Has anyone made their own boom caddy?

Built mine a few weeks ago, and the first time I used it I knew it was an indispensable piece of my prod sound rig.

I used the Trew audio model as a design concept, with some slight changes.

I found the parts at Home Depot, and after about $50 and 3 hours of labor it was done!

Its great because it will support a K-Tek boom at full extension, and you can use it as a chair between takes.

It also separates into three pieces (top, bottom, and pvc middle piece) for transportation/storage.

Looking into adding a cable/headphone hook soon.

Enjoy!

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/312546_2413195727334_1174524888_2967400_1620542325_n.jpg

- Eric Wegener

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the idea of making my own caddy is spinning around my head these days, don't have a time to make it tho.

and I'm still wondering which kind is best......

I like this ladder idea....!

Here is the boom stand/caddy that I made from an aluminum folding step stool/ladder.

post-1-0-87156600-1311537828.jpeg

Isn't this ladder-boom stand thing reflecting light, if it's close to action?

My current DoP is often warning those who wear cloths that are brighter than brown... I always wear black or brown cloths..

But also C stands and many other things (light technicians's ladders) on set are reflective as well..... I don't know.... I would still paint it in black maybe.

the idea of making my own caddy is spinning around my head these days, don't have a time to make it tho.

and I'm still wondering which kind is best......

I like this ladder idea....!

Isn't this ladder-boom stand thing reflecting light, if it's close to action?

My current DoP is often warning those who wear cloths that are brighter than brown... I always wear black or brown cloths..

But also C stands and many other things (light technicians's ladders) on set are reflective as well..... I don't know.... I would still paint it in black maybe.

I once had a DOP tell me not to come too close with the CMIT cus it's blue... :S

One thing I've really learned from shootings is: "Stay out of the light" now it's just natural to me. I can be invisible with green shirts even. If I know where to be, I'm fine. Hell. everyone but the sound crew can wear any color jackets and sunglasses and other heavily reflective crap...

I say get a chrome microphone and a head lamp. Hah! Take that you fanned HMIs and cameras! And put a little reflector screen on the Boom caddy as well :) They can fix it in post

Edited by Ollesjostrom

Built mine a few weeks ago, and the first time I used it I knew it was an indispensable piece of my prod sound rig.

I used the Trew audio model as a design concept, with some slight changes.

I found the parts at Home Depot, and after about $50 and 3 hours of labor it was done!

Its great because it will support a K-Tek boom at full extension, and you can use it as a chair between takes.

It also separates into three pieces (top, bottom, and pvc middle piece) for transportation/storage.

Looking into adding a cable/headphone hook soon.

Enjoy!

http://a6.sphotos.ak...620542325_n.jpg

- Eric Wegener

Tell us how you made it! Atleast the materials! I wanna see some more pictures

I haven't gotten around to making my own caddy yet, but I frequently use my sit down interview rig, which is a light stand with a grip head and a boom holder on it, tilt the boom holder vertical, and I hang my boom from it during down times. Not everything I want, but it's safer than leaning your pole against the wall to be knocked over.

It's winter, which is slow season for me, maybe I'll find some time to make myself a caddy this year.

http://wanderingear.net

Strangest thing happened to me yesterday. I was getting on to the 10 fwy to head home when I had seen an apple box laying in the middle of the onramp. Soon after I dodged out its way I pulled over and threw it in my car. So, looks like I can make a BoomBox for free now. ;D I love it when stuff like that happens.

I was going along the infamous Saddleworth Moor in the UK early one morning when I came upon a brand new pair of eight tread fibreglass stepladders worth about $175 still in their store wrapping lying in the roadway, obviously fallen off a contractors truck.

Can you believe they were too long to get in the van so I had to leave them at the side of the road. What a bummer.

Malcolm Davies. A.m.p.s.

I was going along the infamous Saddleworth Moor in the UK early one morning when I came upon a brand new pair of eight tread fibreglass stepladders worth about $175 still in their store wrapping lying in the roadway, obviously fallen off a contractors truck.

Can you believe they were too long to get in the van so I had to leave them at the side of the road. What a bummer.

Malcolm Davies. A.m.p.s.

Hey Malcolm, "where there is a will there is a way..." :lol:

LadderInCar.jpg

Made this one in one afternoon using the remnants of a cheep light stand I bought to be an on cart antenna mast.

It takes up a bit more floor space than one of the steel base plate type stands (like Ian's thomsons ) but it makes up for it by being ultra light and usuable on most surfaces.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I made one of these and it lasted over 10 years until some knucklehead camera dweeb kicked the handle off. The plastic tool box was $30 at Lowe's hardware. The plastic tubes were about $8. And then a couple of bucks for the screws and nuts to hold them together. You can stand on it, sit on it, put your phone, headphones, tape, hat etc inside of it. It is waterproof and has never fallen over in heavy wind (http://photobucket.com/boomcaddie )

boomcaddie

• 1 month later...

I don't know if anyone saw it of the Coffey Sound site before it switched over to TrewAudio, but there was a product called Boom Box, and it was an apple box that was made for a boom operator. It's no longer online, but I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find it or if someone out there can make me one.

I don't know if anyone saw it of the Coffey Sound site before it switched over to TrewAudio, but there was a product called Boom Box, and it was an apple box that was made for a boom operator. It's no longer online, but I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find it or if someone out there can make me one.

I can make you one. Heck, I can make anything. LOL

post-224-0-98796800-1338257268.jpg

I made two of these clones as Christmas gifts for my crew last year. It looks simple, but took a lot of time to make. I made a hook from a mattress hanger from a hardware store, and painted it with truck bed liner spray. Was it cheaper than buying one? Yes, but not that much after I added up the time, but it was a gift. My boom op Lesa Foust was surprised and loves it. But she is pregnant now and will probably use it as a sit & spin for the kid.

Darrell

• 1 month later...

Hey, Steve

Do you know Lee Carrick? If you do, talk him into helping you make exactly what you want. If you don't, introduce yourself. He still occasionally grips but mostly provides a production motorhome. He's out in Reisterstown and a visit to his shop is a fun day. He's a real friend the DC/Baltimore sound community. He helped me fabricate some brackets to secure Pelican Case batteries to my PSC cart and I had to force him to accept payment and he wouldn't take what I thought his time was worth.

Best regards,

Jim

Hey Jim,

I don't know Lee, but I've only heard great things about him. I'll definitely try to get in touch with him for sure. I'd love to get a boom holder like an apple, but have a little compartment for my belt, TX's, spore, etc... Be a big help lol! Can you PM me his info?

Thanks!

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone:

Not sure if this is exactly on topic, but it's close... one of my C-stand hooks that I made. (Taking a few years off soundwork to be a blacksmith does have it's advantages, after all). It's made of 3/8" solid round stock, bent, welded, and painted. A little clear vinyl hose for some padding. I made these a little bit longer than the ones you can buy, it's a little gentler on the boom... a touch less leverage at the contact points.

dsc_7261.jpg?w=262

Hi Everyone:

Not sure if this is exactly on topic, but it's close... one of my C-stand hooks that I made. (Taking a few years off soundwork to be a blacksmith does have it's advantages, after all). It's made of 3/8" solid round stock, bent, welded, and painted. A little clear vinyl hose for some padding. I made these a little bit longer than the ones you can buy, it's a little gentler on the boom... a touch less leverage at the contact points.

dsc_7261.jpg?w=262

Bass Pro Shop sells a really nice thick one for $15. That is of course if you don't have skills like Brian. Nice job!!

Thanks for the idea Michael, I took your idea and went to Loews and this is my version. No box just flat 3/4 plywood, added another hook on the other side, some black paint and it's working great so far and saved some cash. Thanks again.

No problem. It's probably one of the cheapest ways to go for something like this.