Need a new boom stand. Suggestions?

SoundsLikeBret

Hi everyone,

For sit-down interviews, I've been mounting my boom on a Manfrotto 367B light stand with a knuckle and a boom holder.  The setup works well, but it's not very compact. 

I'm starting to book more travel gigs, so I need something that will fit in my Pelican 1620 with the rest of my doc kit.

The case's interior dimensions: L 22" x W 17" (approx. 27" diagonal)

What do you all use?  These Lowel stands are compact enough, anyone know if they're strong enough for boom duties?

P2102.jpg

Thanks in advance for your input!

-Bret

Hi Brett. I've used the very Lowell stand pictured on a long trip with lots of flying. It is quite stable and worked pretty well. most of the interview situations were sit-down. If you have to extend the stand fully it can get a bit rickety. i was using a Schoeps with  Rycote lyre mount and a short VDB pole ( a lightweight combo) and had no problems. I'd always improvise some kind of sandbag solution on set as we were not bringing any with us. A heavier case or bag did the trick. I carried the stand in my checked luggage. alternately, check with the cameraman about putting a longer stand in  the tripod case if you think you will need it.

Chris Newton

Thank you for the replies.

Chris, I just spoke with a DP friend of mine who recommended a Matthews stand that is very similar in design to that Lowel, but built "like a brick" (so he says), and strong enough to hold his 2' four-bank Kino.  Sounds like a contender to me.

C-stands are great, Rado, but I am concerned about packing something so bulky and heavy in a case with the rest of my sound gear.  Is there a lightweight 20" c-stand that you like using?

Thanks again!

Avenger A2016DCB

Not light but small.

AvengerA2016D.jpg

Thank you for the replies.

Chris, I just spoke with a DP friend of mine who recommended a Matthews stand that is very similar in design to that Lowel, but built "like a brick" (so he says), and strong enough to hold his 2' four-bank Kino.  Sounds like a contender to me.

C-stands are great, Rado, but I am concerned about packing something so bulky and heavy in a case with the rest of my sound gear.  Is there a lightweight 20" c-stand that you like using?

Thanks again!

I've been using an inexpensive Manfrotto stand knockoff that is the same length collapsed that my boom pole is collapsed, combined with a plastic grip knuckle/gobo head with a Boom Boy boom hook from Trew Audio. A nice light combination...

Was traveling with a wee little 5lb sandbag for a bit of weight at the bottom, but recently airport security has been pulling the case that had the sandbag in it because their X-Rays can't see through the 'organic' material. Totally legal to transport, but I didn't like the idea of a case being pulled for extra security all the time.

But when there's a C-Stand available... I'm taking in it. Not to the airport, though.

In a pinch, I've borrowed a Mathellini mount from the grip department for the boom as well. Always a danger of crushing the boom with those, though.

Rich

I have a Lowel light stand similar to a Arri KS stand works fine for most things light weight and cheap. I have had it for 5 years. I do have a full black C-Stand but only bring that with me if we are doing something that is a very wide interview shot and we don't have a grip department. I would say I only use it once or twice a year link for KS stand is below

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/31879-REG/Lowel_DT_33_DT_33_KS_Jr_Light.html

Whitney,

I really like the look of that KS stand, and those legs are probably stronger than the reverse-folding legs on the stand I posted above.  Unfortunately, it's 28" collapsed... one inch too long for my case.  Dang it.

Going to B&H now to check out my options.

Regarding what Richard said about the Mathellini clamp, I do know a few sound guys who like using Mafer clamps (aka super clamps) as boom holders.  I would worry about denting the boom with a Mafer, even if the clamp is loose... seems like a very small surface area to sustain a considerable amount of torque.  Anyone here use a Mafer?

If you use a lightweight stand, don't you need a sandbag to stabilize it anyway?

I'm not flying, but use a standard c-stand on sit-down lock off situations. Just for ease of carrying/packing I have pondered a shorter stand because I never go up more than a few inches on the stand.

I bought the Manfrotto 420B http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Manfrotto-420B-Combi-Boom-Stand-/360366456777?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53e783bfc9

It is reasonably light, very extendable and very robust

as a traveling sandbag I bought one of these http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5001B-Bag-Sandbag-case-weight-portable-equipment-flash-/230558885729?pt=AU_Cameras_Photographic_Accessories&hash=item35ae616761

which allows you to use bottles of water instead of sand making it easy and light to travel

Ya, I use a Matthews stand when I travel. Find it more stable than the Lowel stands I've come across. I think my Matthews stands are from this line:

http://www.msegrip.com/product/stands-1/kit/matthews-revenger-stands.html

For sand bags during air travel to places without local support, I'll bring along a sleeping bag stuff sack, and buy one or two 10lb bags of rice at a store. Put the rice, while still in bags, in the stuff sack.

Works for me.

I have a Matthews Preemie Baby stand that I use for most sit-down interviews. Very compact, yet very sturdy. The only downside is that it's pretty short. If the subject is sitting in a director's chair, or on a bar stool or something, I have to borrow a c-stand from grip department.

• 6 years later...
On 06/06/2011 at 10:17 AM, ProSound said:

I have a Lowel light stand similar to a Arri KS stand works fine for most things light weight and cheap. I have had it for 5 years. I do have a full black C-Stand but only bring that with me if we are doing something that is a very wide interview shot and we don't have a grip department. I would say I only use it once or twice a year link for KS stand is below

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/31879-REG/Lowel_DT_33_DT_33_KS_Jr_Light.html

Recently picked up this stand for a few travel gigs and its been working great. Been hanging my backpack off it with a carabiner and its been very solid. Thanks for the recommendation!