rf absorbing material

rich

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I may follow your lead on this one rob. The only trouble is that I like to use the ifb feature of the trx900aa and completely covering the unit in this material will kill that signal as well.

Any issues with having a conductive surface touching all the connectors and parts of the zfr? On my sta150 all the connectors, including the DC input, seem to share a common ground anyway.

Haven't noticed any ill effects on the ZFR... I monitor the return from it regularly and don't hear any grounding problems.

I imagine this solution would be less useful for people using the TRX900 as you wouldn't want to stifle your camera hop, but you could at least wrap the body of the unit and leave the antenna free. That way you'd reduce the RF spray from the recorder itself and leave the antenna free to transmit. Worth a try anyway.

• 5 months later...

I run a 788T/CL8 in the bag with 4 SRa. I have been wondering about possible rf spray from the 788 and also the sensitivity of the SRa to it. THe SRa being so small and meant for slot use is telling me that it could be more sensitive to this.

The question ( and it might help Derek H here ) is should i wrap the 788 or wrap the SRa in the fabric?

Thanks

I just spoke with a guy at the vendor, he was saying that also ( wrap the recorder ). He was also saying that a simple partition in between the recorder and the receivers might work but that i should use a material called Cobaltex ( reflective RF material ) with an absorptive RF material so that the RF would not potentially damage the recorder. But he was saying that it could be the case but not really sure and if it was not completely wrap that it could be used without the absorptive material.

THe way i use my equipment, is starting from me: 788, CL8, SRa,LMa ( hop tx ). So i bought of using the 788-CL8 gap to drop in a partition of metrical in between the 788 and CL8 using them to hold the fabric.

Might try it.

Thanks

The entry for RF into the SRa is the antennas. Wrapping the antennas in absorptive material will indeed reduce the interference pickup but it will reduce the desired signals as well. Turning the SRa off, would essentially do the same thing.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

I run a 788T/CL8 in the bag with 4 SRa. I have been wondering about possible rf spray from the 788 and also the sensitivity of the SRa to it. THe SRa being so small and meant for slot use is telling me that it could be more sensitive to this.

The question ( and it might help Derek H here ) is should i wrap the 788 or wrap the SRa in the fabric?

Thanks

I just tried the Cobaltex with my 744t and 411a's (Blocks 19 and 21). I seemed to be getting a lot of RF spray from the recorder, which was separated from the receivers by a Petrol divider.

Wrapping the 744t in the Cobaltex helped, but only slightly. I now have moved the receiver to the outside pockets of the bag and kept the wrap around the recorder. It has given me much less RF spray, but I don't like how wide of a footprint my bag has now. I tried to swap the mixer and recorder and have the recorder against my chest, 744 in the middle, and then the receivers, but the width of the bag didn't allow that with the connections on both sides of the 442.

Marc

• 10 months later...

I am getting a lot of RF noise on my micron receivers as soon as i turn the Tascam DR-680 on (it's basically white noise). I tried to move them up to my harness, and that worked good, so i am thinking now of a way to absorb the rf spray from the recorder. Is wrapping around the recorder with absorption material a good idea? Still looking for distrubutor of this materials in Europe.

I am getting a lot of RF noise on my micron receivers as soon as i turn

the Tascam DR-680 on (it's basically white noise). I tried to move them

up to my harness, and that worked good, so i am thinking now of a way to

absorb the rf spray from the recorder.

This solution to a similar problem on the Sound Devices website could possibly be applied to your setup.

http://www.sounddevices.com/notes/recorders/788/788t-w-wireless-in-38-40/

Unfortunately my Micron cable (2Aocph-HR4) for two receivers, powered by NP1 is already wired the way Sound Devices recommends. Anyway i have this problem with or without the NP1 Hawkwoods power splitter, and without any cables connected to the recorder. The moment i turn the tascam on, i get white noise on SD 442's channels. If the tascam is off, problem goes away. My wireless are in 840-864 range. The only thing that works is put them on my shoulders strapped to my harness. I have to get an extender cable to power them up ,though.

• 2 months later...

guess you still haven't solved the issue to your satisfaction...

as to the RF material,  does increasing the spacing of the units help ?? typically the material acts like a bit of additional spacing...

haha yes well i'm looking for a workaround until both the Nomad and SRa are headed back to their respective HQ's for upgrades. HAT prevails.

moving it further from the Nomad's hirose power jack helps slightly, but there's only so far you can space things in a bag.

• 1 year later...

Could anyone achieve good results with cobaltex so far?

I'm building a DIY bag these weeks and I'm looking for a RF shielding material to even put on the Receivers side of my Recorder

or to build a small wall out of it, between Recorder and the Receivers. What do you think is better?

I found an interesting material produced just 50 miles away from me. Its called "swiss shield naturelle", could that be something?

I'll try to get a piece and will report back...