European production sound approach

Bartek

hello,

I just wanted to share with you an interesting approach to european production sound techniques.

I have worked on several TV productions from central europe, and was supprised by the unique system of audio recording employed by those productions.

The following is the setup that was used.

First of all this relates to HD.

The crew comprises of the mixer, boom op, and an additional mixer.

Everytime the equipment package involved 2 portadats, and sennheiser mics (60's and 30's).

The mixer controls dat 1 and is responsible for dialog recording.

The additional mixer works dat 2, and records the ambiant sound (in sync) with a MS stero pair (senn 60 + 30)

The mixer sends audio (dialog) to the camera,

"pulls" TC and word clock from the camera to 1 dat,

sincs dat 2 to dat 1 via the TC out of dat 1,

This system is used in order to minimise the post process. It must be also said that the camera dept works slightly different. A video technician controlls the "paint box" at all times and has a dedicated video assist monitor at all times. He also doubles up as a 2nd AC.

I found this way of doing audio very interesting, but cumbersome. Multiple camera setup was a real nightmare. Now to that add a location such ....lets say Burban St in New Orleans on a saturday night! 

Does anyone else have similar stories? I'd love to hear them.

Bartek

hello,

I just wanted to share with you an interesting approach to european production sound techniques.

I have worked on several TV productions from central europe, and was supprised by the unique system of audio recording employed by those productions.

Everytime the equipment package involved 2 portadats, and sennheiser mics (60's and 30's).

The additional mixer works dat 2, and records the ambiant sound (in sync) with a MS stero pair (senn 60 + 30)

This system is used in order to minimise the post process. It must be also said that the camera dept works slightly different. A video technician controlls the "paint box" at all times and has a dedicated video assist monitor at all times. He also doubles up as a 2nd AC.

I found this way of doing audio very interesting, but cumbersome. Multiple camera setup was a real nightmare. Now to that add a location such ....lets say Burban St in New Orleans on a saturday night! 

Bartek

The 2 DAT approach is interesting--I wonder how much of the "ambient" stereo version of a scene is used?  In my post work we end up wanting BGs to help hide the differences between the audio from the various shots of a scene, and thus would not want BGs that would cut w/every shot change--overall consistency is more useful.  Having a video tech w/ a paintbox and monitor who also serves as a assistant camreaman of sorts (helps w/ setup and lenses, but not focus pulls usually) is pretty much how small-drama/corporate/commercial video shoots are done in my town these days (SF).

Philip Perkins

Guest Jeff Colon

Hello,

Although never I never have used the type setup you describe, As New Orleans is My home,  I have done a few multi cam shoots on Bourbon St. Saturday night...

Gear issues aside, there is the constant ambience of drunken fools chanting "Show Your T*Ts".... and other assorted crunks making life miserable.  Although, I will still do it.... I only will if there is uniformed security.  This coming Tuesday is Mardi Gras... I will use my special storm (beerproof) rig... A psc m4a+ and lectro 190's, an old 416... no wires.

Anyone working in New Orleans is welcome to contact me through my website at nolavox.com, It is a great place, but like in any third world country, it helps to know the local customs ;)

Les Le Bon Tapes Rouler !

Jeff

Guest soundchris

hello,

Bartek

Hi Bartek!

I am working in Europe mostly and never came across such a setup in15 years. Where do you do this?

Cheers

Christian, Berlin