AES 42 for the Schoeps SuperCMIT

AB

This is what I could find so far:

12.Audioroot eSMART 42-DH

battery-powered box for 10 Volt digital phantom powering (DPP)

input: AES42, output: AES 3

2 additional HRS power outputs for mixer / recorder supply

can also be operated from an external power supply

Neumann DMI-2, DMI-2 portable and DMI-8 are options for AES42 mode 2. They require power and are price-prohibitive items for many, but they offer AES42 remote control.

DMI-2 at Neumann.com: http://bit.ly/poIyKT

Coffey Price: $1049.95

DMI-2 Portable (new!) at Neumann.com: http://bit.ly/oWjXmr

Coffey Price: $999.95

DMI-8 at Neumann.com: http://bit.ly/pfeinn

Coffey Price: $3249.95

The STA042 must use external power to run a AES42 microphone. The 2 AA batteries in the TRX900AA are not enough to power the whole system with the current crop of AES42 microphones. The IFB receive function is available with the STA042 as well as time code.

AES42 mode 2 is available on the Nomad but will not be active until we get some user feedback on what people want it to do. We must also do compatability testing for each microphone.

Glenn

Throwing my feedback into the bucket... I'd like the STA042 / TRX900AA combo to be able to control gain range and to enable / set HPF. If I have to set the filters up using the DMI-2 first, and then just be able to activate them with the STA042, that would be enough. The microphones I'm interested in specifically are the Sennheiser 8000 series with the MZD adapter. I figure the other half of us are probably interested in the Schoeps CMIT and CMD2 preamp bodies... I can't see to many of us using Neumann Solution D or their other D series mics.

• 1 month later...

I am personally concerned only with the sennheiser mics, but I think the powering considerations are mostly the same.

What is the least expensive recommended way to power and convert an AES42 mic? I saw AB mentioned the

"Audioroot eSMART 42-DH

battery-powered box for 10 Volt digital phantom powering (DPP)

input: AES42, output: AES 3

2 additional HRS power outputs for mixer / recorder supply

can also be operated from an external power supply"

How much does this cost? Is there a less expensive alternative? Those batteries look very expensive.

" Is there a less expensive alternative? "

beware of tripping over dollars to pick up a dime...

The rule: Generally speaking, you get what you pay for.

If only I had a dollar for every time somebody has told me that... :D

• So there is the Audioroot all-in-one AES42/AES3 converter+10v phantom power provider, $?
  • There is the Schoeps Mini-DA42 plus somekind of hirose power from Remote Audio etc. $550 +$?
  • There is the Neumann digital connection kit with a hirose adapter plus somekind of hirose power from Remote Audio etc. $?+$?
  • There is the Zaxcom ZFR100 Bodypack Recorder $1000 + STA042 $400~ plus somekind of hirose power from Remote Audio etc. $1400+$?
  • +STA042 AES42 digital stereo $400 = $1400
  • Or there is a Nomad 6 which has one single aes42 phantom powered stereo jack. $4400~
  • Or there is the 788t $6.5k (4 aes42 phantom i think?) and AETA 4Minx (2 aes42 phantom) $5900~ 4-channel+timecode version.

Just figuring out the options right now..

• 1 year later...

The STA042 must use external power to run a AES42 microphone. The 2 AA batteries in the TRX900AA are not enough to power the whole system with the current crop of AES42 microphones. The IFB receive function is available with the STA042 as well as time code.

AES42 mode 2 is available on the Nomad but will not be active until we get some user feedback on what people want it to do. We must also do compatability testing for each microphone.

Glenn

What is happening with this? I'd really like to get a Super CMIT this year. And I'd rather not do a work around.

Could it also be done with Deva/Fusion?