Member Map feature

Tom Visser

Hi Jeff, based upon the conversation regarding the UK mixers and those of us located outside of LA, was curious if there was a feature like some of the Yahoo! groups have, where members can enter their geographical location on a map... so one could browse the membership directory geographically. May even be helpful for those looking for locals to crew projects, to see who is nearby without having to send out a broadcast message. Just curious if this feature was supported on your software...

Thanks,

Tom

Hi Jeff, based upon the conversation regarding the UK mixers and those of us located outside of LA, was curious if there was a feature like some of the Yahoo! groups have, where members can enter their geographical location on a map... so one could browse the membership directory geographically. May even be helpful for those looking for locals to crew projects, to see who is nearby without having to send out a broadcast message. Just curious if this feature was supported on your software...

Thanks,

Tom

I think there may be some "geo-tagging" features but the problem is getting people to enter their location --- you would be surprised how many people here want to keep everything as big secret (even including their gender). I will look into it anyway.

As long as your vigilant in keeping the riff raff out, I feel a certain sense of comfort in having such information out there, especially if if is only viewable by members, and not any random Google crawl. It's not like I'd tag my exact location, but general neighborhood and in my case, it really only comes down to which island you are on.

As long as your vigilant in keeping the riff raff out, I feel a certain sense of comfort in having such information out there, especially if if is only viewable by members, and not any random Google crawl.

There isn't anything "random" about Google crawling this site --- that's what Google does. How do you think Google returns any results when you do a Google search for stuff on this site? Do a Google search on your name and jwsound and I'm pretty sure it will find that you are a member of this group; probably will also find most all of your posts here and most likely on CinemaSound site as well. I think Privacy is overrated (said by someone who has never been the victim of identity theft, a stalker, or any of the other nasty things that can happen).

I mean if you look at how the Yahoo! groups map works, it is available only to registered members of that particular group, and I don't think that the data from it can be parsed by the Google crawler in any meaningful way, if at all due to the rudimentary security measures.

We're all in business, so it's not so much an invasion of privacy as free advertising.....

I can't imagine why people would get prickly about their location being revealed, unless you come on here with the intention of causing mischief, there's no reason to hide it. Same with using your full name, I don't know why someone wouldn't.

I mean if you look at how the Yahoo! groups map works, it is available only to registered members of that particular group, and I don't think that the data from it can be parsed by the Google crawler in any meaningful way, if at all due to the rudimentary security measures.

Tom, that is a choice that is made by the administrator of the Yahoo newsgroup... public newsgroup or members only newsgroup. That choice is available here and on most other forums, as well.

We do have a lot more members (we have had a lot of new sign-ups since moving over to the new site) and sadly many of them have chosen to use cryptic usernames. The other factor to consider is that quite a few profile images didn't make it over here on the move so we are looking at a lot of nameless faceless members here. I don't know what this obsession of using some weird username when we would all be a lot happier, I think, if we felt like our community was populated by regular people with names just like the ones they put on their time cards (or their applications for student loans).

There are some other groups that demand real names as part of the registration process, or those that implemented that policy, made people change their names, even if it had to be done manually by emailing the administrator (don't mean to create extra work for you).

The map idea seems fun enough in a social network kind of way, but so do profile picture collages of members ala FaceBook......... I'm all for making this site more fun. I enjoy handles of members if they reflect an attitude or POV, but I do want to know who they are in real life as well. As far as my/your personal info goes, we are all only a few keyboard strokes away from whoever wants to track us. As for the lurkers and shy people who view this site but don't interact or join, I understand your reluctance or trepidation. It is hard to be exposed on any level in life. I would advise those who lurk or are timid to get naked. Expose yourself and hang free. You will feel better. Even if you look bad;~).... Just my opinion.

CrewC