moving from a MKH 416T to a Neumann KMR 81i?

Elephant_Talk

Hello everyone,

I've own a 2nd handed Sennheiser MKH 416T for a few years now; I mainly use it for dialogue recording on location but also for FX and foley recording. While it is a good mic that has served me well, I think it has a considerably high self noise for quiet locations or low level sounds (some foley stuff); apart from this I would also like a mic that can help me to get better dialogue on noisy environments (off-axis rejection).

I'm now considering on getting a used Neumann KMR 81i (as they can be found in the market from time to time) to record "warmer" dialogue and also for studio work. I haven't used the KMR 81i myself and won't have the chance to test it because of where I live (I would have to import the mic) so I'm not really sure if moving from a MKH 416T to a KMR 81i would be the big upgrade I expect it to be...

I've done my research (reading online reviews and listening to Dan Brockett test) but without the chance of testing the mic I just feel insecure about the decision. Can anyone with experience with this two mics please comment on the next points:

- quality for dialogue recording

- self noise

- off-axis rejection

- quality for foley/fx recording

Any advice on this matter will be greatly appreciated!

All the best,

Andres.

I owned a 416T a while back, and subsequently the RSM-191 which I believe shares some characteristics with the KMR 81i (not sure if it shares some of the exact same components).

What struck me about the Neumann compared to the 416T was how "isolated" and warm it could make things sound, almost like you're in a soundbooth.

The Neumann also handled off-mic and reflections with more grace than the 416T, ie the frequency response is more uniform when mildly off-mic.

There's a reason Sennheiser bought Neumann ....

" a bit too colorful for Foley, "

that is Foley with an upper case F...

and no, not really, as the CS-3e is black. >:D

actually the answer here is "it is very subjective, but I wouldn't normally choose an interference tube type of mic for Foley work...

What I said was that the differences compared to the 416 would be more noticeable with a CS-3e,

I'm afraid that the self noise of a CS3e will be higher compared to a 416. The times I used a KMR81 on noisy locations, I wasn't too impressed by the off-axis rejection when it comes to 'rejecting' noise like traffic, people etc.. the Sanken CS3e will win on that department, hands down.. I can't really comment on the self-noise of a KMR81i, sorry.

Fortunately I won't be selling my 416 in order to get a new mic, it' clear to me that it is a "must" to keep one in the quiver : D. It's only that after 4 years using just that shotgun mic I feel like trying a new flavor and now I kind of have some money for it...

Is there any mic you guys would recommend that can fulfill the expectations stated in my initial post? Or am I expecting to much from a single mic? Thanks!

Andres.

Fortunately I won't be selling my 416 in order to get a new mic, it' clear to me that it is a "must" to keep one in the quiver : D. It's only that after 4 years using just that shotgun mic I feel like trying a new flavor and now I kind of have some money for it...

Is there any mic you guys would recommend that can fulfill the expectations stated in my initial post? Or am I expecting to much from a single mic? Thanks!

Andres.

I wouldn't buy another mic which is very close to what you already have, unless you're getting pairs for two-mic shots, which many of us have.

If I had just a 416 and were looking to add another mic, I'd be thinking MKH50 or Schoeps CMC/41.

had 2x 81s for years. much NICER ( friendlier, warmer, kinder, gentler,subtler (!) ) sounding than any Sennheisser - . Senn seems to dig out voices (high mids) from NOISE better. Neumann is a little more wind sensitive, you need to take care you have proper bags. low freques are there - not so much on Sennh. never had moisture probs.

Sennh. is an axe, Neumann a butter knife.

geeeeeeeeeeeez wolf ( PS my 2 are for sale at LSC) so are my Senn. 48V.

There you go again talking about the quiver, or is it the arrows, or it's the archer not the quiver? Whatever.

[highjack] I'm starting to not like the "archer not the arrows" analogy much anymore. An archer can't do his job if he's out of ammo can he... [/highjack]

I've done my research (reading online reviews and listening to Dan Brockett test) but without the chance of testing the mic I just feel insecure about the decision.

I strongly believe you shouldn't buy any microphone at all, especially in this price range ($1000+), without first actually using it for a weekend and trying it out under battle conditions. Rent or borrow one before you commit to a purchase.

There's tons of good choices out there: Neumann, Sanken, Schoeps, Sennheiser... all different, each good in certain ways, maybe not as good in other ways. If you're trying to use a short shotgun for both dialog and Foley (capital F), then the 416P48 or the MKH60 are both actually pretty good. I have to say, the Sennheisers I've used have extremely low noise floors.

--Marc W.

I'm of the same mind as Mr. Sharman. If you do interior dialog at all, a Schoeps CMC6/MK41 or Sennheiser MKH50 would be my suggestion for a first addition to the arsenal. You mention foley and sfx gathering, so you might even consider a Schoeps MK4 (cardioid) capsule, which sounds even better than the MK41 with a slightly wider pattern and it also doesn't have the rear lobe that you get with a hyper-cardioid.

I own both. First worked for some time with neumann kmr 81 that was not mine at that time. Then bought my first mic - a 416. Sennheiser is a workhorse, but i got tired of its poor performance in interiors pretty fast - outside it's where it really works well. So the next mics i bought were a pair of neumann kmr81 mics - i was thinking hard and long about that, and wanted a pair that could be used together. Anyway, it's a similar mic technically, it has the similar reach (difference being 416 has some boosted highs that makes you perceive the reach as 'better') kmr81 has a wider sweet spot, makes it more forgiving when you mike two people for ex. And it's a lot smoother, buttery in fact. I personally love that as it seems to work on every voice i throw at it. Voices sound natural, balanced, and just real. Like you hear them with your ears. Even the squeaky woman voices. It does not accentuate sibilants unnaturally. With 416, you can achieve a similar result by putting it into a basket. It loses the hf boost a little then and it's more balanced. So, the kmr81 is darker, more studio-sounding mic than the brighter 416. It captures the room ambience better and sounds more natural in interiors. Better for foley too i think, because it does not boost HF like 416. Think steps, paper, sibilants, whatever has that hf in it - with 416 it can sound fake if you're miking it too close. (the solution is to mike it further away, but then you have to have perfect room acoustics) It just sounds natural. I think it's a classy sounding mic and am happy to have it in my kit. Oh, and the neumann is more delicate - think moisture and rf (for rf, the solution i have yet to try seems to be the neutrik xlr jacks that have rf shield built in) i had mine fail on me in rain on my last shoot, but i was standing in the rain (the kmr81 was in the basket) 416 saved the day then.

Now - i'm wondering and asking the people who have schoeps mk41 is it worth for me to buy the 41 hyper to use in interiors over neumann?

Bartosz

If your looking for reach the schoeps cmit is amazing for it's size, but if your going for an all around mic for both location and foley I'd get the MKH50 it's a little wider than the 416 but it's more natural and this will be great for your foley work. It will also mix beautifully with your 416 you already have... And you should send it to sennheiser if it's noisy because the 416 is really usually pretty good.