oh, and the application fee is $170 now.

The easiest/safest way is still probably paying Bill Ruck to do it for you. Contact Bill at 415-564-1450 or billruck@earthlink.net

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry, Jon. I just saw this.

I haven't tried to register freqs in a long time. Seems like a fool's errand.

I'm mostly a day player, so I often don't find out where I'm going to be (and, just as often, how many freqs I'll need) one or two days before the job - so trying to register anything would be virtually impossible.

HTH,

BK

Thanks Blas. Anybody else? Fools errand or not, it’s still pertinent information that I’d like to know. 

As I try to get people to get their FCC license, being able to send them to a space to register frequencies is an important part of the persuasion process. A lot of people don’t see the point of having one, and this is one thing that may help. 

• 11 months later...

Has anybody renewed their expired license? I see that some who originally got a license had an expiration date in 2021.

Is anybody maintaining their license or tried to get a license recently? I ask because the local 695 link no longer valid (5 posts previous to mine).

1 hour ago, Paul F said:

Has anybody renewed their expired license? I see that some who originally got a license had an expiration date in 2021.

Is anybody maintaining their license or tried to get a license recently? I ask because the local 695 link no longer valid (5 posts previous to mine).

Good question about renewals. But note that the 695 guide to getting a license is still on the site; they just reorganized the site a bit.  https://www.local695.com/fcc-licensing/how-to-get/

• 1 year later...

Oh my.... I just tried renewing mine, and the FCC site is asking for $415.00 !

Has anyone done their renewal lately, and could you tell me if this is really correct? Seems like a very steep bump from the $170.00 I payed just 3-4 years ago. In my mind a renewal would be reasonably less - I mean, the first application was already approved and the license thus already existing.

It's possible I made a mistake somewhere in the application, so just wondering if anyone can verify.

On 9/10/2021 at 9:50 AM, Paul F said:

I guess you sorted this out but responding for anyone else. mine lapsed and I tried to renew after it had expired and they denied the renewal, and kept the money. They don’t give you notice it’s expiring, so you need to remind yourself. I had to reapply from scratch. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2023 at 4:52 PM, Johnny Karlsson said:

Oh my.... I just tried renewing mine, and the FCC site is asking for $415.00 !

Has anyone done their renewal lately, and could you tell me if this is really correct? Seems like a very steep bump from the $170.00 I payed just 3-4 years ago. In my mind a renewal would be reasonably less - I mean, the first application was already approved and the license thus already existing.

Johnny,

*After looking around the FCC site, I am adding this info:

Fee Schedule

-  $  35 - Renewal Fee

- $380 - Waiver Fee!

I think I am going to abort this late renewal application and start over with a new request. Hope you didn't pay the $415, unless you really liked your call sign.

Original post:

I didn't renew my license before it expired. During the renewal process I am instructed to provide a Waiver with the following comments:

-This license is no longer active. To submit this application please provide a waiver attachment.

-A Waiver Attachment Type and/or a Hurricane Relief Attachment Type must be present if the Waiver question = Yes.

Wondering if you ran into this and what form did you use.

I am looking at form 601.

Thanks!

Tim

-

-

Edited by Tim Norris

I am grateful that this thread was revived. I ran to the FCC site to check on the status of my license and saw that my expiration was upcoming.

Also keep in mind that IIRC one cannot renew their license more than 90 days before the expiration date without submitting to the waiver requirements, including the waiver fee. 

39 minutes ago, Daniel McIntosh said:

I am grateful that this thread was revived. I ran to the FCC site...

Keep us/me posted, please! I submitted mine just now, a New Application with a new FRN. It indicated the fee was $95, but it does not allow me to pay. My status is "submitted":

Submitted applications are those applications which you have completed and submitted to ULS during the current business day, but which have not yet passed through ULS overnight processing. You cannot change or edit these applications once you have submitted them. You may delete these applications during the current business day, and the applications will not be submitted to the Commission.

Pending An application which has been submitted to ULS, but for which electronic processing has stopped because the application requires an examiner’s intervention, fee payments, or other actions before a decision on whether or not the application should be granted may be reached by the Commission.

Cheers,

Tim