A glimmer of hope

John Steigerwald

I remember something, posted on RAMPS maybe, a while back about a bluetooth set.  Someone had a video of it from NAB.  I think the biggest issue was range.  It maybe had 30 feet or so.  Someone had mentioned using it for boom on a bag kit.

The Sabine stuff runs at 2.4G (Cordless phones, wireless surveillance cameras and network routers anyone?) and claims 70 simultaneous channels.  No idea how it actually sounds, although the handhelds do have a 'capsule modeling' feature.

I'm sure it sounds just like a Telefunken.

There was an article in one of the broadcast rags last month about Shure and a few others taking up issue with the FCC.  Hopefully they get the message through and all this becomes a non-issue.

Unfortunately, 16 bit and a range of only 10 meters really limits its usefulness.  So it really is just a "glimmer".

There is a new bluetooth motorcycle intercom set that is supposed to have a range of 150 meters.  While obviously not useful for production sound, it does open the door to the possibility of future bluetooth RF systems with a range that is more suitable for our application.

http://www.blueantwireless.com/downloads/interphone/interphone_brochure_US.pdf

the RicSonix should be popular with low budget/student documentary types, and huge for the ENG market; in practice, it's better than CD audio spec's and sound quality should suit all but "audio snobs", especially for these target markets.

the good news for those looking for more/better performance and spec's, is that as others adopt this technology, it could reduce the crowding on the existing wireless mic spectrum.

Keep in mind that this product is designed for use by "presenters" in front of camcorders, and at events that generate a lot of "coverage", if the reporters standing 6' in front of their cameras doing "stand-ups" and "live shots" find this an attractive alternative, a lot of competing signals will be moved to it.  This is potentially a huge market for RicSonix, and generally larger than the traditional movie production sound mixer market segment.  "our" little niche segment of the wireless microphone market is not the industry's driving force, we are well behind entertainers and venues (churches, conferences, etc.) as wireless mic customers and users.

all the best

• 1 month later...

I talked to the FCC at NAB on thurs. and they told me the higher channels (for us the blk-27-30) will be auctioned off in 09. so it is true, we will have to re-freq all are wireless systems in those blocks that are effected. making the lower freqs.even more crowded.