Technical Reference?

Eric Burge

Jeff,

I just noticed this heading. Is it a new addition? No posts yet so it can't be too old. IMHO, I'd think it has huge potential to evolve into a really active and valuable category. Any thoughts for direction, relevant material, posting guidelines, etc.?

EB

I have some ideas for this area, that's why I put up the heading --- but you are right, nothing there yet. I would like to hear from others some ideas --- Marc Wielage had contacted me with a request to post an owner's manual for the Fostex PD-4, but I haven't done that yet. It was that request that prompted me to put up the "Technical Reference" board.

-  JW

It would be great to also have some manuals for geaer some of us don't use all that often but might rent.  Some suggestions:  Deva 4/5/Mix12, Cantar, PD6, PD4, Cooper 208, MOTU Traveler and 8pre, Metacorder, Mackie Onyx, Zax wireless (all models).  I seem to recall that Scott Farr had posted a lot of these on his own site, so maybe it isn't necesary after all....

Philip Perkins

I seem to recall that Scott Farr had posted a lot of these on his own site, so maybe it isn't necesary after all....

Philip Perkins

When Marc made the request, I thought that Scott Farr had archived all sorts of manuals, but I'm not sure where they are posted.

Regards, Jeff Wexler

I have some ideas for this area, that's why I put up the heading --- but you are right, nothing there yet. I would like to hear from others some ideas --- Marc Wielage had contacted me with a request to post an owner's manual for the Fostex PD-4, but I haven't done that yet. It was that request that prompted me to put up the "Technical Reference" board.

-  JW

I remember some discussion a while back, when several of us were sharing ideas for configuring various multi-component-based systems, that once a specific combo was tested and locked down, that it would be nice to post results [work-flow, patching schemes, etc.] so as to save much brethren heartache in reinventing the [lab-rat] wheel. Personally, the MOTU/MAC/01V96/744T combo, [all digital devices, etc.] comes to mind...

Your own posts regarding an increase in prosumer equipment applications in the [pro-audio] production domain eludes to this. There are diminishing SOPs as we inevitably move forward toward more computer-based systems. This sort of reality offers more latitude [limitations?] for subjective and anecdotal "referencing" than single manufacturer, model-specific manuals, etc. Although a database of popular manufacturer manuals would be a great resource, it is becoming increasingly apparent that interfacing an expanding matrix of boxes presents issues beyond the scope of one manufacturer's practical knowledge base.

...hence my query.

EB

Jeff I have a ton of maunals and tried to post them via my .mac account but it wouldnt post them in a very well organized manner. I will try to repost again.

Scott: if you contact me either on or off this group, we could talk about putting up your collection of manuals here. I thought you had your own website now which would be a good place to organize and post these things --- then I could just put a prominent link up here.

Let's talk.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

Jeff,

I started a compilation of equipment manuals on the site I share with Tom Brandau. There's not much available right now but if people were to supply me with some pdf files, I could easily add more. It would be no sweat to put them in alphabetical order. If there are a lot, I could divide the listings into recorders, mixers, etc.

I posted to a section of the site called FYI:

http://www.productionrecording.com/fyi/IndexFYI.html

For a direct link to the page:

http://www.productionrecording.com/fyi/EquipmentLibrary.html

David Waelder

everyone,

do you think endusers or mixers etc. would be interested in something like "how to do" dvd's . my customer has started to "shoot" dvd's on things like how to boom or mix or setup a certain recording situation.I was thinking it would be cool if manufactorers would supply these dvd's for there respected products. for example, you purchase a multi track recorder, and along with the accessories you would get the dvd, demonstrating how to set up that item and operate it. bacsically a interactive form of a manual. it might be useful.  any ideas ??  (EB?)

fs