Writers' strike

Guest Mick

Does anyone have any information on the rumored writers' strike or is it just that, a rumor. I have heard of certain shows shooting extra episodes in case the season collapses later this year, but no solid info as yet.

Regards

Mick

Mick,

that is the word on the street. production should close to double the schedule in the next few months, then come nov. shut down for the writers strike. "reality shows" and non union features will be the only game in town.

good luck to all. I hope it is avoided all together or concluded real fast.

• 2 months later...

My guess would be that it's the same thing that is causing everyone heartburn right now - Internet and new media usage.  Even SAG is having heartburn with this one.  A commercial I'm in just got lifted to the Web, and it took about a month of negotiation before we settled on a fair usage rate.

Not sure it's worth striking over, but it probably does need to be resolved (ideally for everyone all at once).

Phil

How much do writers make? It has to be pretty good money. why can't people just be happy that they HAVE work? Are there some innerworkings going on here that I don't know about?

Dave you can't really be that naive to think that the writers are just happy to be working and don't want a salary increase. Would you just keep working for the same pay forever without seeking a raise? As for inner workings, suppose there are, why would you need to know about them?

Eric

I know they can't work for the same pay rate forever. Don't forget I live in Hell A. (to quote Bill Hicks), and even millionaires can't afford houses here. If they do have to strike in order to get a pay raise, then TV production is in a sad state of affairs. I guess I've been spoiled by the video game world, where we don't have issues like this.

the inner workings are, that the writers are producers and the producers are writers,and visa versa. so essentially they are striking against themselves??  its always about $$. the writers want a better piece of the internet, dvd, etc etc. we are going to suffer a little, hopefully it will get resovled in a timely matter (1 mo.)

then get ready for the other giulds who's contracts are up early next year, who also wants a piece of the WWW.$$.com

after reading in The Hollywood Reporter " In preparation for a possible writers strike, a lot of returning shows largely will forgo hiatuses, and some new shows also will go into production earlier than usual. " came this "The WGA issued its traditional “pattern of demands” Friday as a prelude to launching talks with the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers on July 16, and as expected new media figures front and center. "

the inner workings are, that the writers are producers and the producers are writers,and visa versa. so essentially they are striking against themselves?

No, the studios and big corporations are the ones that dole out the residuals. It's all about the ancillary market. The producers are not entirely the villains here (if I interpret the trade stories correctly).

I just hope to god this isn't as messy as the 1988 strike was...

--Marc W.

from The Hollywood Reporter: " The WGA sketched its negotiating posture for impending talks about a new film and TV contract, including dicey demands to sweeten Internet and DVD terms, and there was an immediate, sharp reaction from the management negotiator.  "

• 5 weeks later...

here's the latest, looks like both sides are digging in,  with SAG and DGA watching closely, as they are now inside the final year on their contracts.

of course the IATSE settled first, for peanuts!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/business/news/e3ib6d2c95cdf6b2ef3cb9e9be6a9d1b667

• 4 weeks later...

from today's Hollywood Reporter:

"A studio briefing Wednesday on looming talks with film and TV writers showed the parties miles apart, with management suggesting a study on how to eliminate writers' revenue participations even as union scribes seek expanded Internet residuals."

• 3 weeks later...

"Studio stockpiling shaped a 21% surge in Los Angeles-area production days in the second quarter compared with the same period a year ago. Film L.A. said newly released stats show a clear link between preparations for a possible strike in Hollywood and a ramp-up in film and TV activity. "

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i846f5eeb0e4ecde5af44bafb11555180

after 2 sessions, not very productive ones, negotiations are in a hiatus...

• 3 months later...

You know down deep down that a victory for the writers is a victory for us.

See you on the picket line, It's safe there won’t be any IA officials there.

And watch this

Inside dope:

http://deadlinehollywooddaily.com/

What writers do

A film on how the real fat cats are wallowing in Internet money.

And here are the show runners (producers that work) out in front of you

http://www.variety.com/index.asp?layout=photoGalleryAlbum&galleryid=405&order=14

All the news the corps decide as fit to print

http://www.variety.com/index.asp?layout=hottopic&id=2821

writers perspective

http://unitedhollywood.blogspot.com/

fun stuff

http://lateshowwritersonstrike.com/

wolf

Well, I went to the big rally on Hollywood Blvd. last week & ran into Elizabeth Alvarez, who told me 1) Jim had asked her to come, and 2) He would have come had he not been too busy. You can read the second part as you wish, but at the General Membership meeting  on 11/17 the WGA made a presentation and Jim was unreservedly on their side (as was most of the room).

I saw an email going around alluding to a rally that was apparently against the strike, but not ,per se, against the writers' position.

This is short-sighted. It is becoming clear that the writers' claims that the studios were not, pre-strike, bargaining in good faith, were true. The AMPTP apparently was counting on the DGA to come to the table early and sell out the WGA;  within hours of the DGA announcement that they would not bargain early the AMPTP agreed to come back to the table this week, dropping their stipulation that the WGA halt its strike first.

Andy Rovins