canadian crew filming in the US

hi guys,

i m just about to start a 20 day reality-show gig in California next month, as a canadian soundman, i never worked in the US, my gear never crossed the border either and i m afraid that the production company i m being hired by is new to the process of sending a people across the border for work.. we re all canadians for a canadian show paid in Canada.. i feel that the production company is undermining the complexity of it all.. any fellow canadians sound people that have been through this could give me some pointers on the subject? last thing i want is not making it passed the border and having to hustle with the production company to pay me because it s their fault they didn t make it proper...

thanks,

Dominique

Hi Dominique,

I'm a US citizen so I'm not 100% sure how this might apply to you. Any time we take our gear out if the country we have to itemize and declare the value of our gear prior to leaving the country. This is done with the US Customs and Border Patrol. You may have a similar form to fill out for the Canadians.

Also, check on work permits. Yes, you are being paid by a Canadian company but the work is being performed in the US.

I would verify their production insurance covers loss and damage during international travel.

Hey Dominique,

I'm based in Canada and have worked in the US numerous times.

Do you have a Carnet ? You will need one. It is a passport to get gear across.

As for yourself, Canadian productions, airing in Canada and paid for by canadian producers can bring there own people if it is Documentary or News, but I believe if the show falls under other categories they can refuse you at the border. I haven't been turned away yet, but I've had to sweet talk a few custom agents. I wasn't lying about any of the information, but I find most don't even know what is and what isn't permitted. I guess I'm also lucky, because when I tell them we are working on a french language production (and most of my work these day is in french) they understand why we would need to bring down our own people.

Hi Dominique,

I'm a US citizen so I'm not 100% sure how this might apply to you. Any time we take our gear out if the country we have to itemize and declare the value of our gear prior to leaving the country. This is done with the US Customs and Border Patrol. You may have a similar form to fill out for the Canadians.

Also, check on work permits. Yes, you are being paid by a Canadian company but the work is being performed in the US.

I would verify their production insurance covers loss and damage during international travel.

If you are refused entry, you will be hassled everytime you try to cross in the future (work or pleasure!)

Get a carnet.

Have the prod co write a letter on their letterhead, signed by the owner/president or whomever has absolute power in the company, stating that it is a Canadian show, canadian money, only air in canada, etc.

Express your concerns with the prod co before you leave. Your ability to travel to the USA is on the line and only you will suffer!

I've traveled to three different Carnet countries this year. The only one that gives you a hard time is the United States. No one else gives a shit.

Get a Carnet. Try to get production to pay for it or have your gear added to there Carnet. It costs about seven to eight hundred bucks to get one.

"The only one that gives you a hard time is the United States. No one else gives a shit."

As both a U.S. citizen and also a Canadian citizen, I'm glad that ICE "gives a shit"!

Unlike Canada, this country has been attacked by terrorists and is a huge target. We all should be on alert and vigilant on any one crossing our borders.

On December 13th 1999 an alert U.S. Customs Inspector, Diana Dean decided to do a second check on Ahmed Ressam's car that arrived in Port Angeles Washington via a ferry from Victoria British Columbia. It was Ahmed's nervousness that alerted the customs official. The explosives that were destined to be used at a passenger terminal at Los Angeles International airport, were concealed under the cover of the spare tire in the car trunk wheel well. http://en.wikipedia....ki/Ahmed_Ressam

So I say, inspect, hassle and question away.

Just get the correct documentation, don't look too nervous and it will all be fine.

Hmmm. Not to stir the pot but my understanding is that it's downright impossible for any US crew person (except a DP) to work in Canada (UK too), how come all that's needed is a "carnet" and Canadians are good to go here? Is it just that the US lets anyone make money here? Just wondering. Maybe I'm completely off here but if I'm right well that's not fair. Anyhow I hope you enjoy your stint here and that the gig goes well Dominique!

Dan Izen

If you are working for a Canadian company, paid in Canadian dollars and working on a production that airs in Canada first, you should be good to go (in most cases)

In no way have I ever travelled to the USA to work on an American project.

The same should apply to an American coming to Canada, I would hope.

Inspection of baggage and a carnet are different issue as I understand them. The former is pretty obvious and will happen whether you have a carnet or not. The latter is in place to prevent people from importing expensive things like sound equipment into the US without paying duty. You prove you took it out and thus can bring it back in w/o payment.

phil p

"The only one that gives you a hard time is the United States. No one else gives a shit."

As both a U.S. citizen and also a Canadian citizen, I'm glad that ICE "gives a shit"!

Unlike Canada, this country has been attacked by terrorists and is a huge target. We all should be on alert and vigilant on any one crossing our borders.

On December 13th 1999 an alert U.S. Customs Inspector, Diana Dean decided to do a second check on Ahmed Ressam's car that arrived in Port Angeles Washington via a ferry from Victoria British Columbia. It was Ahmed's nervousness that alerted the customs official. The explosives that were destined to be used at a passenger terminal at Los Angeles International airport, were concealed under the cover of the spare tire in the car trunk wheel well. http://en.wikipedia....ki/Ahmed_Ressam

So I say, inspect, hassle and question away.

Just get the correct documentation, don't look too nervous and it will all be fine.

richard:

everyone is a target.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Toronto_terrorism_plot

the annoying thing is, with the importance of security, CBP hours are being cut back. I have flown into many small centres where the offices are no longer staffed on the weekend. this is also listed on the CBP website, for anyone who wants to circumvent the system...

ao

Whenever I come to the US I need the relevant visa, an I Visa if I'm working on a factual doc, or an O visa if I'm working on a feature or entertainment show, the carnet just sorts the kit.

Was told that I would need an I or an O visa next time I travel for a Canadian production in the US. Having a simple letter on production company letterhead explaining what you're working on is a requirement, as well.

20 days is a little on the long side, so don't let the production company brush off any concerns.

Carnet is a must. Make sure it is filled out correctly at EVERY step along the way... Very, very hard to have mistakes (usually made in another country) corrected after the fact.

If you think you can use the carnet again within one year, split the cost of a carnet with production company, otherwise they should pay for the entire cost.

Have fun,

Rich

Was told that I would need an I or an O visa next time I travel for a Canadian production in the US. Having a simple letter on production company letterhead explaining what you're working on is a requirement, as well.

20 days is a little on the long side, so don't let the production company brush off any concerns.

Carnet is a must. Make sure it is filled out correctly at EVERY step along the way... Very, very hard to have mistakes (usually made in another country) corrected after the fact.

If you think you can use the carnet again within one year, split the cost of a carnet with production company, otherwise they should pay for the entire cost.

Have fun,

Rich

Further to what Rich and Ao have said regarding carnets, I have been snookered a couple of times not being able to find US customs officers on duty at some airports to sign a carnet. La Guardia in New York was one instance (on a weekend). Air Canada commuter flights use this airport. Also had trouble in Charlotte NC once. It's a big PITA when you get back home. we actually went to US customs (in Ottawa) after the flight to sort it out. we arrived late, so we went back the next day. The officer was very understanding, and because we made an effort to do the right thing, he fixed things for us (not standard procedure though). Haven`t had the work visa issue yet. Thanks for the heads up. You`re right about no issues when shooting a French show. Chris

By law, a Canadian needs a visa to work in the US. But customs understand that for a Canadian show aired in Canada for a Canadian production company, they let you in. It is the same in reverse, for a US Citizen. Problem is that if you are on a feature with worldwide distribution, the "airing in the US Only" portion is questionable. Also the production loose tax incentives and credit for each members.

Pascal

Hmmm. Not to stir the pot but my understanding is that it's downright impossible for any US crew person (except a DP) to work in Canada (UK too), how come all that's needed is a "carnet" and Canadians are good to go here? Is it just that the US lets anyone make money here? Just wondering. Maybe I'm completely off here but if I'm right well that's not fair. Anyhow I hope you enjoy your stint here and that the gig goes well Dominique!

Dan Izen

Agreed

Dan and Stacy, it's not about taking jobs from Americans. The shoots we are talking about are Canadian, paid by Canadian producer not American to be aired in Canada only. When a US production wants to shoot in Canada something for US distribution, it is the same thing.

No Canadian can come and work a US job in the US without visas or Greencard. I lived for 10 years in the US and had to pay 10000$ in lawyer fee and INS fee to ge my greencard when simple paperwork and residency will give you a Canadian work permit with no fee.

Trust me going over the border for a Canadian is MUCH MORE complicated then the opposite. The US is closed as far as immigration compared to the rest of the world. It is not my business to question this since it is a democratic descision to do so but not many Americans are aware of this.

Hope this helps clearing the issue and have fun Dominique with the shoot, LA is very nice.

Pascal

Hey Pascal thanks for chiming in your post was very informative. But I'm not completely convinced about the dollars thing. If a US movie wants to shoot in Canada for a movie that could be released in Canada, the US, and everywhere else, I don't think it's easy to get US crew people on it. A set photographer friend of mine's father is a big time producer who started making movies in Canada - he couldn't hire his daughter. If they don't allow nepotism why would they allow regular hiring?

I don't understand this sentence:

No Canadian can come and work a US job in the US without visas or Greencard. I lived for 10 years in the US and had to pay 10000$ in lawyer fee and INS fee to ge my greencard when simple paperwork and residency will give you a Canadian work permit with no fee.

Huh? You mean that after 10 years living in the US you still had to pay $10k and lawyer fees just to work here? So you're saying if you had been a US citizen and lived in Canada for 10 years, all you would need is some paperwork and you can work? That isn't very balanced, but that's a different situation since I don't want to have to move to Canada in order to work there.

You're right I don't think of the US as being "closed" to immigration, in fact the opposite. New Orleans is FULL of legal (and some illegal) immigrants that are rebuilding the city. Most are from Mexico, so how did they get here if the US is closed to immigration? (btw I love diversity and I think the city is better for it I ain't complaining.)

Dan Izen

Hmmm. Not to stir the pot but my understanding is that it's downright impossible for any US crew person (except a DP) to work in Canada (UK too), how come all that's needed is a "carnet" and Canadians are good to go here?

A carnet is really only a document for one's gear, it essentially documents your equipment's exportation to another country and importation back into your home country.

Any citizen of a country that is a member of the Carnet System who is traveling to another country that recognizes the system would need a carnet for equipment, not just Canadians traveling to the US or vice versa.

One's ability to enter the US to work is an immigration issue and pretty much a separate issue at point of entry.

Cheers,

Rich

Hmmm. Not to stir the pot but my understanding is that it's downright impossible for any US crew person (except a DP) to work in Canada (UK too), how come all that's needed is a "carnet" and Canadians are good to go here?

Dan Izen

A carnet won't allow you to work in another country. Like Rich pointed out, it's really only meant to help gear cross the border.

As to the claim that it's impossible for US crew to work in Canada, well, I know of a US sound mixer that worked on a feature film here in Vancouver a few years back. Although unusual, I'm sure this sort of hiring happens in many other countries as well.

Stephane

Our own productions sometimes will hire a local soundie when shooting in any other country to make the job so they save on hotels and airplane tickets... so any scenario that'd come up here, I'm not gonna cry or tear my shirt about it. Prod houses are very creative at saving money ...