Video Test

Jeff Wexler

I was driving for 10 hours to a job earlier this year and was able to listen to an entire days worth of presentations at the inaugural Australian TED conference and this piece was used to end the broadcast. As people who work in a creative field we should applaud and encourage this kind of thinking in the next generation and teach our kids to think and question as there is a scary path at the moment to believe everything that is presented to us as fact. As much as I love the internet and all it offers, it has fostered a blind belief system that has spread to all facets of the media where we now have journalism as reporting "facts" posted on Twitter and Wikipedia.

In High School I had an amazing English teacher who ironically was American and he instilled in us to question everything we heard, saw and read and then make a valued judgement on the outcome. I think this simple process is in danger of being lost. But good on Ken Robinson, we need more of him advising those who are making the decisions that will effect the next 65 years!

Totally in agreement with Ken Robinson. But going beyond this being just an educational institution issue, creativity has to start at home with the parents modeling how they value the arts, creativity and originality. My wife and I have forgone a lot of the material things associated with the American Dream in order to expose our daughters to music, dance, theater, the arts, etc. Our family mantra has been "Don't let your classes and homework get in the way of your education." Don't get me wrong, I'm still dedicated to math and the sciences and appreciate the discipline they bring to honing one's problem solving skills. It's been a huge payoff from my perspective to see how creatively my daughters think and communicate as young women.