Lectro UM400 just stopped working?

Hugh Holesome

It was working fine and then died in the middle of a shot.

Obviously thought it was the battery and tried a few of them but the unit doesn't even power up.

Anyone have this happen or any ideas how to get it in use again in the field??

Sometimes the positive and negative battery springs in the UM gets bent back to far and can't make the proper connection to the battery.  Try sticking a couple of strips of mole skin to the back end of the nine volt for a sure battery connection.  See if that works if not send it out for repair.  Good Luck.

The springs are photo etched from stainless steel sheet. The sheets are made by rolling the steel to be thinner and thinner. The direction of the stretching means the metal flows and has a grain direction. This causes the metal to bend easier in one direction than the other. If you form the springs at right angles to the correct direction, the spring bends easily and takes a set. After we have it gold plated, it is hard to see the incorrect grain direction. The fix is to replace the spring. This comes under the usual "We blew it" warranty.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Lectrosonics

I second Neil's response... had some intermittent troubles with a UM400a a few months back and sent it back to Lectro for repair. Turns out it was the battery spring.

Cheers,

Rich

Just a follow up on the previuos posting: Dean in service said, " We don’t normally see the UM400 have battery contact problems that prevent operation. UH400, UCR190, CR187 all had contacts that would bend to the point of not working but not the UM. More likely, in this case, that the processor clock crystal is bad (for whatever reason). Just a guess though, number of issues that could cause this symptom."

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

Thanks to all who replied and even when manually holding the battery tight the unit was not "feeling" power.

The production is facilitating the Lectro service repair.  I was hoping it was somehow operator error to get me through the last few days of shooting.

Thanks go to Jeff, I do appreciate this community!

Hugh Holesome

Mic On A Stick