Nomad Simulator Availability

glenn

In the next few days Zaxcom will release Nomad sim. This simulator will allow anyone to experience the Nomad user interface and to learn its capabilities. The simulator will also help customers get familiar with the user interface so it will seem familiar when Nomad is delivered.

The Nomad sim is written for PC. I am sure macs that can run PC software will be fine with it as well. The Nomad sim will be available via the Zaxcom web site download section.

Glenn Sanders

President Zaxcom Inc

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Arri Alexa simulator is very cool, available on the web for anyone with an internet connection, platform agnostic.

ALEXA Camera Simulator

I'm not going to install any software to run a Windows only program... I will just have to wait to use Nomad in the real world. Zaxcom will not make this simulator run on a Mac, that's for sure. So, all my Windows friends (do I have any?) will have to tell me about how great the simulator is.

Well, that's normal: macs are so perfect they can even run XP* with Parallels or Bootcamp but PCs are so ''horrible'' that they can't run any of the Mac's OS... so it's normal to develop for PC only since you can reach everybody this way. ;D:P

* that even gives some reason to justify the occasionnal crash (uh, excuse me: ''strange/unexplainable/fellfromthegalaxy probelm'' : ''I was running ''baaad'' XP then later in the afternoon my Mac crashed'' heehee

I've never used a simulator before and I just went on the Alexa camera sim site and I feel I've been missing out. Are there many other ones out there. Do most manufacturer's of camera and audio recorders these days put out a sim in one form or another?

Can't wait to try the Nomad one.

The Arri Alexa simulator is very cool, available on the web for anyone with an internet connection, platform agnostic.

ALEXA Camera Simulator

I'm not going to install any software to run a Windows only program... I will just have to wait to use Nomad in the real world. Zaxcom will not make this simulator run on a Mac, that's for sure. So, all my Windows friends (do I have any?) will have to tell me about how great the simulator is.

Totally agree, I can't understand this, but I don't understand a lot of what goes on these days... I for one simply have no use, want, or desire to buy, install, or operate PC anything on any of my MACs.... especially to run only one companies simulator...

I am an interested NOMAD buyer as well.... too bad for me... I will have to learn the old fashioned way.... the manual and some trial and error.... That's par for the course....

Maybe the nice folks at that company will figure something out for the HUGE amount of people in our industry that have nothing to do with PCs... and I mean HUGE.... I do not know one, yes ONE person on a set, or in a tech position that uses a PC.... Have not seen one on a set in years...

We'll see.... It's early... (well, it's been months and months, so not early in the Nomad game, but in the SIM game)... I am hopeful.. I guess, thanks for the effort for the simulator I can't access... at least some folks will benefit... It is better than nothing....

Okay, I suppose I'm guilty as charged, I apologize for encouraging another "Mac vs. PC" (even though this is MY site!) but let's drop THAT part of this topic. I wouldn't want anyone to think I am not as truly thankful for everything Glenn Sanders and the team at Zaxcom has done over the years (coming up on 14 years for me starting with the Deva I); without their incredible contribution to our industry, literally starting the whole evolution to file-based recording, we wouldn't even be talking about half the things discussed here.

That said, I do feel that Zaxcom is a little behind the times regarding Apple and Mac OS, but I know that because of this they do not have in house resources to do much with the Mac OS beyond supplying a Mac version of Zaxconvert (which was a little bit of a mini-battle in the beginning when Zaxconvert was first proposed and was PC only).

I do think it is terrific to have available ANY simulators prior to widespread introduction of the gear and Zaxcom is applauded for doing that. The training and setup videos are absolute GOLD in my mind --- a good instructional video trumps even a well written owners manual as far as I'm concerned (and fortunately these videos are available online; it would be a pity if they were only available as a download in Windows Media format!).

I'm in the market for a new recorder. Been following these Nomad threads pretty close. The simulator sounds like a great idea, but I'm also one of those without a PC ... so I guess I'll just have to wait for a review from actual users.

Oh, I did actually see a PC used on a movie set, once. It belonged to the accounting department.

Thumbs up for Zaxcom and the simulator. I use the mac, but have no problem running windows app inside one of the windows from time to time :-) No need to feel superior about a piece of equipment. It's not the car. It's the driver that counts. Amateur will record bad quality tracks with a Nomad too, probably :D

It still surprises me that some of these software are PC based only when the majority of sound carts out there seem to sport a Mac. Lectro VR panel being the other I'm referring to.

I have boot camp on my Mac and Windows installed but it would be nice to have Mac versions. Almost everyone on set these days have a Mac laptop. The 2 main location recording software (Metacorder and Boom Recorder) are Mac based.

You know what might have been nice: do the simulator as an iPhone/iPad app. I continue to be surprised by the wide acceptance of iPads on sets -- there must have been at least a dozen being used by the production staff on a job I did this past week. I caught the DP using an app to determine exposure settings based on frame rate.

--Marc W.

You know what might have been nice: do the simulator as an iPhone/iPad app. I continue to be surprised by the wide acceptance of iPads on sets -- there must have been at least a dozen being used by the production staff on a job I did this past week. I caught the DP using an app to determine exposure settings based on frame rate.

--Marc W.

+1

That would be a great app!

do the simulator as an iPhone/iPad app

Here in France, Android has just passed the Iphone.

Simply do a website, readable on any smartphone.

Anyway that's a very good and pedagogical idea.

Thanks.

Edited by VM