Sennehiser IEMs

S Harber

I'm wondering if anyone who is using the newer G3 versions has any opinions about their performance.

They do seem to be a good value and and very ubiquitous in the music world.

I was wondering how the range was vs IFBs or comteks. My understanding is that the audio quality is quite good and you can send a stereo mix where you could send a variation (no wires/mix minus etc) to boom ops that they can dial in at the receiver side.

Scott Harber

I´ve got the G2 for IFB. The only thing that bothers me (or the client for that matter) is the noise floor. Depending what headset one uses it becomes quite destracting. I used to supply Sony V150 as my standard but am looking again for a better option. When listening with my own 7506 it sounds very good.

The noise floor is there right when you turn the rec on, wether the tx is on or off and stays at that level until 8-10 were the noise becomes a bit heavier.

Was thinking of using headsets with buildin volume-thingy, adjust the volume on the rx to 8 and reduce it to proper level AND reducing the noise floor too with the build in one ...

Matthias

Sorry of this is a repeat post. I've had very good luck with the G3's as hops and as IFBs. Sometimes with a hop I use an extra receiver as a director's IFB. However, the G3's have new wiring, G2 cables will not work well at least with a line level feed as I use them. Sennheiser has not explained this well, I found it only in the literature that comes with the SK100 transmitter when bought separately. I learned about it the hard way when Location Sound used the old wiring on some TA3F to locking mini cables they made for me. The G2 wiring was tip = mic, ring = line, sleeve = ground. The G3 wiring for line level is tip = ground, ring = line, sleeve = ground. It's counterintuitive to ground the tip but if you don't the level will be very low and the noise high. Maybe you all know this by now. Best, Alan Barker

G3 SK100 wiring:

post-196-0-32104000-1309198589.png

I'm wondering if anyone who is using the newer G3 versions has any opinions about their performance.

They do seem to be a good value and and very ubiquitous in the music world.

I was wondering how the range was vs IFBs or comteks. My understanding is that the audio quality is quite good and you can send a stereo mix where you could send a variation (no wires/mix minus etc) to boom ops that they can dial in at the receiver side.

Scott Harber

The units I'm most interested in is this http://www.sennheiserusa.com/professional_wireless-microphone-systems_monitoring_ew-300-iem-g3_503420

It seems to be a base station like a Comtek BST. Not so concerned for OTS work but I do realize that there are the smaller transmitters for those kinds of apps.

Scott Harber

The units I'm most interested in is this http://www.sennheiserusa.com/professional_wireless-microphone-systems_monitoring_ew-300-iem-g3_503420

It seems to be a base station like a Comtek BST. Not so concerned for OTS work but I do realize that there are the smaller transmitters for those kinds of apps.

Scott Harber

using the G2 version of that one. Still the noise floor issue. Just talked to Sennheiser directly the other day and all they could say that with music IEM it is pretty much no issue. Production sound (dialog) is suffering. At least with some headsets.

What´s good about it is the stereo / focus mode. One freq serves two channels (2 BoomOps or BoomOps+Director etc)

Matthias

Scott Harber

I see these running as low as $780 or so for the basestation transmitter with a single receiver.

It just got me to start thinking.

S

I see these running as low as $780 or so for the basestation transmitter with a single receiver.

It just got me to start thinking.

S

I had been using Sennheiser G2's for years as in ear monitors and when the Uk changed it's frequencies I had to go onto G3's with the transmitter in the link for my cart and a bodypack size transmitter (mono) for process work.

I'm very pleased with the G3 and they don't seem any better or worse than the G2's which never gave me a moments problem.

Malcolm Davies. A.m.p.s.

I had been using Sennheiser G2's for years as in ear monitors and when the Uk changed it's frequencies I had to go onto G3's with the transmitter in the link for my cart and a bodypack size transmitter (mono) for process work.

I'm very pleased with the G3 and they don't seem any better or worse than the G2's which never gave me a moments problem.

Malcolm Davies. A.m.p.s.

what headphones were you using with the G2? Didn´t you find the noise floor too heavy?

I have my G2s since 5-6 yrs and still use them but on my last shoot the Director was complaining and so I´m looking again for better but still cheap headsets. I tried the JVC HA-S 150 which sounds better but still not as good as with my 7506.

Matthias

Also been using the G2 IEM packs for a few years. there is audible hiss but its not too bad, never had any complaints.. I use Senn HD202

what headphones were you using with the G2? Didn´t you find the noise floor too heavy?

I have my G2s since 5-6 yrs and still use them but on my last shoot the Director was complaining and so I´m looking again for better but still cheap headsets. I tried the JVC HA-S 150 which sounds better but still not as good as with my 7506.

Matthias

Malcolm Davies. A.m.p.s.

The Director and script supervisor and Boom Ops get HD 25's and everyone else gets HD 280's.

I can honestly say that I have never been aware of any floor noise at all and I certainly never had any problems reported.Maybe I've been lucky!!

Malcolm Davies. A.m.p.s.

The Director and script supervisor and Boom Ops get HD 25's and everyone else gets HD 280's.

I can honestly say that I have never been aware of any floor noise at all and I certainly never had any problems reported.Maybe I've been lucky!!

Malcolm Davies. A.m.p.s.

it´s probably cause you using high end headphones. Directors so far wanted smthing small and light weight and not too isolating. I might get some high end sets and then let em choose.

One more info: when in stereo-mode the range is app 50% of when in mono-mode!

Cheers, Matthias