Female Reality Mixer - Detroit Local?

If they ask to hire a women, let them! I did a job recently, and found out when I got there that they were desperately trying to hire a women instead of me... when I walked in, it was for a Women's Labor Conference! I was the only male there. I kept my mouth shut and did my job and got out of there quick!

;)

I can totally understand a religious, cultural gender sensitivity situation. Probably hard enough to get access period, much less heightening the situation with a crew that ends up defeating the point of getting the access. "Great..we're here and everyone's clamming up or otherwise acting abnormally."

Tom, did the meeting content rate high on sensitive issues? I mean..was it that they wanted to maintain privacy or was it the principle of a male working at a female labor event?

A number of years back I did a doco on the Women's Refuge Movement (a home for women to get away from abusive relationships), where the cam op and I were both males. This defineatly hindered the project to the point where once they refused to let us film due to our gender. To be honest I could not blame them.

As it happened I remembered one of the women who ran one of the refuges that I had lived in as a child some 20 odd years earlier, and she remembered some of the mischief I had got up to as a youngster. This helped to open some doors.

I still feel the project suffered due to not having an all female crew.

• 3 months later...