DIY XLR Cables

Saif and Sound

They all make it, as it is what's used in the multi-pair quaded stuff. The Canare is grey, the Mogami is black. Shouldn't be too hard to find.

Jay

I have always used Mogami and it comes in black and gray. I have made up many XLR cables which I call lightweights, mostly for doing car work (can be tucked into the headliner in a car and things like that). I often have trouble finding the raw cable (but have never tried ordering online since I never seem to remember the part number).

I use a few types of Mogami cable, but for Lectro TA5 - XLR adapters and the like, I use Belden 1804A:

http://datasheet.octopart.com/1804A-J5C100-Belden-datasheet-10957.pdf

Quad cable, relatively easy to work with and sturdy in the bag. Plus it is relatively easy to find.

I use a few types of Mogami cable, but for Lectro TA5 - XLR adapters and the like, I use Belden 1804A:

http://datasheet.octopart.com/1804A-J5C100-Belden-datasheet-10957.pdf

Quad cable, relatively easy to work with and sturdy in the bag. Plus it is relatively easy to find.

The Belden supplier in South Africa won't bring in that cable as there is no demand for it! AArgh.... sometimes is sucks living in the back waters of Africa!!!

Hoping the Mogami agent is a bit more compliant. Just need to find out what model or part number the cable is that Lectro use. ANYBODY??

The Belden supplier in South Africa won't bring in that cable as there is no demand for it! AArgh.... sometimes is sucks living in the back waters of Africa!!!

Hoping the Mogami agent is a bit more compliant. Just need to find out what model or part number the cable is that Lectro use. ANYBODY??

Hi, Sebastian

Have you tried Mouser Electronics? They say that they do business in South Africa on their webpage.

Best regards,

Jim

Sebastian, maybe Markertek UK might work for you, here's alink to their shipping page:

http://www.markertek.co.uk/Delivery-and-Shipping

... it says: For the rest of Europe and worldwide, please contact our sales department for a low cost quotation. We welcome international orders.

sales@markertek.co.uk

Site home:

http://www.markertek.co.uk/

• 1 month later...

A couple of notes / commentary...

Those asking about AES cabling, AES uses 110 ohm Twinaxial, with an overall foil and or braided shield. It tends to be stiffer than starquad or non-quad balanced cable. Normally there is a drain too. It also works great for analog line or mic use too.

My own understanding of the drain wire, it should be connected only to the shell and ground pin on the "source" side of the cable. By connecting a sink point that is earthed to the transmission device, some stray RFI can be drained away to the device's ground. I have also seen situations where floating the drain will solve a problem too, possibly due to an aspect of a device(s) grounding design more so than any general theory or best practice.

Eric, my rememberance is that you cannot cut the phantom on one side in front of the cam; simply on or off for both left and right.

Anyway, I'll probably solder pins 1-2-3 to pins 1-2-3 since I only need one mono mic in place of the stereo mic already on the cam (Sony 800). Just one channel is enough. If I ever want to have two mics there, I'll follow the above reference.

Sen': in what instance would the 48v be doubled ? In a mismatch in the pin order ?

Gee, the camera manuals are so vague about these details... but I suppose they follow general guidelines so if I look at my 5pin to 2x 3pin cables used for my Zaxcom receivers, I'll probably find something similar to the config' Jack gave me. I'll sure have a look just to confirm (kind of) before soldering everything.

Once again: thanks gents :)

• 2 months later...
Guest Hartley

I always heat shrink my white and blue wires before tinning with white and blue shrink. It tends to keep them from loosening and makes for an easier solder job. Also I only would connect the male end case to ground but have recently read a notice from AES that says neither end should be connected. Full Compass is a good source for cable and connectors as well. I have used Clarke Wire Co's Mink-4 which is their version of Star Quad and have had good luck with it.

Redco Audio recommended to me the Mogami 2907 for wiring TA5 connectors. It's basically a lav mic wire that's small enough that two will fit in the crimping tabs. It has two spiral wrapped copper shields. They also recommended the TA5 connectors with the larger opening, which look like the regular TA5 without the rubber boot.

I've been making some TA5 to XLR adapters and I'll be posting pictures to my website.

Mark O.

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone! I'm a noob on this forum and am about to start making my own XLR's. Thanks so much for all of the info!

I'm having a hard time deciding what cable lengths will be good to have. Can anyone tell me what lengths they would recommend for a good all-rounder audio bag for video production? I will be using them for:

1) field audio recording outside with a shotgun, 9 ft boom pole and Marantz pmd-661 audio recorder (and the same configuration inside for sit down interviews)

2) with wireless mic sent to the pmd-661

I know that some lengths will depend on the specific equipment, but I'm trying to find a good place to start that would work for most film audio applications. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

"Most" is a big area!

I think a lot depends on how involved you get, what applications you have to deal with, the complexity of the system, and so on. I've gotten roped into live sound situations (which are not my forte) where I had four or five 100' cables, a dozen 50' cables, more 25' cables than I could count, a handful of 10' cables, and a bunch of 5' cables (which I use on the cart or to temporarily connect oddball gear, like a feedback eliminator or an additional wireless receiver). I try to divide the cables up in apple crates on my truck, and I try to use velcro rip-ties to keep them all straight.

I think in a sit-down interview situation, the 25' cables will probably be most useful (to me). I really like Canare star-quad cable with Neutrik connectors, and tried to standardize that for most of my stuff. If you make your own, it's much cheaper -- and more educational -- to make them yourself. Very short right-angle cables are a must for a bag situation.

Don't forget about power cables, timecode cables, and (sometimes) video cables. I've run into situations where I had to help other departments, like the DIT or video assist, and get them an extension cord, a stinger, or an adapter.

BTW, here's a great video on how to roll up cables at the end of the day:

Hey, Marc, I had no idea anyone had done a video showing the "over-under" cable wrapping we all (hopefully) know how to do. I can't even remember who taught me, must have been somebody a long, long time ago, and I still do it a little differently than others (maybe something to do with being left handed). Watching the video it does look quite daunting with the little twist of the cable and the pushing it "behind" as he keeps saying. What he says at the end is so true, however, that once you "get it" it is very easy and fast to accomplish.

Thanks for posting that.

Ah, Wrapping cable! The first thing I ever learned on a set! Good memories!

And thanks for the feedback, Marc. I know it's difficult to give me a general all-encompassing answer to so many specific and different variations, but you were very helpful.

I think for my situation, I'm going to make a few of each 50ft, 25ft, 10ft, 5ft and throw in a few smaller ones. And then make more of one thing or another as needed.

Any thoughts on what size the cable with the right angle connector should be? Thanks again!