Recording audio direct to SONY PMW-F3

JDirckze

• 1 month later...

I stopped taping down level meters years ago when they were sitting deeper in the camerabody and had no problems with Digibeta or XDcam PDW700.

On the F3 they are much easier to adjust by fault so in fact taping down meter levels is a must.

Sadly it has no internal mic and only 2 Audio channel. The XLR from stereo cammic stay out quite a bit and cable is in the way quite some times.

Changing from internal mic to Mixer is uncomfortable as you need to switch from Mic to line beneath XLR and from Auto to manual on the opposite side. The long XLR from cammic stay in the way or camera mic must be put off the camera.

On quick changing setups its not the nicest to work with.

Next time I try to convince production to use a cam hop.

Besides that I find the headphone out to be not the best as above.

• 1 year later...

Hi

Just to confirm what every one else said - I did a corporate just over 2 months ago using 2 F3's (i think they were the first in the country/prototypes). Line level at -20 was fine. They were using nanoflash over SDI to record and consequently i monitored off of the nanoflash drive which sounded alot better than the F3's headphone output. The DIT played some of the files to the clients and they loved it - job done.

Sorry to bring this up again. But it seems as though some editor friends of mine say that when I set tone at -20 on the F3, the peaks land around -16, -14, -12 which is low for a dBfs scale. Editors would prefer audio peaks for this particular camera to be at the most -6. At line level I have to crank the external audio pots on the F3 all the ways to even reach -10. When I set tone at -10, peaks fall in the -8, -6 range. Is this safe? On these cameras with dBFs scales, what are folks setting tone level at? Should we just listen to the camera and note when it starts clipping and back off from there?

Sorry to bring this up again. But it seems as though some editor friends of mine say that when I set tone at -20 on the F3, the peaks land around -16, -14, -12 which is low for a dBfs scale. Editors would prefer audio peaks for this particular camera to be at the most -6. At line level I have to crank the external audio pots on the F3 all the ways to even reach -10. When I set tone at -10, peaks fall in the -8, -6 range. Is this safe? On these cameras with dBFs scales, what are folks setting tone level at? Should we just listen to the camera and note when it starts clipping and back off from there?

Set your tone at the accepted -20dbfs standard. Turn up your mixer input levels to give a meter reading of +12 which should be -8 on the camera.

Eric