SD 788 whishlist

VM

Also it would be great if there was another way of turning tracks of. Right now it's just turning the knob all the way down, right? And if you want to turn it back up you need to remember where your gain was... Why can't the 788 remember that for you?

If you hit input, you can de-asterix channels... Thus leaving your input trims as they are.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love my 788t.

I have tried the ipad app and think is very nice and usefull. I had it on my cart, instead of my keyboard, and it replaced it perfectly and added metters and some extra functions.

Something i would like to see is the possibility to plug it via usb and not wifi, to reduce RF and slag. And also Android, better tablets.

Meter reference numbers- not just a dot. The soft meters displayed by the LCD could have some kind of reference numbers. I do not like relying too much on color coding. I understand how the system works but when i am bouncing from machine to machine, it would be nice to know numerically where my levels are.

Got to say I prefer the colours - if Ur looking at 8 to 10 tracks the colours provide a quick guide to what is happening level wise. You get used to the "dot" being the reference point

As a moderately color blind person, I'd like some numbers. I've learned to compensate but other options would help.

Add a warning message in this case :

One day you put media record to ""only intern DD"

Another day you choose to record L and R only in CF media (input windows/media) and forget that record menu is only intern HDD.

No warning message, even the L and R blue led is on, sound goes on L and R meters but .... L and R are not recorded.

Should be better to have a warning message.

V.

I wish the 788T had a more powerfull headphone amplifier, that would not distort sound in my headphones, before the headphones thenselves or my ears would complain!

I know there's a red light led showing when the 788 headphone amp distorts, but it is very annoying having to check a take because I'm not really sure if the distortion is real or caused by the headphone amp!

I also wish that the 788T channels / level leds were labeled 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8!

I hate the L, R, A, B, C, D, E, F, G labeling!

Sometimes in a rush situation it is really confusing!

Tony Muricy

Tony Muricy

" I know there's a red light led showing when the 788 headphone amp distorts, "

Have you had your hearing checked recently?? ???

In fairness to Tony this is something I've had cause to moan about on both the 552 and the 788. On both machines I have experienced headphone clipping at only moderately loud monitoring volumes. This is in contrast to my SQN 5 where if I hear distortion it's going right to tape (I'm sure it's possible to turn the SQN monitoring up to clipping level, but you'd be deaf in seconds).

I'm aware that this doesn't seem to be a problem for everyone...

In fairness to Tony this is something I've had cause to moan about on both the 552 and the 788. On both machines I have experienced headphone clipping at only moderately loud monitoring volumes. This is in contrast to my SQN 5 where if I hear distortion it's going right to tape (I'm sure it's possible to turn the SQN monitoring up to clipping level, but you'd be deaf in seconds).

I'm aware that this doesn't seem to be a problem for everyone...

Generally though, the limiters on the 788T aren't as sharp and "transparent" as the 744T for example.. which is weird. Dunno if it's the physical amps or the software... That goes for the headphone amp as well.

Generally though, the limiters on the 788T aren't as sharp and "transparent" as the 744T for example.. which is weird. Dunno if it's the physical amps or the software... That goes for the headphone amp as well.

My technical knowledge of both the 552 and 778 components is limited, but my ears would tend to agree with you. Though the 552 and 788 have differing hardware as well I think.

Hey Senator

I know this is not a recomended practice, especially for my ears health, i know, but I did got used in all these years to monitor my sound at loud levels, so I can hear background sounds very well, and I can hear sound problems before everybody else will, and that gives me some safety margin to deal with it.

This way I do miss my Nagra times when I was sure I was hearing real recorded distortion, not the headphone amp's one!

And anyway, Senator, until now I'm still on the job!!

Thanks

Tony

Sounds loud, and tiring on the ears on a long day.

My wish is to simplify the "arming" of tracks to record. It would be more logical (to me any way) that if I activate an input (switch on trim) while in stop THAT should be ALL I need to do to arm the associated track to record. Having to check and possibly arm (again) via the INPUT window (asterisks) seem overly complicated.

Comments......

Sounds loud, and tiring on the ears on a long day.

My wish is to simplify the "arming" of tracks to record. It would be more logical (to me any way) that if I activate an input (switch on trim) while in stop THAT should be ALL I need to do to arm the associated track to record. Having to check and possibly arm (again) via the INPUT window (asterisks) seem overly complicated.

Comments......

+1

I like to see a "what you hear is what you record" type of arming/monitoring options. Very dangerous to have the ability to hear a track, see meter activity from that track, and still NOT record the track. This has been a consistent source of stress for alot of mixers. 744t could do this.

Call it a "safe monitor mode"?

Agreed, I got burned by this a couple weeks ago (forgot to confirm that tracks 7&8 had asterisks beside them when I armed them in the heat of the moment).

I know it's a user error but in my opinion if a track is armed it should be set to record by default! Seems more intuitive (to me) that way.

-Rob