Anyone using LION

Jeff Wexler

I have LION on the main computer now and all is well except for one very odd thing that really threw me. After installing LION, the Library folder that was always in the User's Home folder has moved out. It is now on the boot drive, the main hard drive, not in the Home folder. I am wondering if it has something to do with the way all my computers are set up. I often go into the Library folder, Application Support folder, etc., and now I have to look somewhere else. The Library folder used to be one of the default folders, like Music, Sites, Documents, Public, etc.

Anyone else see this?

It was one of the first things I noticed too. Because we use SSDs for boot disks at the office, I move "extra content" from Final Cut/Logic/CS5.5 onto another drive after install as the space is limited.

I think there's another method for accessing the Library. When Finder is the active application, holding down the "Option" key while using the "Go" menu will show the ~/Library (local user Library) folder.

Jeff, I've been trying Lion out since it's release - I created a new partition on a production machine to ease the transition and maintain an image of that machine in-case we need to dig up older projects/toold - and really like the improvements. They're very subtle but have made working with multiple applications (I used spaces a lot) that much easier.

I also like the natural scrolling; ie. move the content not the scroll bars. Today, on the Plus, I found this post from a Googler with a link to a utility to match the same scrolling behaviour on previous versions to keep behaviour consistent across our machinesthat are still running SL (https://plus.google....sts/h3ryKPGjSmv).

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am unable to load from source using ZaxConvert on my MacBook Pro laptop, I deleted v6.11 with AppDelete, then in disc utility I verified and repaired permissions and downloaded an earlier version (v5.97) and even tried logging in as another user but still no go the program will not load from source.

Funny thing is on my MacPro running Lion with v6.11 it works fine. Anyone got any ideas ?

I have problems with zaxconvert on my laptop running 10.6 I've managed to get it working by right clicking on the zaxconvert application and selecting show package contents then finding the console version of zaxconvert - I think it's in the macOS folder and opening that. This way lets me see tand export he contents of the cards.

I've not even looked at lion, so have no clue if this will work for you, but it might.

• 2 months later...

General Lion question for some of you guys.... has it messed up any software registrations/licenses for programs you might have been using or installed while using a previous OS like 10.6? I'm having a hard time debating to upgrade or not. I want the new cloud abilities and other perks, but don't want to deal with software that's not "stable" for 10.7 yet

No problems with any software that I hadn't already read about (Quicken for example) so there really weren't any surprises. I did go through every bit of software I have installed and looked to see if it was Universal and researched whether it had been running under Rosetta or not. I also did not upgrade all my Mac all at once so if problems cropped up that I had not anticipated I would have a machine that would run the older OS.

I cloned my laptop hard drive onto an external before updating to Lion.

In a pinch, I can boot from that drive and still be running the old OS.

I've only had to do that to access older filemaker databases to convert

them for the new version.

I still boot that drive on occasion just to sync mail and such but

haven't needed to.

Losing Quicken was a bummer; I'm not liking iBank so much.

Glen

Many articles written already about why we shouldn't trust Intuit --- this announcement is just as ominous as all the rest. No one is saying what Intuit will do to make Quicken 2007 (already antiquated and underwhelming from the first day it was released) compatible. I have serous doubts that they will do a complete re-write, update it to modern and compatible code and call it Quicken 2012 or something. I have always had a love-hate relationship with Quicken (well, love is a little strong, never really loved Quicken but it was better than anything else out at the time) turning more towards hate as Intuit chronically and repeatably behaved very badly to Mac users.

I have tried all the others and am presently running iBank AND Quicken Essentials for personal use (and sticking with Quickbooks for my company stuff). We'll see what happens in the future but I wouldn't hold my breath in the hopes that Intuit will do something right.

Thankfully I have always been a PC and a Mac user myself and am currently using Quicken 2011 on Windows 7 64-bit with no problems. Quicken on Mac was one of the reasons I could never go all Mac at the times Ive tried. Im glad its been working problem free all year though. To be honest I have never had a problem with Quicken and my Database dates all the way back to Quicken 1996. Its been upgraded many times over the years and all my data is still intact.