4 way time code cable

Devendra Cleary

Until all time code devices have the same connectivity, we must continuously re-patch cables if we're jamming a variety of boxes on the same shoot. I decided to build this fan out cable to jam the obvious 1/4" and 5 pin lemo. Thought it wouldn't hurt to include BNC. My hesitation was with the mini... I'm hoping to jam Zaxcom TXs but I heard that some TXs may be wired with the hot on the sleeve, but this is not confirmed. I built it with hot on the tip and i'll try it out. I suppose zax net would solve this but until then...

Note: this cable is for jamming one device at a time.

-Devendra Cleary

post-754-131044488308.jpg

post-754-131044492262.jpg

Until all time code devices have the same connectivity, we must continuously re-patch cables if we're jamming a variety of boxes on the same shoot. I decided to build this fan out cable to jam the obvious 1/4" and 5 pin lemo. Thought it wouldn't hurt to include BNC. My hesitation was with the mini... I'm hoping to jam Zaxcom TXs but I heard that some TXs may be wired with the hot on the sleeve, but this is not confirmed. I built it with hot on the tip and i'll try it out. I suppose zax net would solve this but until then...

Note: this cable is for jamming one device at a time.

-Devendra Cleary

Hi Devendra

just had a look at the zaxcom tx manual. it says specifically not to use a mono connector fro the STA adapters, rather to use a 3 pin and don not connect the ring

on pg65 (at least on the version i have).

That is cool.

I have an XLR "y" cable on the back of my cart with one side going to mono 1/4" for slates (over which I place a 1/4" to 1/8" stereo adapter to jam Denecke boxes), and the other side going to Lemo.

But these days I just jam my slates and then use the slates to jam lockits at the camera or jam the camera themselves. I have a 1/4" to lemo and a 1/4" to 1/8", which covers it all.

Robert

• 1 year later...

I have two kind of cables I currently use: lemo-lemo and lemo-BNC (and another one the other way around).

As my lemo-lemo is kind of short, so I use my lemo-BNC and a coax-cable to get from my recorder to the camera. But coax isn't nice to work with, got to dig in my cart to get the right cable and it takes too long to put it back neatly.

Would be much easier with a microphone cable. So I'd like to make a cable lemo-xlr and xlr-everything like Devendra made. But what are the schematics of the connectors?

• 5 months later...

The PD-6 used male and female XLR connections on the side of the machine for TC in and out. I don't know if they followed any kind of standard for the wiring, but it was two separate jacks and not like the two way Lemo. On the plus side, it was really easy (and cheap) to make my own TC cables, so I always had a bunch in the emergency case. That said, I love that the Nomad uses BNCs. I never felt the Lemo5 was robust enough for bag run&gun work even if it's tiny size is a space saver.

Can't remember the exact cost. But what made this such a quick build was how I just bought pre-made male-male 1/4", 1/8", BNC, and 5 pin lemo. Sniped them in half and soldered them each into their own XLRM. The priciest part was the pre-made 5pin Lemo. Probably $50. The other parts probably totaled out to $20.

-Devendra Cleary, CAS

Is there a place where I can buy a cable like this?? What your price... ha. Great Idea!

I had Blake and MONY at Wilcox sound in Burbank build me a really nice red one... all Neutrik except the lemo and BNC... similar to the one pictured above.... only my lemo will go both ways.... I can't say how much I love that cable.... it always stays plugged in and I can feed almost anything...