Member Titles

Ohhhh, I just noticed RVD's member title......How many posts do I need to become a "Head Bottle Polisher"? What are the other titles available.

Gave me a laugh!

Actually, that's the Display Name that you are seeing, not the Member Ranking. You can change your display name and that's what RVD did. I think you do this in My Settings > My Profile. I know there is an admin setting that limits the number of changes to your display name that you can make (so it's not like changing your facebook image every day or so to suit your mood) --- be careful with this.

The Member Ranking troubles me a bit because there were some conflicts created when we moved everyone over here from the old site. Some of the ranking did not carry over properly and there are a few being ranked "Newbie" even though they have been members since 2006. I think it is a minor annoyance since we all know who we are. In my mind, everyone here is a Hero Member.

Actually, that's the Display Name that you are seeing, not the Member Ranking. You can change your display name and that's what RVD did. I think you do this in My Settings > My Profile. I know there is an admin setting that limits the number of changes to your display name that you can make (so it's not like changing your facebook image every day or so to suit your mood) --- be careful with this.

The Member Ranking troubles me a bit because there were some conflicts created when we moved everyone over here from the old site. Some of the ranking did not carry over properly and there are a few being ranked "Newbie" even though they have been members since 2006. I think it is a minor annoyance since we all know who we are. In my mind, everyone here is a Hero Member.

Nice, thanks! I'm with you on the rankings. Too bad they don't offer a layout that doesn't require showing that type of information.

Nice, thanks! I'm with you on the rankings. Too bad they don't offer a layout that doesn't require showing that type of information.

Actually, I CAN remove them altogether. I have already removed a whole lot of other somewhat useless data/stats that used to show below your name on posts. I felt that some people may be proud of the ranking and wouldn't want to see it removed. I'll think about it.

The Display Name setting is for the name above your picture. Perhaps it's a caption for the photo being used?

The Display Name setting is for the name above your picture. Perhaps it's a caption for the photo being used?

Imagine that, it's the "Member Title" option in the "Options" menu, under Profile.

JW - "I felt that some people may be proud of the ranking and wouldn't want to see it removed. I'll think about it."

Since this is editable, then you can just leave it up the member to change.

Imagine that, it's the "Member Title" option in the "Options" menu, under Profile.

JW - "I felt that some people may be proud of the ranking and wouldn't want to see it removed. I'll think about it."

Since this is editable, then you can just leave it up the member to change.

Thanks so much Michael for sorting this out. I'm not always right about these things (I just THINK I am right). So, the "Member Title" is user editable which I think is nice... no one has to suffer being called a "Newbie" anymore.

Thanks so much Michael for sorting this out. I'm not always right about these things (I just THINK I am right). So, the "Member Title" is user editable which I think is nice... no one has to suffer being called a "Newbie" anymore.

We can change our titles, how cool is that? OK, I want to be "The Masked Rider of The Purple Sage" B)

Eric

"member title" is not something I can find ANYWHERE under the options, the profile page doesn't seem to have it on mine. Any particular reason, I'm obviously listed as a hero member... I just can't seem to find that thing to change.

edit: I just looked with a different browser (I use Firefox, checked with Safari) and it was the same. So it doesn't seem to be a plugin on my end. Is there some limit that might be in force, like not enough posts to allow changing it, so it doesn't appear?

"member title" is not something I can find ANYWHERE under the options, the profile page doesn't seem to have it on mine. Any particular reason, I'm obviously listed as a hero member... I just can't seem to find that thing to change.

edit: I just looked with a different browser (I use Firefox, checked with Safari) and it was the same. So it doesn't seem to be a plugin on my end. Is there some limit that might be in force, like not enough posts to allow changing it, so it doesn't appear?

At the top left of the page, click your name where it says, "Signed in as geordi". A drop down menu comes up, click "My Profile". On the right, under the site tabs, and "View New Content" will be a button, "Edit Profile". Click it!

Now you're in the "Your Options" section. Mine defaults to the "Profile" tab, if yours did not, then click that. In there is the "Member Title" section.

Hope that helps.

At the top left of the page, click your name where it says, "Signed in as geordi". A drop down menu comes up, click "My Profile". On the right, under the site tabs, and "View New Content" will be a button, "Edit Profile". Click it!

Now you're in the "Your Options" section. Mine defaults to the "Profile" tab, if yours did not, then click that. In there is the "Member Title" section.

Hope that helps.

That was the page I was in. These are the only titles on that page, in order, top to bottom:

Comments - enable profile comments

Profile information - show x latest, select birthday

Required information - location, about

Other information - AIM, MSN, Website, ICQ, Yahoo, Jabber, Skype, Gender, Interests

Save changes.

Its not on mine for some reason that I cannot fathom.

That was the page I was in. These are the only titles on that page, in order, top to bottom:

Other information - AIM, MSN, Website, ICQ, Yahoo, Jabber, Skype, Gender, Interests

Save changes.

I cannot explain this, why your options for editing your Profile are showing this way. I will look into it and see what I can come up with.

Save changes.

Mine shows up between "show x latest, select birthday"

I cannot explain this, why your options for editing your Profile are showing this way. I will look into it and see what I can come up with.

Now, I am able to explain this. There is an admin setting: "Number of posts a member must have before allowing them to change their member title" and it was set to 100. So, if you hadn't posted at least 100 times, you are not even given the choice to change your site assigned Member Title (things like "newbie", "hero member", etc.). I have not changed this to a requirement of only 10 posts. This seems reasonable so that it will only be the real newbies (new to the site) that will be called newbies. Once you have participated in the site you will be able to give yourself any Member Title you want.

So, geordi (and I'm not really sure what your real name is) you have on record 45 posts, so that is why you did not even see the choice to make.

Lastly, I don't know exactly how my change to this setting will affect our members who were brought over from the old site. Hopefully it will work retroactively and member who have been participating will be able to make this change.

I was wondering how long it would take someone to notice my "new" title.

So how long did it take?

PS - That's not a picture of me for my avatar, I like your's Michael, mine is a picture of our driver in Morocco doing an impression of me, and if you know me, you know it's spot on!

Thanks, it's my picture from my banner ad I use for advertising, and website.

While I understand the creative freedom involved in creating a "handle" by which you go by, in a discussion group such as this it's nice to know who's who.

I completely agree, having real names when asking about and receiving information of professional ideas needs to have a reputation and basis to go on. I tend to trust people who use there real names and are not "hiding" behind a "handle". Not to say that any one here is trying to hide. Just my perception.

I think it's great, now this option allows for someone to use both, so no real excuse not have your real name up top.

After the change Jeff mentioned above, if you want to change your "Member Title" and don't see that field in your profile editing page, try the Delete My Cookies link at the bottom of any page. This will log you out. Log back in and you should have access to edit that part of your profile. Then as Homer Simpson says "To start press any key. Hey, where's the Any Key?"

Best regards,

Jim

Then as Homer Simpson says "To start press any key. Hey, where's the Any Key?"

That's great Jim, it made me look at my keyboard! Dooh!! I hope I haven't created a monster by uncovering this ability......sorry, Jeff.

I must also say that I really like the idea of the "signature" byline. I think this serves many functions as we can see by the members that have used this function.

Cheers,

RVD

" having real names when asking about and receiving information of professional ideas needs to have a reputation and basis to go on. "

... and not just real names, but some useful, descriptive biographical info especially pertaining to age-group and experience.

Additional agreement on preferring to know real names. Also notice that this site provides some options for describing one's self, and getting the information is easier by far than trying to thread through "Who I Am..." thread.

Also notice that this site provides some options for describing one's self, and getting the information is easier by far than trying to thread through "Who I Am..." thread.

Very few members have made use of the full "About Me" section of their Profile... maybe it's my fault for not telling everyone about it. In My Profile > Change my About Me page you could write a book if you want to. Then, anyone going to your Profile can read all about you.

Note: the little box for new member sign-ups, also called About Me, is a required field for new members. Established members can ignore this box and use the real About Me page if they want to.