PCH motorcycle ride Sunday!

RPSharman

Whatever you do or whatever you ride, please take a moment to remember the victims and first responders who perished on that horrible date, 10 years ago.

I will, Richard. That day always fills me with emotion. I can't think of a better way to remember the civilian and uniformed heroes than by riding a Harley down the iconic American highway, PCH.

Alas, I am currently without two wheeled motorized transport, however I've owned many different street and dirt motorcycles over the years.

One of the great Southern California bike rides, in my opinion, is the ride up to Necomb's Ranch in the Angeles National Forrest. The original Newcomb's was built by it's namesake in the late 1920's, and was alledged to have been a "speak easy," or a place where someone could get a whisky during Prohibition. The common belief was that the restaurant/hotel was too far for the local Sheriff to bother with. That version of the "Ranch" burned down in the 1970's, and the current version is the result of the rebuild. You can still make the ride up, get a hamburger, or a salad, and have a beer and pretend you're back in the 1930's.

The son of the original owner just passed away recently, and he and his brothers were Olympic level skiers, and he was responsible for the first ski lift on Mount Waterman, which is still running today and I believe is owned and run by relatives of the Newcomb family.

Always ride as if they can't see you....

Cheers,

Rich Van Dyke

My last "good ride" was up to Newcomb with Glen Trew, Mick Davies, and Bud Raymond in the Spring. Still some snow up there. It was great. Had to take the long way, as the "main" road was still under construction. We got there to discover they were closed on the day of the week we decided to go. But it was a great ride.