Zaxcom Nomad - It's Alive.

Jack Norflus

• Replies 593
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Jack,

Thanks for the replies. Another question, if I may ask. Supposing if we are using say a Nomad 8 or 12 could you explain a little on steps required to do to adjust the fader/trim without the optional 4 faders? That is, would it be say with a press of a button, the faders 1-6 becomes 7-12? Or do we have to get into the menu and get through a few selections, before getting Channels 7-12?

Best Regards,

Lawrence

Supposing if we are using say a Nomad 8 or 12 could you explain a little on steps required to do to adjust the fader/trim without the optional 4 faders? That is, would it be say with a press of a button, the faders 1-6 becomes 7-12? Or do we have to get into the menu and get through a few selections, before getting Channels 7-12?

Its very easy - when that home screen is up all you have to do is push in the menu knob one time and the top "fader" (channel 7) is highlighted then you would rotate the menu knob to the right to increase or to the left to decrease level. You will see the on screen fader move accordingly. Then to get to channel 8 you push the menu knob in again - fader 8 is then highlighted. And so forth.

Its very easy - when that home screen is up all you have to do is push in the menu knob one time and the top "fader" (channel 7) is highlighted then you would rotate the menu knob to the right to increase or to the left to decrease level. You will see the on screen fader move accordingly. Then to get to channel 8 you push the menu knob in again - fader 8 is then highlighted. And so forth.

Thanks Jack, so I guess the tricky part comes is when say you have a talent on channel 7 & 8 and say may have to do some mixing with them, would that mean when you are on Ch8, and when you want to adjust Ch7, we need to click the menu a few times for it to cycle through 9-12 before coming back to 7? Then sometimes in a hurry, we might have click an extra time and get back to Ch8 and have to re click a whole cycle to get it back to Ch7? Would this be a case?

Hi Glenn, is it difficult to implement a shift or something similar like that? Of course changing the hardware is not possible immediately, but perhaps either on the menu allowing one of the buttons to be assign as a shift key?

A quick question slight off topic for Fusion/Deva owners, say like for Fusion 10/12 how do you operate the Ch9-12 with the 8 Faders?

Reason suggestion this is that I'm thinking the position of the 4 optional faders may be a little hard to reach in a bag, as it would be on the right side, I suppose facing right (unless I understand it wrongly from the previous post).

Thanks.

Best Regards,

Lawrence

Thanks Jack, so I guess the tricky part comes is when say you have a talent on channel 7 & 8 and say may have to do some mixing with them, would that mean when you are on Ch8, and when you want to adjust Ch7, we need to click the menu a few times for it to cycle through 9-12 before coming back to 7? Then sometimes in a hurry, we might have click an extra time and get back to Ch8 and have to re click a whole cycle to get it back to Ch7? Would this be a case?

Actually it is 4 external channels so you are toggling thru 7 -10 not 7-12. And yes at this point you would have to toggle thru 7-10 in that order. That being said Nomad is a software driven mixer / recorder. So if users want, and or figure out a different or better way of operating Nomad Glenn is listening and is open to suggestions. For example after general release if users say "I want a home screen that shows ..." it is a easy as a few lines of code and a simple software update.

Jack,

How is the feel of the REC button? All those front panel buttons look like membrane switches. I like the feel and size of the 744t and Fusion REC buttons, which are raised and somewhat "mechanical" feeling. I don't want to be fumbling around on the job trying to: 1 find the REC button and: 2 know whether or not I've gone into record. (Yes, I do use the headphone REC warning bell with my 744t)

I like the idea of a bit of compression on all the inputs for those pesky reality situations where you have wireless coming in on all the channels available, and could use the compression to both fatten up the signals and protect against overload. ratios, and thresholds adjustable, with choice o f hard knee or soft-knee (over-easy style)... It would also be useful to have these options on all the outputs. Also for the outputs, a separate, adjustable threshold hard limiter (like peak-stop) for positive protection against overload.

There could probably be a home page for all these C/L's.

Edited by studiomprd

Angelo - I don't believe that the manual is ready yet.

Simon - if I am correct I believe that AES42 Mode 2 is the metadata and control stuff, and no, to my knowledge Nomad doesn't do that stuff.

Basenji - you are correct, they are membrane type buttons, not dissimilar to Deva and Fusion. Personally I dont have a big problem with these, and in fact, when I played with a very early prototype of the Nomad, I found the buttons to have quite a positive feel.

Kindest regards,

Simon B

Jack,

How is the feel of the REC button? All those front panel buttons look like membrane switches. I like the feel and size of the 744t and Fusion REC buttons, which are raised and somewhat "mechanical" feeling. I don't want to be fumbling around on the job trying to: 1 find the REC button and: 2 know whether or not I've gone into record. (Yes, I do use the headphone REC warning bell with my 744t)

The Membrane REC-Stop buttons is the thing that really bothers me on the Nomad, I wonder how long they will last pressing REC-Stop all day long. Glenn, any chance zaxcom comes out with a REC switch accessory ?

There is a contact closure input for the record function so a remote switch can be added. The Nomad keys should last a very long time and are easily replaced if neccessary. The advantage to them is that they are totaly sealed/waterproof.

Glenn

Actually it is 4 external channels so you are toggling thru 7 -10 not 7-12. And yes at this point you would have to toggle thru 7-10 in that order. That being said Nomad is a software driven mixer / recorder. So if users want, and or figure out a different or better way of operating Nomad Glenn is listening and is open to suggestions. For example after general release if users say "I want a home screen that shows ..." it is a easy as a few lines of code and a simple software update.

Thanks Jack. Thanks for reminding again, that Nomad 12 is 10+2 mix tracks. Keep thinking it's 12 Ins.

My Deva 5.8 is 5 years or so old now, and is going strong - never a single issue with the membrance switches.

I am still aware of the chap that bought my old Deva 5, and I have heard of no problems with the membrane switches. That machine must now be 10 years or so old.

If your issue or worry is with the reliability of the switches, then I'd not worry. If your issue is with the way they feel, or finding them by touch, then you may well need to have a try/feel/explore, and work out if you need to thinkagain.

Kindest regards,

Simon B

There are a lot of great features and flexibility on the Nomad. However, I'm disappointed that it's max sample rate is 48.048.

Any chance a high sample rate on the ADC can be achieved through a software upgrade or would it have to be a hardware upgrade? I would imagine it is a hardware issue and not software but I wanted to ask.

For me, if the Nomad is going to be restricted to 48.048 I'm not even going to consider it for purchase.

In regards to the analog mix inputs, can these be recorded and controlled as separate mono inputs or just as a stereo pair?

There are a lot of great features and flexibility on the Nomad. However, I'm disappointed that it's max sample rate is 48.048.

Previously stated in the other Nomad thread, max sample rate will go to 96khz and 'should' go to 192khz with some track count restrictions.

As for the analogue mix ins (returns) - I'd like to know this too.