Marking equipment...

curleysound

I browse through Ebay a lot, and look at sound gear that people are selling. Some professional, some not. I just happened upon a Nagra which the seller mentioned had an engraving of the original owners social security number! I know Identity theft was virtually a non-issue when Nagra was ruling the production sound world, but it sure is now. I'm curious how people are marking their gear, and what kinds of information they are putting on as well? I know we've had a couple instances of gear theft reported from various members of the community since I've joined in, and I'm curious if anyone has had a marker be instrumental in the return of your stolen gear?

Tom

curley,

thats a new one, SSN# on a nagra. (needless to say, don't do it) wow. anyway, in rental we put tamper proof stickers on every item. ( hope to someday have a barcode system) there has been instances where people found a missing items like, (walkie batteries, shock mounts etc. little things like that, "big ticket items" are typically not returned if lost.

also,

I have seen lots of mixers gear on location and in the shop. you will be suprised that they don't engrave, have stickers or labels of any kind on there gear.

try to put your 1st, last name and cell # on your items. small stickers, like the top half of your pinkie (for bodypack tx's, ifb rcvrs and mics, etc) and bigger stickers, like the size of the palm of your hand (for wireless rcvrs , portable & panel mixers, recorders and even pelican cases. tamper proof stickers over time do eventually peel off or even fade. but you just keep putting new stickers on the spot, its better than nothing at all.

later,

fs

For those that choose to use tamper proof stickers, do you prefer the type that breakaway in tiny pieces or the ones that leave behind a checkerboard or "VOID" imprint? If it was tampered with, or the sticker just failed to stick after time, can you still place another tamper-proof sticker where the old one was? Can you "ever"  remove the "VOID" imprint, particularly when you sell the gear? Any type work better than others?

Only one piece of my used gear collection had an engraving on it. I think it makes the item look bad. And to some, it could make the value less in the future, even though it has no bearing on the operating functions. Unless engraving loosens pieces internally?

marking equipment may help get it back if lost, left behind, etc, and depending on what it is, and the way it is marked, may possibly deter theft,

mostly I figure labels  to be helpful getting stuff back at wrap!

I have gotten engraved walkies back, just "Studio M" and a toll-free number on them,  no sense in advertising to a thief where to look for more stuff!

on major gear, I like to get an ID sticker tucked away inside, as it may not get removed, and could later help ID the item if it is recovered, or brought in for service.

"Tamper Proof", well that is like "waterproof" on a watch,  really means tamper resistant, doesn't it??

Hello Phillip

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I have been a wee bit busy being a new dad.

Congratulations! No apologies necessary --- parenting is full time

Regarding barcode and inventory, Intelliscaner makes some pretty good products that are both Mac and Windows compatible (although I believe rather expensive --- I haven't priced it out)

http://www.intelliscanner.com/products/index.html

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

Guest Jeff Colon

Hello,

Wondering if anyone using the barcode system could give a ballpark cost?  Next week my Dog goes to the Vet for his physical and an ID "chip."  This thread has me wondering what would be the equvalent method of "chipping" gear... another microprocessor ?

Scott, Big time Congratulations on being a Dad.  I found out about RAMPS and the interweb when my daughter went to college a couple years ago...  for the previous 18 years being a parent made being in this business interesting to say the least :-)  Her first gig (12) was pressing the button for smoke on a music show...nice memory.  I Hope everything you do for others here comes back to you and yours...thanks!

Someone should start a thread on families and being a parent in the biz...  Jeff W?

*now I will stop waxing setimentally off topicly ;.-)

Jeff C.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I have been a wee bit busy being a new dad.

Congrats Scott!! We just had our third baby.

Regards to the topic....

I like to use tamper proof stickers with my name and phone number. If possible, I will open gear up (like a deva, or anything that doesn't void the warranty if you open it up), and engrave my name on the inside of the machine with my phone number. that way if the gear does get stolen, and the tamper proof sticker does get tampered with, there is still some sort of marking by me on the machine that is not obvious to the would be thief.

-Dave