ways to enter metadata

Jeff Wexler

During a discussion today the idea came up about the possibility of using a writing tablet

with handwriting recognition software. My question, to the group, is if this were possible (tablet/software/interface/drivers) for any of the popular non-linear machines, would people want to enter metadata using a stylus and handwriting. My personal feeling is that people who are comfortable with keyboard entry would probably continue to hope for better support for a variety of keyboards (each machine, as we know, does things somewhat differently) and those who have good handwriting might prefer to hand write metadata. Independent of any analysis of how easy or difficult this might be, does anyone think that handwriting metadata is something people might want to do?

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

Jeff Wrote:

"does anybody WANT to do this --- enter metadata via handwriting?"

Actually, I was ecstatic to get away from handwriting and be able to use a keyboard.  I find the entering of metadata and keeping notes to be a lot easier now than it ever was when I had to do it with a pen.  Personally, I can't imagine what the advantage of handwriting recognition over a keyboard could possibly be.  And then what becomes of the "keyboard shortcuts"?

There are plenty of small keyboards out there if need be, even bluetooth ones for those recording onto bluetooth capable devices.  For me, this is the way to go.

Jeff Wrote:

"does anybody WANT to do this --- enter metadata via handwriting?"

Actually, I was ecstatic to get away from handwriting and be able to use a keyboard.  I find the entering of metadata and keeping notes to be a lot easier now than it ever was when I had to do it with a pen.  Personally, I can't imagine what the advantage of handwriting recognition over a keyboard could possibly be.  And then what becomes of the "keyboard shortcuts"?

There are plenty of small keyboards out there if need be, even bluetooth ones for those recording onto bluetooth capable devices.  For me, this is the way to go.

I go the other way--I'd love to get the keyboard off my cart.  This is a great idea.  SD in particular should take notice.

Philip Perkins

What about voice recognition software integrated into the DEVA, Cantar, 744T etc?

Wouldn't it be nice to slate the take/scene and have the metadata fill in automatically...

If it worked, I think it would be the most efficient. (and could even be implemented for us over-the-shoulder guys who can't type and run)

-Jason

I remember thinking that "Grafiti" (Palm's handwriting rec) on my old Palm Pilot was the coolest thing, until I switched to a Treo with the tiny built in keyboard.  Even typing with my thumbs, its way faster and more accurate than using the stylus ever was for me.  I guess I have better typing skills than handwiriting, I'll stick with a keyboard.

-Brandon

It's interesting that Jeff should bring this up today. I was at the library and MacWorld had an article about a Macbook  tablet being tested right now. It can act as a touchscreen with the supplied "pen". Macworld also had a small article about keyboards and in reading it I realized I can have my keyboard displayed on my laptop screen and enter Metadata using only a bluetooth mouse. No need to reach up to the laptop keyboard. This is only usefull for Boom Recorder and not the 744 or others but it is a bit of a help. I would love to find an easy way to enter or match Metadata on the 744. The people in Post are getting very good at mining for our Metadata and the more we give them, particularly in the "note" field the happier they get.

My handwriting is a touch better than my spelling, so I should test any software that works that way. I like anything that works well, and would welcome better ways to send info down stream. Vo. recognition would be very cool, but I would be out of biz in 3 months do to my loose lips and snide asides. I personally would like a cool, programable, customizable, well priced pad/touch screen that is wirerless, foolproof, that I could I.M. and email with. That would be O.K. with me. Oh yea, I need my music. My best guess is that some smart bro/sis will write a gr8 program that we can use and customize for our needs, and send our data downstream with our Mac's./Deva's/SD744T's/Cantars/Whatevers as we see fit. My guess is Jeff, or Take, but I could be wrong. Can't wait to read the suggestions from the rest of the neighborhood.

CrewC

"I realized I can have my keyboard displayed on my laptop screen and enter Metadata using only a bluetooth mouse. No need to reach up to the laptop keyboard."

Ramsay, this is how I keep the keyboard in an ergonomic location.  Small enough to fit right where you need it.

http://www.thinkoutside.com/products/xtbtue/stowawaybt_product.html