Zaxcom Nomad - It's Alive.

Jack Norflus

• Replies 593
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Zaxcom website states max sample rate is 48.048. Has this changed recently and the Zaxcom website just needs updating? If so, that would be great.

The website needs updating. Both Glenn and Jack have talked about sample rates on this forum. It is still an unknown what the restrictions will be, it most likely will depend on what unit you buy, as I believe the 8 and 12 have extra processing boards.

Bash - Deva, Fusion, 744/788 all have membrane REC buttons protruding through a metal face plate.

The Nomad has a different design, more like Lectro SM series transmitter membrane buttons that are convex "bubbles" protruding from the face plate surface. The Nomad buttons appear to have less travel than the older recorders I mention. What is nice about the older recorders is that the operator gets reassuring tactile feedback with about 1/8 inch or so of travel as the button is pushed with a noticeable "thunk" at the end of the press, confirming that a press has been made.

The SM buttons are harder to press both in effort and in having minimal travel (to avoid being inadvertently activated when mounted on talent, I suppose) and don't have as much feedback IMHO. I hope the Nomad buttons aren't like that, especially the REC button.

The REC button is perhaps the most important control on the entire device and it should be easy to find and operate, and confidence inspiring in use - in other words, ergonomically well designed.

This isn't a deal breaker for me - I'm ready to move away from the modularity of a SD442/SD744t even if there are a few compromises (like giving up momentary prefade switches, hard button gain trim and pan pots, etc.) for the massive amount of added capacity, features, performance, and smaller size of this new Nomad product. In this thread I am simply hoping for a nice solid transport button.

Almost 100% of my gigs thus far have been direct to camera until recently where I had to rent a 744T for a couple of days on one of the large reality shows. I was amazed at the amount of RF spray across my Block 24/27 lectro 411's. Range became less than 20m. Pathetic.

I really hope this isn't the case with the Nomad...

The REC button is perhaps the most important control on the entire device and it should be easy to find and operate, and confidence inspiring in use - in other words, ergonomically well designed . . .

In this thread I am simply hoping for a nice solid transport button.

In my opinion the tactile response of the record button does have a better feel than those on the lectro SM transmitters. While the "transport" of the button is less then that of a SD recorder and there is no noticeable "thunk" after engaging the button - I find no real issues with it. But of course it totally comes down to personal preference.

Almost 100% of my gigs thus far have been direct to camera until recently where I had to rent a 744T for a couple of days on one of the large reality shows. I was amazed at the amount of RF spray across my Block 24/27 lectro 411's. Range became less than 20m. Pathetic.

I really hope this isn't the case with the Nomad...

The 744T has been notorious for RF spray (I've got one and it can sometimes be an issue). One of the major things SD addressed when making the 788T.

read here: http://jwsound.net/S...p?topic=6294.30

Moving the RX even a few inches away from the 744T can make a big difference.

Edit: I see you've been there before...

The 744T has been notorious for RF spray (I've got one and it can sometimes be an issue). One of the major things SD addressed when making the 788T.

I've been working out of a bag for the last 10 days on a documentary project, with the 744t, a 552, and three Lectro 411's. Zero RF spray so far, at least in Block 19.

I did, once again, come across some really weird RF interference in downtown LA over the weekend but (as The Senator always says), invariably there are always enough holes to get the job done. I had no problem with three receivers and a boom.

The planes, trains, cars, and building tenants were the only real problems...

--Marc W.

Edit: I see you've been there before...

Yep! Looks like i have! My brain is mush these days. Too many good times when I was younger I guess ;)

I'm just about to start an 11 week job. 788 and 5D. Will be a good chance to put the 788 through it's paces and see if it is a contender against the Nomad.

As we are a radio mic manufacturer every input and output of the Nomad has RF filtering to minimize any spray of RF energy. Initial tests have shown good results with Nomad in this area. The effects can be minimized with any product by treating each audio cable and data cable as a RF connection with proper shielding connected at both ends.

This is also a good reason to go with BNC connectors for the time code as they are inherently good with RF and very camera friendly.

Glenn

As we are a radio mic manufacturer every input and output of the Nomad has RF filtering to minimize any spray of RF energy. Initial tests have shown good results with Nomad in this area. The effects can be minimized with any product by treating each audio cable and data cable as a RF connection with proper shielding connected at both ends.

This is also a good reason to go with BNC connectors for the time code as they are inherently good with RF and very camera friendly.

Glenn

That's very reassuring news Glenn, thank you!

I've been working out of a bag for the last 10 days on a documentary project, with the 744t, a 552, and three Lectro 411's. Zero RF spray so far, at least in Block 19.

I did, once again, come across some really weird RF interference in downtown LA over the weekend but (as The Senator always says), invariably there are always enough holes to get the job done. I had no problem with three receivers and a boom.

The planes, trains, cars, and building tenants were the only real problems...

--Marc W.

And a lot of commercial shoots there as well. I was there using 3 lectros on block 21. By my count there were 4 shoots near me on 6th n Main.

Sorry, I've been a little out of touch lately. Re: the Nomad--are we talking about a recorder that one can buy and start using today? I guess someone has one in regular use somewhere, but how many folks have gotten delivery yet? I'm looking forward to lots of real-world-use reports from lots of people about it...

phil p

Sorry, I've been a little out of touch lately. Re: the Nomad--are we talking about a recorder that one can buy and start using today? I guess someone has one in regular use somewhere, but how many folks have gotten delivery yet? I'm looking forward to lots of real-world-use reports from lots of people about it...

phil p

Still in beta test somewhere. Read somewhere that delivery will be in September.

Eric

Thanks Jack,

A couple of questions

On the Zaxnet menu:

Could you help to clarify TX power = 1, does that mean "on" or power setting number 1 (for varies power output setting of the TX?)

Also, the RX1 to 3 Freq = 0.002GHz, does it follow for the receivers plug according to the inputs 1 to 3 of the Nomad? but why all = 0.002GHz. Does it mean adjusting all the 3 RX together?

Also on the earlier post where you posted the 7 home screens. I would like to check on the 6th home screen that you posted, there is 4 blue boxes on the inputs 7 to 10, could you help to clarify what are those?

Sorry for the heap of questions..

Thanks again Jack,

Best Regards,

Lawrence

This is confusing to me. Why would you want Zaxnet control over the RX's? They're in your bag? I can understand that you would want control over the TX's on talent, but from this image and the REPLY from Jack, it seems you need to tune each TX into a separate Zaxnet signal to control it separately. Isn't that what the UNIT ID code on each transmitter is for? It's been a constant that you tune your IFB transmitter, then all your ERX's to the same channel to get IFB and/or TC, and then each transmitter to the same IFB channel, but each unit has an individual unit code so they can be controlled separately. Has this changed with Nomad? Do we need to tune each TX to a different Zaxnet channel?

This is what I THINK the Zaxnet page is:

The 'TX signal' is the channel that you control the TX's with, broadcast IFB and TC on. Each transmitter is tuned to the SAME channel, but has a different Unit Code so that you can set the Nomad up to control each TX's gain, frequency and record etc individually.

I'm assuming that the RX signal 1-6 is so you can tune camera-mounted QRX100's with IFB option to different frequencies, and then you can monitor those 6 cameras individually by tuning into each ones Zaxnet signal via Nomad.

is that right?

The Zaxnet menu in the Nomad is incomplete. The idea is to be able to change the frequencies of transmitters and receivers together from the Nomad and much more. As this part of it is still in development I will not be able to outline it at this time. When it is complete it will be fully documented.

Glenn

Assuming it is somewhat similar to the other Zaxcom limiter/compressors, when available it will be a limiter/compressor, with variable attack and release times, plus variable ratio, threshold, and soft-knee settings. From the Zaxcom Cameo to their Deva, Fusion, and wireless devices, I've found the compressor/limiter functions to be very useful and versatile, both technically and artistically, in a variety of scenarios.

When can you have your's? Nobody knows.

Glen Trew

The Zaxnet menu in the Nomad is incomplete. The idea is to be able to change the frequencies of transmitters and receivers together from the Nomad and much more. As this part of it is still in development I will not be able to outline it at this time. When it is complete it will be fully documented.

Glenn

Fair enough. Thanks Glenn.

What Nomad really needs is a password protection option for boot-up (aka power-on). along with a phone number display after 3 x incorrect tries, so maybe it gets returned home!

Or, if you're insured, hit the "auto-self-destruct" feature. Sort of the next generation of Apple's Find My iPhone feature.

--Marc W.