"View New Content" question

Peter Mega

Hi,

Aologies if this has been brought up already.

I've noticed this error message whenever I click on "View New Content" as a guest.

[#10146] You do not have permission to use the search system.

It only happens when I'm not logged in. The function works fine when I'm logged in. Its the same on 3 different computers and my iphone also.

Sometimes, especially on my iphone, I dont always like to log in if I'm just having a quick check in of the forum. I find it quite painful logging in on my phone so I mostly browse as a guest on my phone.

Has something changed? Can I use "View New Content" without logging in?

Regards,

Peter Mega

The whole "View New Content" is a specialized search and tracking routine that will only work when you are logged in. Think about it, if you are not logged in and only viewing the site as a Guest, how would the site ever know what you have read, what is new since your last visit, etc. These are all qualified searches that require individual member tracking so you need to be logged in so the site knows who you are. Guests viewing the site can still get an idea of what's new (providing YOU remember what you last looked at) by looking at the "Recent Topics" list in the right sidebar. This list is available to all those viewing the site.

Thanks for your reply Jeff.

I forgot to mention this only started happening in the last couple of days. Before that time, the site would allow "View New Content" without logging in.

Anyway, not to worry!! I know you've been inundated with site questions so dont worry about it. Enough said!!

Regards

Peter Mega

Thanks for your reply Jeff.

I forgot to mention this only started happening in the last couple of days. Before that time, the site would allow "View New Content" without logging in.

Anyway, not to worry!! I know you've been inundated with site questions so dont worry about it. Enough said!!

Regards

Peter Mega

Well, I discovered a few things that shed light on this. I had adjusted what GUESTS can do on this site (based on an observation that one of our members made, that Guests are allowed to view member list and profiles) and this setting also prevented Guests from using Search routine. The View New Content is a search routine. I have brought that back now so even if you are not logged in you will be able to use VNC (but it will not do individual tracking, of course, like unread posts, etc.).

Also on this issue (and maybe I should do a poll) is that Guests (visitors or members not logged in) no longer see ANY profile images since they are excluded from view because Guests have no access to membership. This makes the initial public viewing of the site look really bad I think. I would like to put back the feature where a guest not yet registered can see our membership.