Hard Drive failure

I've never had a hard drive bite the dust, and have been using PC's since the mid 90's. I always back up important data (read:sound files) to an external HD. I haven't tried it yet, but carbonite dot com seems like a good emergency plan for something like $60 a year for unlimited backup. The company was started by a guy whose daughter lost a term paper in college due to an HD failure.

I use Time Machine to back up my Mac to an external drive but I also am a Carbonite subscriber. I feel much more assured knowing that the content of my internal drive is stored in a cloud and I can simply restore it to my current mac or a new one no matter what version of OS.

One advantage for PC users is that Carbonite will also backup the contents of external drives as well!

Carbonite won't work for me because I have too goddamned much stuff. I think it's fine for critical data like financial information, correspondence, email, business records and so on. If you have tons of files (especially sound and picture), cloud-type backups are not quite practical yet. Data caps from ISPs, time delays, and hogging bandwidth are all big factors.

Given the day we have incredible bandwidth (50Mbps up and down), no data caps, and have computers that can do this stuff in the background with no performance hits, the concept can work. But at the moment, it ain't cheap. For example, Amazon has a backup service that's $1000 per terabyte per year.

Got a copy of Leopard. Problem solved...... I hope.

Got everything back except for all of my emails from about 2009. They're not in the Mail mailbox, but I did find them buried in the library folder. If I use spotlight I can do a search for emails by sender and it finds them. Just don't know how to get them back into my mailbox. Looking at the Time Machine backup I don't see any mail messages. Weird.

Not a HDD failure, but it does prove the effectiveness of Time Machine:

Every year I upgrade to the latest MacBook Pro 13 and sell off my old one. Keeps me up to date hardware and software wise, always covered under warranty, and I only lose about $200 in the sale and I buy cheap. I use Time Machine backed up to an external USB 2.5 hard drive and the minute the new laptop is opened up and running I just restore from the Time Machine backup. Im up and running in under an hour just like nothing ever happened except with an upgraded OS and laptop. Very cool stuff.