Rate inquiry

Trying to get info on rates in various cities. Here are the areas I'm interested in: Chicago, Dallas, Philly, New York, Minneapolis, and Seattle. This is for a home improvement show and the time frame is three days total but every other day. Gear required is at least a four channel mixer, four wireless, boom mic, two channel camera hop, back up two channel recorder, and one Comtek or equivalent. Ten hour days plus ot if necessary. I'll pass this info along to the producer so PM me with contact info if this is something you would be interested in doing. I'd also like a gear list with the quote, and how many years of experience so I can compare apples to apples.

Mics are to be concealed as well. Forgot to note that.

Thanks,

Bernie

Trying to get info on rates in various cities. Here are the areas I'm interested in: Chicago, Dallas, Philly, New York, Minneapolis, and Seattle. This is for a home improvement show and the time frame is three days total but every other day. Gear required is at least a four channel mixer, four wireless, boom mic, two channel camera hop, back up two channel recorder, and one Comtek or equivalent. Ten hour days plus ot if necessary. I'll pass this info along to the producer so PM me with contact info if this is something you would be interested in doing. I'd also like a gear list with the quote, and how many years of experience so I can compare apples to apples.

Mics are to be concealed as well. Forgot to note that.

Thanks,

Bernie

71 views and no information? This is for a producer I work for on the show I described. If they take it on the road they will likely hire locally. This info will be used to budget and hire sound in/near the citites listed.

Thanks,

Bernie

71 views and no information? This is for a producer I work for on the show I described. If they take it on the road they will likely hire locally. This info will be used to budget and hire sound in/near the citites listed.

Thanks,

Bernie

I tried to send you a pm, but for some reason i got a notice that you can't receive any more messages...? Possible full inbox? Got an email?

-Greg-

I tried to send you a pm, but for some reason i got a notice that you can't receive any more messages...? Possible full inbox? Got an email?

-Greg-

I don't think my pm inbox is full. In fact I don't see where it is. I just went to my profile and did a test of the send email function found there and it landed in my personal email box just fine. It was addressed from the discussion group. Try that and if it doesn't work let me know and I'll provide my email address.

Thanks,

Bernie

There was huge conversation just before we switched over to this new forum. The topic: "What should the labor rate be on a pickup day of a huge movie?" eventually morphed into the answer to your question.

Found it but its too general. I'm looking for specifics re: gear and labor per each city.

Best,

Bernie

Got it, Thanks Jack. Where is our email box on this new forum? I can't find it and I don't know why its not working.

Best,

Bernie

It should be right up under the JWSOUND header where your login name appears: "Signed in as Bernie" and there is a notifications box next to the drop down menu that should alert you to a message. The drop down menu down about 5th position should be Messenger. I'm going to send you a PM now to see if it is working.

I'm going to send you a PM now to see if it is working.

Not able to send you a message... bummer. You should try and go into your settings for Messenger and see if your message box is full for some reason or you have set it to not be able to receive messages. I will do some more investigating on my end.

It should be right up under the JWSOUND header where your login name appears: "Signed in as Bernie" and there is a notifications box next to the drop down menu that should alert you to a message. The drop down menu down about 5th position should be Messenger. I'm going to send you a PM now to see if it is working.

Jeff when i click on the dropdown menu - the menu flashes but doesn't stay there. So I can't click on any of the items.

Not able to send you a message... bummer. You should try and go into your settings for Messenger and see if your message box is full for some reason or you have set it to not be able to receive messages. I will do some more investigating on my end.

Thanks Jeff,

It was full so I went through and made some room. I found it by reading the handy help section which is what I should have done in the first place. Thanks for responding and helping.

Best,

Bernie

" This info will be used to budget and hire sound in/near the citites listed. "

What do they pay you for this gig?? What gear do you supply for it?? while there may be local varaitions, this would provide a guide for folks to respond.

I suspect there is a fear of quoting low, and being hired lowball, "leaving money on the table", or quoting high, and being removed from consideration...

Edited by studiomprd

What do they pay you for this gig?? while there may be local varaitions, this would provide a guide for folks to respond.

I suspect there is a fear of quoting low, and being hired lowball, "leaving money on the table", or quoting high, and being removed from consideration...

PRE-cisely. I would be all over this, as I am a home improvement nut as well as a sound mixer (have gear, will travel!) but I don't want to price myself out of the running in either direction. In this economy, everyone is playing things close to the vest, which just makes it more difficult to get an accurate picture of what your skills could or should be worth, or how much a project should be paying for a position.

If you aren't afraid of bringing a traveling soundie in, I'd be happy to talk to you about this, as I am located in South Carolina / Georgia area at the moment... But I fear no travel. I will happily go where the gig is.

--Jim

Gator Audio - I can't spell ADR.

What do they pay you for this gig?? What gear do you supply for it?? while there may be local varaitions, this would provide a guide for folks to respond.

Hi Mike,

Did you read my original post? I thought I was very clear as to the scenario and gear needed. I didn't post what they pay because they're trying to get an idea of rates so they can budget accordingly. I will just pass on any info I get including contact info and they will decide what they want to do.

Best,

Bernie

Hi Mike,

Did you read my original post? I thought I was very clear as to the scenario and gear needed. I didn't post what they pay because they're trying to get an idea of rates so they can budget accordingly. I will just pass on any info I get including contact info and they will decide what they want to do.

Best,

Bernie

Why not figure $800 per day ($550/10 + $250 for gear). Pretty sure $800 per day will cover your audio budget. Probably have change left over. OTOH production can establish a budget and offer a set rate per day.

Eric

Thanks, Eric,

that is a good way to deal with budgeting, even if they get a lower rate in one market, and a higher rate in another. Or they could just plug in Bernie's rates! (guess that might be where I was going...) as an average projected rate.

but I have read, reread, and now again reread your OP, Bernie, and I see you as "fishing" for your client; this is not necessarily bad, and I expect that they will appreciate your recommendations, as will folks from here appreciate being recommended.

I'm not trying to rile you in any way, but you did ask for equipment lists (not out of line) but just as well as you helping your clients find good, experienced, properly equipped professionals for the gigs, you can help your friends here in our jwsound community put forth their best, proper offers (through your screening) and create win-win-win situations all around!

Thanks, Eric,

that is a good way to deal with budgeting, even if they get a lower rate in one market, and a higher rate in another. Or they could just plug in Bernie's rates! (guess that might be where I was going...) as an average projected rate.

but I have read, reread, and now again reread your OP, Bernie, and I see you as "fishing" for your client; this is not necessarily bad, and I expect that they will appreciate your recommendations, as will folks from here appreciate being recommended.

I'm not trying to rile you in any way, but you did ask for equipment lists (not out of line) but just as well as you helping your clients find good, experienced, properly equipped professionals for the gigs, you can help your friends here in our jwsound community put forth their best, proper offers (through your screening) and create win-win-win situations all around!

I'm not riled in any way, sorry if I came across that way. I just don't have any more info than what I stated. The production company in question usually shoots either in Sacramento and elsewhere on the west coast, or here in the Twin Cities. They do three shows and I think they are looking to go to the cities listed to get a more diverse look to the shows. I'm assuming they're trying to decide if they want to travel sound crew or hire locally. I don't list my rate because its based on very long term work with them, and isn't for a one time or short term gig.

I wanted the gear list and experience level because I've worked on another traveling show that mostly hired sound locally and the gear quality and experience level was all over the place. I appreciate the concern about a bidding war, but so far the rates have been comparable and mostly from New York. I gave them just the rates and not names so far but if they decide to go there I'll provide them with contact info so they'll know who to call. I'd love to have anyone on this forum have a shot at this work if/when its available.

Best,

Bernie

Eric, sorry to butt in on this, but why only $250 for that gear package?

Seems ridiculously low for 4 wires, camera hop, and a multi track recorder!

I don't do this kind of gig normally, but it seems your pricing does devalue the rate for everyone's equipment packages, no matter what type of work we do.

I don't feel I could rent a similar package from any rental house for anywhere close to that amount.

Aim I bit higher for quality equipment.

Eric, sorry to butt in on this, but why only $250 for that gear package?

Seems ridiculously low for 4 wires, camera hop, and a multi track recorder!

I don't do this kind of gig normally, but it seems your pricing does devalue the rate for everyone's equipment packages, no matter what type of work we do.

I don't feel I could rent a similar package from any rental house for anywhere close to that amount.

Aim I bit higher for quality equipment.

The back up recorder is an inexpensive non time coded two track, not a 744 or 702. Thanks everyone for responding to this thread. I think it gives a good idea of what the company should expect to pay for sound. I work on only one of the three shows and I don't know what the other crews are doing for rates.

Best,

Bernie

Does kit rental fluctuate that much in different markets? I feel like the negotiating of kit fluctuates every time you answer the phone, but as an average does a 788T get a different rate in NYC than it does in El Paso?

Like I said, I feel like it's a negotiation for each job, and the package is often not exactly the same anyway. I know there have been threads here and on RAMPS about the general rental price in the sense of a percentage of the price the gear was to buy. I also feel like some small town project is going to have to rent from a bigger town anyway. If I was in the middle of Kentucky and needed to rent 4 Lectro 411s, I would probably call a place in NYC.... so I would be paying NYC prices. My labor might not be the same, but the kit costs the same for everyone, regardless of zip code.