Final Cut X gets an update

cmgoodin

They released the first update to Final Cut X . Added a few features to makeup for all the ones they left out. However it still sounds like you have to jump through some hoops to transfer a project from FCP 7 to FCP X.

Here's a link to a story.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-27076_3-20108584-248/final-cut-pro-x-gets-first-big-update-and-a-free-trial/

Anyone downloaded the update and tested it yet?

I guess it depends on what you mean by Apple trying to make things right. My guess is this release doesn't have much or anything to do with public reaction to 1.0. Rather, I'd guess this release is just stuff they intended for the original release but didn't get finished. Considering the issues some other apps have had with XML, I think it's fine that Apple didn't release a crappy XML implementation with 1.0 and instead waited until they think they got it right. Besides, I'd guess that vast majority of their users don't import or export project data.

Still don't see how the current implementations of FCPX makes it something I'll use (or see used) on my work. I'd guess we'll have to wait until 1.5 or something before we have a sense of where Apple's really heading. But lots of the DSLR and lower crowd should be happy

I'll probably download the free trial version of FCPX 1.1 this weekend.

http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/trial/

• 1 year later...

News on the latest update to FinalCut Pro X:

Apple Updates Final Cut Pro X, Motion, and Compressor Alongside New Pro Marketing Push
Thursday March 28, 2013 10:39 am PDT by Eric Slivka
Alongside today's new marketing push to try to win back professional video editors, Apple has released updates for Final Cut Pro X, Motion, and Compressor. While Motion and Compressor have seen mostly minor tweaks and bug fixes, Final Cut Pro X has received a somewhat more substantial update including support for the new Sony XAVC codec up to 4K resolution. 

final_cut_pro_x_audi.jpg
Final Cut Pro [Mac App Store]

What's New in Version 10.0.8 

- Support for Sony XAVC codec up to 4K resolution 

- Option to display ProRes Log C files from ARRI ALEXA cameras with standard Rec. 709 color and contrast levels 

- Resolves an issue where some third-party effects generated green frames during render 

- Resolves performance issues that could occur with certain titles and effects 

- Time reversed clips render in the background 

- Ability to use key commands to adjust Clip Appearance settings in the timeline

- Ability to view reel number metadata located in the timecode track of video files 

- Mono audio files in a surround project export with correct volume levels 

- Drop zones no longer reset to the first frame of video after application restart

- Fixes a performance issue which resulted from selecting multiple ranges on a single clip 

- Fixes an issue where the Play Around function did not work properly on certain clips when viewed through external video devices

motionlogo-150x153.pngMotion [Mac App Store]

What's New in Version 5.0.7 

- Resolves an issue where some third-party effects generated green frames during render 

- Resolves performance issues that could occur with certain titles and effects 

- Fixes a stability issue when splitting layers in the timeline 

- Fixes an issue where launching a plug-in with a check box could require multiple clicks 

- Fixes a stability issue with CoreMelt plug-ins

compressor1.jpgCompressor [Mac App Store]

What's New in Version 4.0.7 

- Removes 1GB file size limit for uploads to Vimeo 

- Fixes a stability issue when playing back certain MPEG-2 files 

- Fixes a stability issue in Qmaster when processing multiple jobs

In addition to the updates for the core Final Cut apps, Apple has also released an updated set of ProApps QuickTime Codecs for Final Cut Pro X users.

" News on the latest update to FinalCut Pro X: "

are you saying that it is finally professional ?

and that the Biz will be adopting it ??

I'm not speculating on what the affect, if any, this update has on "professionals" using Final Cut Pro X. I was merely continuing to post information about software from Apple that has continued to invite controversy, speculation and predictions (as well as several other 4 letter words).

They're at least trying to get professionals to come back to Final Cut Pro again. Everybody I know has either stuck with Final Cut 7 (the old version), moved on to Avid (at the high end), or gone to Adobe Premiere (at the low end). I literally know zero people who are cutting with Final Cut Pro X. 

I just checked the official list, and it looks like Apple is again not exhibiting at NAB. This doesn't give me a lot of confidence in their commitment to pro audio/video users.

That's great that a picture editor's idea of a surround mix can now be exported with the individual channels at the correct levels.

Um....what about OMF?

philp

A picture editors temp mix.

The Bain of our existence in audio post.

"It didnt sound like that in the temp."

"Yeah. Because we are sick of hearing the same temp BG's, cardoor, Car buys and mono music.So we made it better"

"Use my temp"

A picture editors temp mix.

The Bain of our existence in audio post.

"It didnt sound like that in the temp."

"Yeah. Because we are sick of hearing the same temp BG's, cardoor, Car buys and mono music.So we made it better"

"Use my temp"

+1

Rarely use an editors sfx as it usually comes from a library that is old and has been encoded to a shite sounding mp3.

They're at least trying to get professionals to come back to Final Cut Pro again. Everybody I know has either stuck with Final Cut 7 (the old version), moved on to Avid (at the high end), or gone to Adobe Premiere (at the low end). I literally know zero people who are cutting with Final Cut Pro X. 

I just checked the official list, and it looks like Apple is again not exhibiting at NAB. This doesn't give me a lot of confidence in their commitment to pro audio/video users.

A new Tim Cook ?

"We are aware that a lack of communications...led to the perception that Apple is arrogant and doesn't care or attach enough importance to consumer feedback," Mr. Cook said, according to the letter. "We express our sincere apologies for any concerns or misunderstandings this gave consumers."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324020504578396491791478464.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_LEFTTopStories

It'll also be interesting to see what people are demoing on at NAB this year. I remember last year as we walked around we noticed that virtually nobody was running Final Cut X in their software demos. We were trying to decide what we were going to do with our in house production system since we had stuck with Final Cut 7 till that point. We changed software right after the show, and it wasn't to Final Cut X as a result. It seems like Apple is adding back the features that should have been there from the start, while other vendors are adding new features that really are "features."

I just had an telephone chat with a one-man-band "preditor" who referred to all the folks still using FCP 7 as "sticks in the mud" and "not with the times".  I then asked how he planned to export his project to me for the (rather complex) audio post he was calling me about.  He mumbled something about usually just sending out rendered QTs.  No thank you.  I'm waiting to see if he pops for X2Pro (and learns how to use it), I'm resisting the notion that doing the export (by having my own FCPX and X2Pro) is going to become my problem, esp  since they will definitely not pay me extra for this.   Maybe if this comes up again...but so far not.

philp

I started using FCP just over 10 years ago at version 1.2 and I was one of the many disappointed editors that felt betrayed by Apple after they released FCPX. However, after the first major update they fixed / added enough features that I decided to try it again. I must say that I'm almost completely satisfied as it is in its current state. There are a few areas that still need attention like audio export, but every update gets better. I've found that most feature people think they're missing ARE actually there. For instance DUAL viewers were added two version ago, but still people don't know. Initially not having dual views were a deal killer for me, but after editing without them and getting use to the new style I found myself not using it when they finally added it.

Anyway, I forced myself to edit one project and unlearn the FCP7 and try out the "new" style and now I couldn't be happier. FCP7 feels antiquated when I need to use it, definitely a WHOLE lot slower.  "Professional" can be a relative term. I and use it professionally and so do a lot of people I know.  

• 2 weeks later...

I just had an telephone chat with a one-man-band "preditor" who referred to all the folks still using FCP 7 as "sticks in the mud" and "not with the times".  I then asked how he planned to export his project to me for the (rather complex) audio post he was calling me about.  He mumbled something about usually just sending out rendered QTs.  No thank you.  I'm waiting to see if he pops for X2Pro (and learns how to use it), I'm resisting the notion that doing the export (by having my own FCPX and X2Pro) is going to become my problem, esp  since they will definitely not pay me extra for this.   Maybe if this comes up again...but so far not.

philp

It's hard to believe how far we've come, yet we're still faced with the primitive and sometimes exhausting delima of trying to get an editor to drag out handles and organize the tracks in a somewhat sensible way and somehow still manage to render out these "tracks" with the same in and out point as the QT....  How hard could it be for Apple to do what they've already been doing for years and support OMFs?

Well, I just did a job in one of the many tentacles of video production at Apple, and this particular dept. had at least 8 edit rooms, all running you-know-what...

philp

You'll notice that a few of those rooms will have Autodesk Smoke and/or Flame workstations as well. THAT that they definitely don't want to advertise. How do I know? I worked for Autodesk M&E support.