• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Timothy Leary would've hired this guy immediately!

http://hifructose.com/2015/03/03/peter-koglers-floor-to-ceiling-installations-create-optical-illusions/

Peter Kogler’s Floor-to-Ceiling Installations Create Optical Illusions

by Nastia Voynovskaya

post-118-0-81033100-1425405166_thumb.png

MSU, Musuem of Contemporary Art, Zagreb, Croatia

Using grid-like patterns that snake and spiral into organic shapes, Peter Kogler creates installations that make viewers feel like they just entered the matrix. Sometimes painted directly on the walls and sometimes in the form of projections, Kogler’s futuristic aesthetic transforms spaces into illusory environments with a disorienting effect. The artist has created his installations on the walls of galleries and museums all over Europe. In the photos documenting his pieces below, viewers become subsumed in patterns as they navigate Kogler’s altered spaces.

post-118-0-47730200-1425405227_thumb.png

MMCA, Thessaloniki, Greece

post-118-0-73252800-1425405267_thumb.png

Galerie im Taxispalais, Innsbruck, Austria

post-118-0-79850300-1425405300_thumb.png

Dirimart Gallery, Istanbul, Turkey

post-118-0-86470200-1425405377_thumb.png

Schirn Kunsthalle, Frankfurt, Germany

post-118-0-81033100-1425405166_thumb.png

post-118-0-47730200-1425405227_thumb.png

post-118-0-73252800-1425405267_thumb.png

post-118-0-79850300-1425405300_thumb.png

post-118-0-86470200-1425405377_thumb.png

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The ukulele maker and his race against Parkinson's

17 August 2015

For many people, the sound of the ukulele transports them to the tropical paradise of Hawaii. More recently it's been popular among hipsters.

Pete Howlett lives 7,000 miles from the islands where the instrument originated, but his ukes are some of the most sought after in the world.

He said that he would only make 1,000 of the instruments, but has recently been diagnosed with Parkinson's disease.

In his workshop, in the foothills of Snowdon, he has now gathered the wood for his final few ukuleles.

The disappearing art of making scissors by hand

1 August 2014

Ernest Wright and Son Ltd may be the last factory in Britain still making scissors by hand.

Earlier this year it looked as though they too might be about to close.

But then a video by photographer Shaun Bloodworth showing how the scissors are made went viral. Orders immediately went up, with a flood of requests from the US.

Eric Stones, one of the two "Master Puttertogetherers" at the factory, spoke to BBC News about his disappearing craft.

Video journalist: Susannah Reid

The spectacles factory unchanged since 1932

5 June 2013

In 1932, entrepreneur Max Wiseman imported into the UK an entire factory of spectacle frame-making machinery and staff from Germany.

The Algha Works factory was born at Fish Island in east London and fast became a leading manufacturer of frames, including the eternally fashionable "round-eye".

Now the only frame maker left in Britain, the factory is still in business today producing glasses under the Savile Row brand - and mainly exports its products.

The original machines are still used to hand-craft the spectacles, which have been worn by the likes of Harry Potter, Denzel Washington and Johnny Depp.

Staff old and new reflect on the history of the plant and what it is like working with antique tools and machines, which each have a personality all of their own.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-22766785

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

" Before Edgar Wright and Wes Anderson, before Chuck Jones and Jackie Chan, there was Buster Keaton, one of the founding fathers of visual comedy. And nearly 100 years after he first appeared onscreen, we’re still learning from him. Today, I’d like to talk about the artistry (and the thinking) behind his gags. Press the CC button to see the names of the films. " (Tony Zhou)

• 1 month later...

Been in work mode, and am finally coming back out of that cloud. Finally catching up on some missed posts. I love what you've posted and am happy to see this thread has been nurtured.

On 9/21/2015 at 11:44 AM, new mexico said:

"4k Sound" - a nicely put together mini-doc. Beautiful craftsmanship, with lines in the guitar and with his paint. Wasn't impressed completely by the sound, but I trust it sounded amazing in that room. Reminded me that I need new strings...

On 10/6/2015 at 11:57 AM, new mexico said:

The first words they use from his interview are perfect! "...I don't do any repairs, I make Ukelele..." A true artisan! And great for him to stick to that. He stayed true to his passion and now he's become sought after, perhaps motivated by his imposed limit. What will he do with his spare time? I bet he begins crafting some other type of masterpiece. I'd love to watch that doc. A "Where is he now!" version!

Wow, another gem! Sticks to his passion, despite seeing other bail, and simply does what he loves, and perhaps a bit of what he knows. But you can see his love for his precision, and care for each pair he makes, with love. and now it all pays off for him at the end. Gave me a big laugh, and smile. Nice!

"We've been making round eyes, since 1932, and people still wear them." I now know where to get my round eyes. As far as I can say, they are the only ones that can make them.

On 10/7/2015 at 6:30 PM, new mexico said:

The Sound of this spot is amazing. If the design is intentional, or as I will assume here, the raw production tracks, and I love it. No glamerous music bed, no meat puupets blabbering. Just sounds, from all levels of calming zen, to hair-razing and nerve bending.

....the visuals are cool, too.

On 10/18/2015 at 11:53 PM, new mexico said:

I love sand art. I didn't really discover it until a couple of years ago. It seemed then, that this has been a common expression for some time now, as there were countless artists displaying themselves through this medium. It's a great way of storytelling that can evoke some serious emotions, if done properly. Some will blow your mind. I like this, as this being Ukraine's Got Talent, this artist captures a great opportunity to display how art with sound, and in this case, a stage, can help transcend language and cultural barriers. She obviously hits an emotional note with the audience, as she tells a historical story in their culture. Despite the visual clues given with audience cameras, we can still tell what the story is, without language. And if it spoke to you, you got emotional. And it's a story told in all cultures, all societies. We have all heard it, or experienced it. Art can speak to everyone, that's the beauty I see and love about it. Thanks for this!

On 11/20/2015 at 2:17 AM, new mexico said:

Hmmm... this video had me going in many places. First, thought I was on mushrooms, because my hearing slightly warped, and flashed me back for a second to a time, when I wanted something really badly. But instead of discovering then, that it was the video, I decided to let that ride, and continue on. My mind slowly came back to "reality" as the dialog started up, but I barely hearing what he was saying, but listening at the same time. Then a groovy boat house showed up, with Stuart Brand on it... and off we were...

Interesting idea. I am not someone who even wears a watch. Only when I work am I ever aware of time. The need for something of this, is highly debatable. They lost me at digging into a mountain and yet claiming to be "invested  in generational thinking" and hoping to answer the question "are we being good ancestors?" in the next breath....

Bad vibes....

On 11/20/2015 at 2:17 AM, new mexico said:

Wow, I am in love with the Southwest!! I spent a week in Utah a little over a year ago. I just got back from a trip where I was able to share the beauty of the Southwest in northern Arizona with my kids over the holidays. We had snow for Christmas, and these images brought me right back to that experience. Thanks for that. That span is breathtaking!! I hate to say it this, but I forgot I was suppose to be looking at a guy on a slackline. So I watched, again. Short enough to watch a third time for the background, again!  

I will make sure to check out Castle Valley on my trip to Arches. Thank you!

Still, all I could think about was how he couldn't take a photo from up there! But it looks like a rig on his head. So maybe.....

That final shot is simply amazing!!

On 11/20/2015 at 5:21 PM, Martin Jelovsek said:

Well as we were finishing shooting in Liauing Museum in Austria I found myself in empy set / room so I kind of did this picture that I consider ART :)

Martin

IMG_4227.jpg

Martin, this shot is great! Perfect, in so many ways! Thank you for sharing.

On 11/23/2015 at 6:55 PM, new mexico said:

" Before Edgar Wright and Wes Anderson, before Chuck Jones and Jackie Chan, there was Buster Keaton, one of the founding fathers of visual comedy. And nearly 100 years after he first appeared onscreen, we’re still learning from him. Today, I’d like to talk about the artistry (and the thinking) behind his gags. Press the CC button to see the names of the films. " (Tony Zhou)

Very cool, and entertaining. I did not know much about Buster Keaton, and am glad that I know more now! He was a funny comedian, and comedy is a tough sell. I wonder why he isn't mentioned as often as the other comedic actors of his time? I have to think that I would've gravitated towards his features if he had fewer cards to read.

I know 99.2% of us consider ourselves artistic. Even the heavy left brained soundies have a .8% creative side. I went through these posts and see only a few contributions of our own. Thanks to Martin's post, I want to start encouraging that energy. I know we have some passionate people out there that can't possibly be focusing it completely on sound. If you have photos, paintings, music, sculpture, poetry, please share.

My artistic passions fall with photography, and I have been working with that for over a year now. Most exclusively, with nature, as I find people and posing is an art form that does not resonate with me. I like candid moments when it comes to people. Nature seems to speak to me, so I started listening. These are a few of frames that I've captured on adventures and on set. I would love to see what passions serve your artistic expression!IMG_4835.jpg.aab12fcc7722d2880c2428c4432IMG_4875.thumb.jpg.9bfb6777f590b9a540007

IMG_5202.jpg.2bf576c6c7bb9a91b4048615bd3

IMG_1329-Edit.jpg.a01181f9b7f64f86835071

IMG_4220.jpg.c056cbe4b16a0079bed1c27dca8

IMG_6387.jpg.60a08c5454b289c4b1ccd79387a

I look forward to seeing what you create as well as what inspires you!

Peace!