MOS

Guest Mick

I haven't been asked the "what does MOS stand for" question in a very long time, but it happened today and I gave the standard "old German director from the 30s/40s ...Mit out sound" answer, along with the evergreen "minus/missing optical stripe", the widely used (on our set anyway) "Mick off set" and the ever-popular "Mick out snoring". I even tried a few new but relative ones..."mandatory observed silence" (that went down well)..."many 'orrible setups"...(stretching)..."manky old soundtrack"...(too ethnic)..."miserable old sod"...

You get the picture. Anyone know any others?

Regards

Mick

This is one hoary old definition,and maybe appropriate to today!

In the early days of Sound - think "Singing in the Rain" - mics would be hidden in vases of flowers or anywhere near the talent. Eventually needing some movement of the mic to accommodate talent moves,people of challenged stature would be employed to hide behind furniture and 'favour' the mic where possible.

When the shot didn't require sound, the call went out from the AD -

"Midgets Off Set""

"This is one hoary old definition,and maybe appropriate to today!

In the early days of Sound - think "Singing in the Rain" - mics would be hidden in vases of flowers or anywhere near the talent. Eventually needing some movement of the mic to accommodate talent moves,people of challenged stature would be employed to hide behind furniture and 'favour' the mic where possible.

When the shot didn't require sound, the call went out from the AD -

"Midgets Off Set""

Haven't heard that one in a long time but I think I know where it comes from. This is the product of cameraman Gary Graver's fertile imagination and sense of humor. He also had a long rambling story about POV involving Mack Sennet and "Pies on Ventura." Gary died this winter and his wry humor is sorely missed.

David Waelder

• 1 month later...