Tweaking

Michael P Clark

I see you've been tweaking still, and I understand what you're doing. I just noticed a few things that jumped out with my profile. At one point my Picture, that shows to the left, was the size of the actual picture. Now, it's been letterboxed. Was this intentional? I'm not a fan of letterboxing and was hoping to have the real aspect ratio be used, which is why I choose that format. Anyway to get this back? Also, for some reason my "location" now shows up and I don't see the option to remove it, and don't ever remember setting this. Seems to be only on my profile. While I'm at it, why the "Members" and three dots, below the picture? What does that mean?

I haven't been doing much tweaking recently and I don't remember if "Location" always shows or not. Did this just pop up recently? I know that if you do not put a location in your Profile, it will not of course show, but every member that has put a location in, it does show. I don't see a way to turn this off (though it can be removed from view with a little tweaking on my end). As for your Profile image, displaying full size is just a momentary display error I believe. The aspect ratio is correct when viewing your Profile but the display of Profile and Avatar images next to posts (and everywhere else that it shows up) will be square aspect ratio. This is necessary, as you can imagine, if every member could choose how they want their image to be displayed next to every post. The square format does not "letterbox" as you say, rather it truncates. You could, however, letterbox the image yourself (proper aspect "widescreen" image letterboxed with bars top and bottom making it a square image) and then it would display with the intended aspect ratio. I think this would look silly but you could do it.

Trying to delete my location, and I get this... "Location: Cannot be left blank"

The aspect ratio is correct when viewing your Profile but the display of Profile and Avatar images next to posts (and everywhere else that it shows up) will be square aspect ratio. This is necessary, as you can imagine, if every member could choose how they want their image to be displayed next to every post. The square format does not "letterbox" as you say, rather it truncates. You could, however, letterbox the image yourself (proper aspect "widescreen" image letterboxed with bars top and bottom making it a square image) and then it would display with the intended aspect ratio. I think this would look silly but you could do it.

Ah, shucks! Since my image is more "widescreen" than square, it appears "letterboxed" to me, since the square format has the bars on top and bottom. When I check out my profile, it does show the original aspect ratio of the image. Odd that it has to be this way, it wasn't when I changed my picture, back when we were discussing "Member Titles". This has changed in the past week. I was lap-topless on my last shoot, in Hawaii, and only accessed the site via my iPhone. Upon returning, a few days ago, I noticed the change, as well as a layout change from before I left, last week.

Trying to delete my location, and I get this... "Location: Cannot be left blank"

Ah, shucks! Since my image is more "widescreen" than square, it appears "letterboxed" to me, since the square format has the bars on top and bottom. When I check out my profile, it does show the original aspect ratio of the image. Odd that it has to be this way, it wasn't when I changed my picture, back when we were discussing "Member Titles". This has changed in the past week. I was lap-topless on my last shoot, in Hawaii, and only accessed the site via my iPhone. Upon returning, a few days ago, I noticed the change, as well as a layout change from before I left, last week.

The properties of the Profile image displays has not changed in the last week. It is possible that if you are comparing how things worked with the OLD new site (prior to this recent update to v. 3.2) things may have changed, I don't know. I completely undersrand why the the image associated with posts, the image next to the post, the small image that appears in list tables, has to be standardized. Standardizing on a square image of a certain size is the developer's decision and I believe it is the proper decision, providing a consistent and comfortable display for everyone.

Jeff, while we are tweaking, I wrote a duplicate response in one of the threads and tried to delete it (with me signed in of course). I keep on getting this error message ([#103119.5] You do not have permission to carry out that function.)

Can you help?

UPDATE: for Michael, Sebastian and others

Still working on the whole DELETE posts things, no success yet. On the issue of "Location" being displayed (this is for Michael) your Location is NOT displayed to other members, only to you and to administrators (like me). So no need to worry about hiding it or deleting etc. Also, on a somewhat related issue, I have now set the Board so that Guests do not have access to Members list, they are only allowed to READ posts, do searches, etc. They are allowed to see images, something which on the old old site they could not do.

UPDATE: for Michael, Sebastian and others

Still working on the whole DELETE posts things, no success yet. On the issue of "Location" being displayed (this is for Michael) your Location is NOT displayed to other members, only to you and to administrators (like me). So no need to worry about hiding it or deleting etc. Also, on a somewhat related issue, I have now set the Board so that Guests do not have access to Members list, they are only allowed to READ posts, do searches, etc. They are allowed to see images, something which on the old old site they could not do.

As of this post, I no longer see my "Location" under my picture. So, something changed. Thanks

As of this post, I no longer see my "Location" under my picture. So, something changed. Thanks

YOU no longer see it because it has been removed from this view all together. Please read my post above, however, that lets you know it was a NON-issue all along because your location was only seen by YOU (and administrator) --- no other member would ever see your location below your Profile image next to your posts.

I strongly agree that Location is valuable, and cannot understand why any professional on a professional forum would be concerned with it not being seen... and in that case, a person could just specify a continent, or a planet.

I vote to let us all see "location" if we look up a member's profile.

YOU no longer see it because it has been removed from this view all together. Please read my post above, however, that lets you know it was a NON-issue all along because your location was only seen by YOU (and administrator) --- no other member would ever see your location below your Profile image next to your posts.

Sorry, but you didn't mention that it was removed from MY view. Just keeping you updated, since I brought it up. I like what I see, now. I felt, what I saw before, looked cluttered, that's all. I don't mind showing where I'm from...See below.

I felt, what I saw before, looked cluttered, that's all. I don't mind showing where I'm from...See below.

I understand. With the old new site I had stripped out almost everything except the member name and the image in the box displayed to the left of a post. This was to make it as uncluttered as possible. When going to the NEW new site (which you only got to view, I guess, recently) the default info was back and had to be again stripped out.

I dont mind seeing the location of people either. Kind of interesting to know I'm communicating with someone in say Germany, or USA or where ever.

I also feel like I have to "explain" I'm from Australia in alot of posts for whatever reason, to make sense to the context of the thread etc.

I'm happy for my location to display and if I know everyone else could see it, I wouldn't have to worry about explaining my location.

No big deal either way though!!!

Cheers

Peter Mega