Steve Jobs Resigns from Apple

Marc Wielage

From Reuters...

Steve Jobs resigns as CEO, named chairman

SAN FRANCISCO | Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:43pm EDT

(Reuters) - Silicon Valley legend Steve Jobs on Wednesday resigned as chief executive of Apple Inc in a stunning move at the technology giant he co-founded in a garage.

The 55-year-old Apple co-founder and pancreatic cancer survivor has been on medical leave for an undisclosed condition since January 17.

Apple said Steve Jobs has been elected chairman and Tim Cook has been elected CEO.

http://www.reuters.c...E77N82K20110824

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/08/24/jobs-resigns-as-apple-ceo-to-stay-as-chairman/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Very sad news.

Steve Jobs has resigned as chief executive officer of Apple (AAPL). The company has promoted chief operating officer Tim Cook to the position of CEO and said that Cook will join the company's board of directors. Jobs will become Apple's chairman.

Here is a copy of Jobs' resignation letter:

To the Apple Board of Directors and the Apple Community:

I have always said if there ever came a day when I could no longer meet my duties and expectations as Apple''s CEO, I would be the first to let you know. Unfortunately, that day has come.

I hereby resign as CEO of Apple. I would like to serve, if the Board sees fit, as Chairman of the Board, director and Apple employee.

As far as my successor goes, I strongly recommend that we execute our succession plan and name Tim Cook as CEO of Apple.

I believe Apple''s brightest and most innovative days are ahead of it. And I look forward to watching and contributing to its success in a new role.

I have made some of the best friends of my life at Apple, and I thank you all for the many years of being able to work alongside you.

Steve

post-1-0-57102100-1314226745.png

Apple board member Art Levinson, chairman of Genentech, issued the following statement on behalf of the Apple board:

"Steve's extraordinary vision and leadership saved Apple and guided it to its position as the world's most innovative and valuable technology company. Steve has made countless contributions to Apple's success, and he has attracted and inspired Apple's immensely creative employees and world class executive team. In his new role as Chairman of the Board, Steve will continue to serve Apple with his unique insights, creativity and inspiration."

We have no additional details yet on why Jobs is leaving, although the spot assumption is that it's related to the liver disease for which he received a transplant in 2009. The fact that Jobs is taking over as board chairman, rather than resigning that seat too, would seem to indicate that his condition is serious but not imminently debilitating.

Apple shares today traded up $2.58 to close at $376.18 per share. It has fallen 68 cents so far in aftermarket trading.

One of the best articles written about Steve Jobs, the history, his legacy up to now; it's a good read for anyone interested. One excerpt here:

Famous for the Mac and iPhone, Jobs’s influence has been much deeper than anyone else I can think of in the technology industry—an industry with no shortage of larger-than-life figures who also have made big differences (good and bad), such as Larry Ellison, Philippe Kahn, Scott McNealy, Marc Benioff, Bill Gates, and Carly Fiorina.

Jobs changed the music industry with the iPod, the cellular phone industry with the iPhone, the movie industry with his Pixar Animation Studios films, and the computing industry with the original Mac and then again with Mac OS X and just last year with the iPad . He has been in the middle of doing the same transformation to the publishing industry with his iBooks and media subscription services, and with the software industry with his App Store. Many of the iconic products created under his leadership have become the models for everyone else, creating a demand for high quality, good design, and user-centric products.

That’s why when you think smartphone, you think iPhone; when you think tablet, you think iPad; when you think ease of use you think Mac OS X; when you think digital music you think iPod and iTunes; and when you think of family movies you think of “Toy Story” and the rest.

READ the whole Article

after hours trading has taken the stock down about $50/share

http://gizmodo.com/5...-of-wall-street

Hmmm... I heard 5%, and that seems to be about where it is now:

http://www.nasdaq.com/aspxcontent/ExtendedTradingTrades.aspx?selected=AAPL&mkttype=after

Tomorrow? Who knows...

At iPhone 5 announcement? Then it will start to get interesting...

But you know, he's been out on leave for 2011...

I wish Mr Jobs and his family a long and rewarding future. Movies, Books, Music, Lives, all have 3 acts and 4 seasons, but they all end sometime. That is the cycle we all circle in. The only rule is no one gets out alive. The what you do w your turn on Earth as a Human Being is what's important. Steve Jobs will be remembered for his time here. Big fan of the man.

CrewC

BTW, if I had the $$$ I would buy on the dip, but what do I know.

Best story about Steve Jobs I've seen:

====

Vic Gundotra - Aug 24, 2011 (edited) - Public

Icon Ambulance

One Sunday morning, January 6th, 2008 I was attending religious services when my cell phone vibrated. As discreetly as possible, I checked the phone and noticed that my phone said "Caller ID unknown". I choose to ignore.

After services, as I was walking to my car with my family, I checked my cell phone messages. The message left was from Steve Jobs. "Vic, can you call me at home? I have something urgent to discuss" it said.

====

Rest of the not-too-long anecdote here:

https://plus.google....sts/gcSStkKxXTw