New Follow Cart - JW

Jeff Wexler

"Does anyone with experience purchasing 80/20 materials know of a good place to order online?"

I do believe our friend Johnpaul215 on here has fabricated his cart himself out of the material from a local supplier here in Philly. Give him a shout, sure he'd be able to answer any questions firsthand.

I got the parts for mine from their ebay store. IIRC they will sell direct, but also have local dealers that can sell you the bare items, or build your cart to your design. My brother uses 80/20 for custom machines (he's a mechanical engineer). He basically designs what he needs (possibly some online designing software), and they send him the custom cut parts machined as needed, and he just has to assemble it. That way everything he gets is perfect and no wasted (or botched up) parts. I haven't priced it out that way, but would look into it for my next build. Definitely looking into a follow cart at some point.

The best thing is the flexibility. I just purchased a Mix-12, and have to make some adjustments for it. If I had a cart that was all welded, I would be in trouble, but this should just require some loosening of hex bolts.

• 4 months later...

Jeff - can I ask what your shelves are made of? They look great.

The top and bottom shelves, as well as the jockey box at the bottom, are 3/8 inch marine plywood. I considered lots of alternatives, aluminum, various composite sheet materials, etc., but ended up with wood as the best choice. Easy to work with, not too terrible weight-wise, easy to replace if things don't go well. I super sealed the wood then cut a piece of industrial indoor-outdoor carpet for the top surface and a piece of rubber matting for the bottom. The movie I am on now is the first one for this Follow Cart and it has worked out well. I was a little worried about the jockey box since it has very limited ground clearance, but so far even going over rough exterior terrain it hasn't gotten any damage. I anticipated potential trouble so the jockey box can be removed quickly with just 4 bolts that are easily accessed.

• 5 years later...

Hi Jeff, 

I know this is an old thread just curious how your readytube follow Cart has held up over the years?

Also, how did you attach the plate casters? Bolts directly through the frame tubes? Did you secure each caster with all four bolts or just three?

Thanks!

Derek

The follow cart built with 80/20 square tube profiles has held up very nicely. I have had to swap out wheels a few times, going from tube-type tires to flat free ones, then back to full pneumatics when the "flat free" tires developed terrible flat spots from just sitting in place. The caster plates do utilize 4 bolts: 3 directly through the tubes and 1 through the material I used for the bottom surface. Regarding the top surface work area and the bottom surface, I used marine plywood and I regret that choice because of the weight.

Incidentally, the follow cart we are talking about is for sale --- I am starting that process of selling most all of my equipment and carts.

new follow front.jpg