Nomad Simulator Availability

glenn

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For mac users, please note that the app is running perfectly on mac using Crossover.

Hi Simon,

I just downloaded Crossover, but for some reason can't get it to open the Nomad simulator. It says something about not having a bottle. Do you (or anyone else) know what's going on?

Cheers,

Jason

Before opening the nomad .exe, open crossover, and in the file menu is should have a create bottle option. This is just a simulation of a windows hdd and can be any size you like. Then run the nomad.exe from inside that bottle. The help documentation explains this better than I can, there used to be a video on the website IARC.

Before opening the nomad .exe, open crossover, and in the file menu is should have a create bottle option. This is just a simulation of a windows hdd and can be any size you like. Then run the nomad.exe from inside that bottle. The help documentation explains this better than I can, there used to be a video on the website IARC.

Thanks SLJ. Christ, this crossover software must have been created by someone who owns a PC, otherwise it wouldn't be that hard...

" The help documentation explains this better than I can, "

Some folks have better things to do with their time than read documentation...

Indeed. If it were designed by Mac folk it would've just worked, the fact that I would even need to look at help documentation points to a poor product.

;)

Now, I have better things to do, such as sleep...

Seriously, The majority of the film industry is Mac. Why is this PeeCee only? The Alexa is web based HTML 5 and works on everything.

It's PC only because that is the easiest and most direct translation, for Zaxcom, to put up any sort of screens or simulators for any opf their products. I believe that all of Howy's programming is much closer to Windows OS architecture than Mac OS. Zaxcom doesn't have anyone "in house" that I know of who could write this thing as a Mac compatible program, and there is no one on staff that could do a web page to present the simulator.

Well, that's normal: macs are so perfect they can even run XP* with Parallels or Bootcamp but PCs are so ''horrible'' that they can't run any of the Mac's OS... so it's normal to develop for PC only since you can reach everybody this way. ;D:P

* that even gives some reason to justify the occasionnal crash (uh, excuse me: ''strange/unexplainable/fellfromthegalaxy probelm'' : ''I was running ''baaad'' XP then later in the afternoon my Mac crashed'' heehee

there are quite a bunch of people running Mac OS on PCs... google for Hackintosh.

Thanks Christian, didn't know about that.

But what program do these guys use it for in general ?

Final Cut would be a bad example to me with that type of setup (at that point, you buy a Mac).

That'd be the only app that comes to mind that's not accessible for a non-Mac user now...

It is used to run Mac OS, not just an application.

Final Cut would be a bad example to me with that type of setup (at that point, you buy a Mac).

That'd be the only app that comes to mind that's not accessible for a non-Mac user now...

I know a couple of folks that have made Hackintoshes, one did it to learn about both platforms and the other solely because it's forbidden by the Apple EULA. The second guy styles himself to be an anarchist, funny on many levels but mostly because he paid for the necessary supplies with money from his trust fund.

There are a couple of other applications that have some utility for us that are Mac-only, Boom Recorder and Metacorder. But like your example with Final Cut, at that point it probably makes more sense to run on Apple hardware.

Best regards,

Jim

My $.02,

Apple and microsoft both do some things very well, and others not so well,

OS X has never been a platform that is easy to develop programs for, ( I say this as a person who has done application development for both platforms).

In a situation in which one needs to develop and release an application quickly based on a code base that already exists (as I'm sure is the situation with zaxcom and its simulator), the windows platform is really the only option.

All that being said, I am still eagerly awaiting for my nomad to ship.

• 2 weeks later...

Cool software but I wish there was a manual to go along with it.

Yeah tell me about it. Downloaded the sim but I'm just aimlessly going through menus not really knowing what I'm doing. The sim seems pretty pointless without a manual to know what your doing. Especially on a unit that has as many routing options and menus as this does.

This might be a silly question but where is the record button on the Nomad? I'm assuming that it is the button that says TC. If it is does that mean the rec button is a secondary function? That seems crazy to me, to not have a dedicated record button on a recorder, but to have to shift-click a button to record. Not very convenient when you're holding a boom in one hand and you want to quickly fire off the record button to catch some unexpected gold from an actor. Could be a deal breaker for me. I'd rather the sensible layout of a 744t even if I do have to sacrifice some recording tracks. Or am I wrong about the rec button? Even so, if I'm buying a field recorder I want a big red button that says "rec" and I can smash it with my elbow if I don't have a hand free (thank you Sound Devices).

Ed

This might be a silly question but where is the record button on the Nomad? I'm assuming that it is the button that says TC. If it is does that mean the rec button is a secondary function? That seems crazy to me, to not have a dedicated record button on a recorder, but to have to shift-click a button to record. --- snip --- Could be a deal breaker for me. I'd rather the sensible layout of a 744t even if I do have to sacrifice some recording tracks. Or am I wrong about the rec button?

You are wrong about the record button. Read any of the other 7 or 8 posts here that talk about the record button, the safety feature of a shift-click option if you want it, etc. If the most important thing for you is a big red record button and you don't need a recorder with any more features than a 744T, then stick with the 744T. Comparing the feature set between Nomad and a 744T, and only considering the additional tracks of Nomad, is pretty ridiculous.