Zaxcoms, Ni-MH, and Lithiums

Michael P Clark

As I was reading the Zaxcom Stereo Goldline Receiver manual, I noticed they recommend using Ni-MH AA's for powering. I understand that that is the earlier model Zaxcom, but Lithiums were out then right? So it got me to thinking. What are the mAh's of our batteries? With some research I discovered that Alkalines average 2700-2850 mAh's, Lithiums are 3000 mAh's, and the highest Ni-MH I found was 2900 mAh's. So what is it that keeps the Lithiums lasting longer? Chemistry? I would love to be completely rechargeable (already loving the iPowers), but have never found a Ni-MH that has the juice. But after doing the research on Alkalines and Lithiums, it seems I found one that is between the two, with respect to mAh's. So for the battery experts out there...What else do you look for in Ni-MH to make sure you're getting the best quality? And how much longer would 4 x Lithium "throw aways" last in a Zaxcom Receiver, than 4 x 2900 mAh Ni-MH?

Hi Michael,

I'm also always on the lookout for reliable rechargeables. As you mentioned in your post, there are some 2900 mAh AA's out there. I bought some from Thomas that are made by Accu-Power that were named "Digital Power 2900". When I got them, I noticed that the label reads "1.2 volt / up to 2900mAh".  I don't know exactly how this reflects its capacity, but one important note: I got these to use in my SM transmitters, but they will not power the SM. They slide into the barrel just fine, but there's something about the contacts on the battery that prevent them from making contact in the SM. They work just fine in other devices, such as a 401 receiver. So, I guess what I'm saying is, always check to make sure the cell works in whatever it is you're trying to power with it. These seem to have good capacity, but their contact profile leaves a slight bit to be desired, as it's obvious they're not universally usable.

I've been using "Powerex" AA's from Maha (also available from Thomas) for awhile now and they seem reliable and they've just come out with a "2700" line of AA's.  I just took a look at its label and noticed it says "minimum capacity 2500 mAh" (good thing I got new glasses). They work fine in the SM's and will power it for about 2.5 hours. Still not the Lithium AA, but closer.

Thanks for your many posts; you ask lots of pratical questions. And thanks to the rest of you who respond so kindly.

Greg

Thanks Greg for your input. Those were the exact batteries I had found. Thanks for the heads up on them, because they were looking like a good option. Perhaps I'll get a few to test out with my slate. Nobody wants to pay for batteries anymore, so rechargeable are becoming an inevitable need for me. You like the Power-ex? Does anyone else have any favorites that they see last long(for a rechargeable) and charge at a decent rate?

And is anyone using rechargeables in their Zaxcom receivers?

Nobody wants to pay for batteries??

Me either ...... but its a cost of doing business..... TO THE PRODUCTION!

Just like tape stock....

Dude, that is a standard charge on everything..... it's called an expendable.

Batteries on an EASY video day can easily eat $10 or more into your day....

Multiply that into a working year, and you could get into 4 figures....

I stipulate that on EVERY negotiation.... right up front --  the cadence is like this:

"Rates? ... OK - Labor? ... $$  ... then Equipment? $$  .... then extra equipment charges if the needs discussed here are exceeded... $$$ ..... then expendables (what they cost at Target, BTW) $$$  .... then mileage past 50 roundtrip per day... Great, we've got a deal... "

I've never lost a job due to that... to them, it's usually less money then they spend on Starbucks..

When you give that stuff away once, then it becomes an expected freebie, whether you are running one wireless or TEN.

AND, you ruin it for the others in your market....

Mike Filosa, CAS

Atlanta

Don't worry Mike, I won't "ruin" it for you. I use your lines of negotiation everytime!

This doesn't stem from local production companies, and I never agree to those terms. But when it's slow, and I need work, having rechargables could allow me to say "fine". I mean, we've ALL worked for less then our day rate, right?? This all stems from the "cable" reality networks that swoop in with low rates claiming that "their local guys don't charge for batteries. Oh, and they also don't charge for headset feeds. This HAS to be included in your day rate, which is $400, including gear!" In which case, I say "No Thanks!". But someone else is always waiting to get their chance, or is slow enough to agree. Otherwise they wouldn't be saying it, right? I mean, their producers, they have to tell you the truth:)