Unbalanced input wiring to RED camera

nickreich

Hi All,

I need to make up several cables to feed one side of a Sennheiser IEM headphone output into one audio input on a RED camera for guide track use only. Obviously the IEM headphone output is unbalanced - what would be the preferred way to wire the TA3M input connector -

- IEM hot to RED Pin 2, IEM cold to RED Pin 3, RED Pin 1 (ground) floating

- IEM hot to RED Pin 2, IEM cold to RED Pin 3, RED Pin 1 (ground) tied to pin 3

- IEM hot to RED Pin 2, IEM cold to RED Pin 1, RED Pin 3 floating

I've read several threads where people have used an IFB receiver of some sort for this. I tried a search, but searching this forum doesn't seem to be working too well for me - even searching IFB alone gave no results.

nick

Hi All,

I need to make up several cables to feed one side of a Sennheiser IEM headphone output into one audio input on a RED camera for guide track use only. Obviously the IEM headphone output is unbalanced - what would be the preferred way to wire the TA3M input connector -

- IEM hot to RED Pin 2, IEM cold to RED Pin 3, RED Pin 1 (ground) floating

- IEM hot to RED Pin 2, IEM cold to RED Pin 3, RED Pin 1 (ground) tied to pin 3

- IEM hot to RED Pin 2, IEM cold to RED Pin 1, RED Pin 3 floating

I've read several threads where people have used an IFB receiver of some sort for this. I tried a search, but searching this forum doesn't seem to be working too well for me - even searching IFB alone gave no results.

nick

In the TA3 for connection to the RED, source Hot/positive to pin 2, source shield/ground to pins 1 & 3. FYI: Pin 2 in the TA3 is not in the same place as pin 2 in an XLR. An XLR is:

1 2

A TA 3 is:

1 3

Eric

• 1 month later...

Tell me if your experience is different, but recently I wired a g3 cable for a red, and when I did the usuall un balancing trick of spanning pins 1 and 3, the red saw no input. I remade the cable with hot going to pin 2 and ground going to pin 1 and left pin 3 open and everything worked fine. Seemed like the red isn't designed for un balanced inputs, but I haven't checked the manual to verify that.

K

http://wanderingear.net

Tell me if your experience is different, but recently I wired a g3 cable for a red, and when I did the usuall un balancing trick of spanning pins 1 and 3, the red saw no input. I remade the cable with hot going to pin 2 and ground going to pin 1 and left pin 3 open and everything worked fine. Seemed like the red isn't designed for un balanced inputs, but I haven't checked the manual to verify that.

K

http://wanderingear.net

Very strange. The balanced inputs on a RED should work with an unbalanced source. Grounding pins 1 & 3 is correct if you're starting with a balanced source into an unbalanced input or an unbalanced output into a balanced input.

Eric

• 2 weeks later...

Eric's wiring worked fine for me - on all 7 RED's (which is why I was using IEMs as hops). When I say IEM "Cold", I mean ground (the sleeve of the TRS minijack). I was only using the left hand output, with the IEMs set to 'Focus' mode to mono the stereo guide mix being transmitted (which music staff and the Composer of the show was also listening to on IEMs when it took their fancy). I've seen & heard several clips out of FCP from the edit using these guide tracks and the result is more than fine for the purpose. If your "g3" was a radio mic receiver rather than an In-Ear Monitor pack, wiring issues may be different, or as Rob suggested, the ta3M (as needed for a RED) pin order difference was the issue.

nick