nested apple boxes

Geoff Tirrell

Has anybody here had any experience with nested apple boxes. I saw a set the other day where the side of the full box came off to reveal a half, quarter, and pancake inside. I have been toying with making one slightly modified so as to be able to function as a boom caddy for those times I want one. Maybe an enlarged circular hole in the half and full box on one side instead of the typical slot. Also I will probably add a bead of silicone between all the joints to deaden any creaking noise that might come up as it ages.

What I am wondering is if any of you who have seen them up close can tell me is what kind of hasp is used on the removable end cap. The one I saw had some kind of a metal catch and I am wondering which kind so I can hopefully buy a couple.

hahah. hey movie star. (insert awkwardness here)

The hasp is called a roller catch. something like this:

http://www.iqhardware.com/emtek_880115a_roller_catch.asp

He puts in the top first, then clips in the bottom, I'm assuming there's a indent in the panel that clips in that they roller can pop up into.

"I have been toying with making one slightly modified so as to be able to function as a boom caddy for those times I want one. Maybe an enlarged circular hole in the half and full box on one side instead of the typical slot."

Somebody is already making an apple Box-based boom caddy --- I think I saw one at Coffey Sound. Essentially an apple box with a hole cut in (and protected with a rubber ring-gasket) and some other bits.

Somebody is already making an apple Box-based boom caddy --- I think I saw one at Coffey Sound. Essentially an apple box with a hole cut in (and protected with a rubber ring-gasket) and some other bits.

Does is it a nested box like these. I ask because I would like to be able to use the full set for those occasional times that I want something to raise or lower a work surface. Plus if I keep it together I was thinking that it wouldn't be bad on a windy day at keeping upright.

Haven't had hands on myself, but in a convo with some G buddies a while ago, the consensus was they're janky. Don't recall the arguments made, but I feel like if they didn't suck you'd see them everywhere. Like those awful spring loaded gobo heads.

I did a couple of days on a doc where interviewed several folks from one company so we spent the days in the company's communications department's little studio. It was a nice little space, but they had all those gadgets: these nested box sets, those goofy grip stands that have the arm that stores down the center tube, the led green screen system, etc.... There was a whole cabinet full of those "great idea" products.

Every set of the nested boxes was taped closed, seems the latches aren't very robust and it's a drag to have to check which end is up if you go to pick one up. Evidently it really smarts when the half size box lands on your toe.

Best regards,

Jim

I did a couple of days on a doc where interviewed several folks from one company so we spent the days in the company's communications department's little studio. It was a nice little space, but they had all those gadgets: these nested box sets, those goofy grip stands that have the arm that stores down the center tube, the led green screen system, etc.... There was a whole cabinet full of those "great idea" products.

Every set of the nested boxes was taped closed, seems the latches aren't very robust and it's a drag to have to check which end is up if you go to pick one up. Evidently it really smarts when the half size box lands on your toe.

Best regards,

Jim

Yeah I hear you on that one. I think I am going to end up building a set myself so that means I can rework the catch mechanism from what I have seen they are all roller catches or magnets holding them together. I am thinking I will make the side panel a slide out with a notch that should fix the main problem.

Problem is the more I think about it I would like to add a set to my kit but I don't have enough room for a proper set but if I build them right it should alleviate some of the problems.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so It looks like I may have some slow time coming up where I can build a couple of these for kicks. Does anybody have any experience with branding company contact info into something like this more specifically how. I may be over thinking this but I thought it might be cool to put my company name phone and e-mail in the corner before I put a couple of coats of marine polyurethane.

Ok so It looks like I may have some slow time coming up where I can build a couple of these for kicks. Does anybody have any experience with branding company contact info into something like this more specifically how. I may be over thinking this but I thought it might be cool to put my company name phone and e-mail in the corner before I put a couple of coats of marine polyurethane.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2001813/2546/Tool-Kit-10-In-1.aspx