the Mac App Store

I don't know if anyone else has used the Mac App Store (included in 10.6.7 and installed for you without asking) but I just used for the first time. I found an application called "Hype" which is a web page design and HTML5 creator and decided to download it and purchase. The "Hype" website launched the Mac App Store on my Mac, I made the purchase with my Apple ID and it was installed and up and running in about 45 seconds. The process was very quick, informative and did not do anything without telling me what it was doing. It has always been super easy to install programs on the Mac (certainly compared to the computers running the other operating system) but this was even easier and quicker. I think this is a win-win situation for everyone involved, but I believe the developer has to pay something to Apple to be able to offer this service to its customers.

- sorry, clicking on the "Play Intro Video" button on the screenshot .jpg will NOT play the video

post-1-130815095738_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm curious what Apple will do with those multi-DVD installers for Final Cut Pro and Adobe CS. Those will be huge files to download...

I can see a lot of positives for the software companies, since this eliminates the need to make a cardboard box, printed manual, ship the product, and all of that stuff. Plus, they can keep the App Store updated with the latest version on a weekly basis (or faster).

--Marc W.

I love the app store. It's great for small developers to get product out there that we normally wouldn't get (pixelmator for me), and it makes getting them easy. I just do it from my home. I don't have to go somewhere and deal with a salesperson that doesn't know anything. I can read product reviews right there. Lion is supposed to be available through the app store.

But, Marc, you make a good point, what about the really big programs, like Final cut? I know there are video games out there that are really big files that you download (using the steam client), but it can take forever to get them. I guess we'll see. There are some programs that I like to have the actual install disks for as a "just in case" scenario.

On the other hand, Apple does now have that 500,000 square foot server farm in North Carolina. I bet they have the fastest pipes in the world, so it's not inconceivably that they could handle a lot of traffic, even for a 20GB download.

The problem for me is being at the mercy of Time-Warner Cable in the Valley. No FIOS in this neck of the woods...  frown.png

--Marc W.

Google tried to fix that with google TV but met a lot of resistance.

Microsoft had it planed for a long time and is finally trying to accomplish it.

I heard netflix is buying rights to shows that they would stream live. MAD MEN for example.

I would not mind if they do it. Their streaming technology is second to none.

The problem for me is being at the mercy of Time-Warner Cable in the Valley. No FIOS in this neck of the woods...  frown.png

--Marc W.