29.97nd + 48048 + 35mm = ???

Bartek

hey Fellas,

soooooo as I was about to do this show I that Im on now I send the post production supervisor an email confirming the required settings they wanted me to use and well the title says it all. Fine.

In he middle of day two I get a panicked call from the 2nd Ad "Call the post house ASAP, major sync problems" so I did

The nice man at the other end of the line told me that I set my slate to 3nd and the tc is off. I double checked and hmmm NO, I DID NOT!

xxxxx

Email 1:

We are having MAJOR problems syncing dailies this will increases the time it takes to sync and our budget goes out the door. We are in Telecine 1 @ Westwind 818 525 2781

Bartek should call ASAP the Chief Engineer Westwind, Bryan Bailey, 818 525 2756

It appears The smart is set wrong or with a different frame rate

xxxxxx

Email 2

Hi Bartek

It started out at 10 sec off and keep increasing.

I am sure that some of the dailies on Thursday will have the same problem because I didn't get to you until 12 PM your time.  I will see if the later dailies have solved this problem and I will e-mail you either way

xxxxx

Soooooo, day three i wipped out smart slate # 2 and rolled. Just for shi# and giggles I jammed slate #1 (the slate I used for the previous 2 days, and recently recieved back from denecke from a tune up) and put it in the truck. At lunch I checked, and well the 2 slates and the recorder are in perfect sync. 10 hrs later... same thing. So its not the slate, I say to myself. I promptly demonstrated my "experiment" to my producers, made a few phone calls to the post circus, and one thing caught my attention. "Well bartek we went for the 48048 to get the 1% pull down since you  were using the fostex, and a deva.....Stop. Im using the 744. I send all that info in an email to the post house. These knuckleheads arend even talking to each other!

So my question is, does the fact that I am non linear affect any of the reasons why they would chouse 48048?

Does the TC behaiviour: off by 10 sec tk 1  of the day (speed up), up to 19 sec tk 2, down to 17sec tk 3 etc. make any sense. Is there anything I could have screwed up to even make this possible?

Any ideas how to find where the problem lies??

Bartek

30nd / 48.048 would / should be used in the field for pulldown to 29.97nd and 48K in telecine...

After pulldown, this would provide proper 48K for the digital studio decks, and maintain the digital signal chains in the facility if they choose to work all digitally.

( I still do quite a few disks at 30nd / 48 as analog routing and machine inputs are still used a good bit around here.... )

I'm not getting the 29 / 48.048 combination.... are they trying to pull down 29.97 ??

No can do...

Mike Filosa

Atlanta Field Production, Inc.

hi,

I got the call from post today... we need to switch to 30nd 48048.

Well, that was in my suggested settings email.

Yes, they were trying to "compensate" for the fostex 1% swithch. that being said their approach still makes little sense. And the fact that those folks cant communicate some of the basic information with each other is worriesome. But what makes mae a bit uneasy is the fact that the finger was automatically pointed at me. With a different set of producers, and another zero behind the budget I would have been fired on the spot.

This happened to me early in my career when it turned out that the edditors assistant forgot to plug in audio into the beta machine after running some tests, and the 1st weeks daylies came back "MOS"

I guess it comes with the territory.

Cheers, thanx for the input.

B

Bartek,

funny thing out here in L.A. (CA) a post house called me a couple days ago late in the day requesting a SD744T to xfer there audio?? (that was a new one for me) I remember the earlier deva recorders, you had to have a deva in post. but never for the current NLR's.

after asking a couple questions, then realizing they are xfering from a DV824. I told them the fostex unit should do the trick.

they actually thought they needed a SD 744t to xfer for telecine. sounds like the same post house

(they don't seem so sure of themselves) post always seems to point the finger at the prod.mixer when a problem occurs.

later,

Bartek,

funny thing out here in L.A. (CA) a post house called me a couple days ago late in the day requesting a SD744T to xfer there audio?? (that was a new one for me) I remember the earlier deva recorders, you had to have a deva in post. but never for the current NLR's.

after asking a couple questions, then realizing they are xfering from a DV824. I told them the fostex unit should do the trick.

they actually thought they needed a SD 744t to xfer for telecine. sounds like the same post house

(they don't seem so sure of themselves) post always seems to point the finger at the prod.mixer when a problem occurs.

later,

It really shows that they have no qualified engineers in the building.  The SD744t can not be used in Telecine since it has no 9 pin control and has no capability to chase-lock to time code.    I suppose they could use it to do a real-time Dub of the audio and TC off to a beta deck  or DAT machine and then use that in the Telecine session.  But using the DV824 with the right settings should work fine. 

---Courtney

Yes Noah. That and the fact that the folks at the other end are not talking wih each other. I've not heard anything from them ever since I got the call to go to 30nd, thus I presume that the issue was resolved.

Best,

Bartek

<snip>

On non-Fostex recorders, the sample rate and timecode settings are created independently, so you would need to set the TC to 30ND and the sample rate to 48.048 (F, if you want).

Mike,

Correct me if I am wrong, but for the 744 I think the 48.048"F" sample rate is mandatory for use with the DV-40. 

Or do the newer versions of firmware not choke on any file stampted as 48.048?

---Matt

to the man with 2 first names. (well 3 including your middle name) good to here from you in general and especially on the post issue, thanks for the info on the 744t and the settings for all  involved. you are awesome and see you in vegas. (5-6-8-9)

-Frank

CS Rental