"these people are on the cutting edge of something..."

Coleman

I start a show on Monday, TV PILOT.  They have a "capture van", filled with computers, that will record all the image and audio.  2 Grass Valley cameras ( that record nothing, all info goes to the "capture Van") are connected to a DIT, and this "capture van".  They have 17 CAST MEMBERS. 

I am sending 8 tracks digital audio to the truck, time code back to me,  and 2 video back to me as well.  All on cat two (2) 5 cable.  I was told " BE READY TO MOVE QUICK, WE ARE GOING TO RUN AND GUN"  I think these morons are going to shoot "wide and tight", because the producer who hired me will not say they are not.

Coleman

Wide + Tight = ADR

Let's shoot the Blocking is the new quality

I want my ma ma

Hello Jeff,

I am also designing one of these new-fangled cameras where you could use your apple MacBook Pro to record heigh resolution and bit depth raw sensor data from a industrial camera.

It can be tethered with fiber, fiber can be rather long and rugged if you use military grade fiber optic cable. You can run with it, just don't trip over the cable.

Cheers,

Take

Hey Coleman, do you get to sit in the van too? Cool. Maybe you'll wake up and...."Thank God! It was all just a terrible, terrible dream!". Try slipping Valium into the brain trust's coffee every now and then. These people sound like spider monkeys on crack. My condolences.

Chris Newton

I start a show on Monday, TV PILOT.  They have a "capture van", filled with computers, that will record all the image and audio.  2 Grass Valley cameras ( that record nothing, all info goes to the "capture Van") are connected to a DIT, and this "capture van".  They have 17 CAST MEMBERS. 

I am sending 8 tracks digital audio to the truck, time code back to me,  and 2 video back to me as well.  All on cat two (2) 5 cable.  I was told " BE READY TO MOVE QUICK, WE ARE GOING TO RUN AND GUN"  I think these morons are going to shoot "wide and tight", because the producer who hired me will not say they are not.

Coleman

Wide + Tight = ADR

Let's shoot the Blocking is the new quality

I want my ma ma

These are 20 something "producers?" I'm reminded of the old saying: "Blessed are they who run around in circles, for they shall be known as big wheels". Good luck on the job.

Eric

I think "wide and tight" is the least of your worries since undoubtedly they will have mumbling model-type pseudo-actors and hundreds of concerned parties on Comteks. But since (I assume) you will be working off your normal "capture cart", you'll likely be ready to go long before this idiot van is parked, powered and cabled up.  Are you recording on anything yourself, or is it all being "captured" by the van?  I bet they change their minds about this "capture" method pretty quick unless this is an all-stage shoot.  Have they put on some cable runners for this DIT?  Are there assistant camera people?  Whose problem is all this CAT5 and camera cable running hundreds of feet to the van?  Who powers up the van?  From where?  Are you monitoring all those returns from the decks, or is the DIT  (16 ch. of monitor--yow!)?  And speaking of sound reports...

Philip Perkins

I will be at my "capture cart", recording on my DEVA with MX-12.  We have 2 pratical

locations, and 2 on a back lot.  Have they put on some cable runners for this DIT?  Are there

assistant camera people?  Whose problem is all this CAT5 and camera cable running hundreds

of feet to the van?  well .....  I will let you know, as they are inventing this as they go along, HA HA.  I am not monitoring shit from the van.

Oh, it seems they want everyone wired for the "ISO Tracks".  I told them to just not shoot wide and tight, and we would not need all this ... 

Oh, by the way, Glenn Sanders helped personaly with the tech help on this with the "capture van", people.  I am very thankful for this.

Coleman

• 4 weeks later...

So,

My pilot is over, and I only have good things to report.  The DP

shot "coverage/coverage" 99.9% of the time.  The "capture van",

was just like any old dodge or Chevy type van, but I was only

hooked up with 2 CAT 5 cables.  One cable sent 8 tracks of

digital audio to the "capture van", and one cable received 2

video feeds, and time code.  Everyone involved was top notch,

smart, and had a great attitude.  With the wrong people, this

could have gone down hill fast.

Now, this "capture van", would turn in, at the end of the day,  a

HARD DRIVE filed with all the images (2 cameras), and all the

audio.  So...  They say telicini is dead soon...  I will believe it

when I see it.  But, it worked flawlessly on my pilot , so... look

out.

On the tech side, you can send digital audio (8 tracks) down a

CAT 5 cable with no type of interface needed.  These

"GRASSVALLEY" / "VIPER TYPE CAMERAS" have a few

frame delay that made it impossible to cue using the monitors.

Also, I have been using a  Sennheiser SK500G2 Transmitter to talk

back to my boom operators during the shot.  They are wearing 

300-IEM  Wireless In Ear Monitor System receivers.  It works great.

Hope all is well, Coleman

VERIFIED VOTING IS FREEDOM, WHO IS AGAINST IT?

Hey Coleman,

I'm glad it all worked out for you. It's a good thing Sandman (my pet name for Glenn Sanders), was able to put in his two cents. I don't think enough people realize how helpful and supportive he is, as well as a wildly imaginative and brilliant thinker in terms of production audio.

-Dave

So,

My pilot is over, and I only have good things to report.  The DP

shot "coverage/coverage" 99.9% of the time.  The "capture van",

was just like any old dodge or Chevy type van, but I was only

hooked up with 2 CAT 5 cables.  One cable sent 8 tracks of

digital audio to the "capture van", and one cable received 2

video feeds, and time code.  Everyone involved was top notch,

smart, and had a great attitude.  With the wrong people, this

could have gone down hill fast.

Now, this "capture van", would turn in, at the end of the day,  a

HARD DRIVE filed with all the images (2 cameras), and all the

audio.  So...  They say telicini is dead soon...  I will believe it

when I see it.  But, it worked flawlessly on my pilot , so... look

out.

On the tech side, you can send digital audio (8 tracks) down a

CAT 5 cable with no type of interface needed.  These

"GRASSVALLEY" / "VIPER TYPE CAMERAS" have a few

frame delay that made it impossible to cue using the monitors.

Also, I have been using a  Sennheiser SK500G2 Transmitter to talk

back to my boom operators during the shot.  They are wearing 

300-IEM  Wireless In Ear Monitor System receivers.  It works great.

Hope all is well, Coleman

VERIFIED VOTING IS FREEDOM, WHO IS AGAINST IT?

So what about record monitoriing?  No returns?  Did you roll a backup?  Was the

guy in the van monitoring?  Did they ever do playbacks?  Tail checks?

thanks

Philip Perkins

Guest Jeff Colon

This sounds like the perfect place for Zax's recording transmitters... but then, the the "cutting edge" might be the cutting of my job... which aside from a lack of paycheck wouldna be such a bad thing from the sounds of this???

Jeff

"So what about record monitoriing?  No returns?  Did you roll a backup?  Was the

guy in the van monitoring?  Did they ever do playbacks?  Tail checks?"

No, No, I did a back up on my deva V.  Yes, the "Love Buick" (the van ) was monitoring.  They used all the production audio, and there was no ADR. 

Coleman

"So what about record monitoriing?  No returns?  Did you roll a backup?  Was the

guy in the van monitoring?  Did they ever do playbacks?  Tail checks?"

No, No, I did a back up on my deva V.  Yes, the "Love Buick" (the van ) was monitoring.  They used all the production audio, and there was no ADR. 

Coleman

Did they use it off your Deva tracks or off the video?  Were you monitoring the returns from the video recorders?

Philip Perkins

"Did they use it off your Deva tracks or off the video?  Were you monitoring the returns from the video recorders?"

Hi !

They used all the audio from the computers.  I did not do any audio monitoring from the computers, the computer tech guys just listened in the van.  Trying to use the camera images they feed me was hard because of the delay.

Coleman

"Did they use it off your Deva tracks or off the video?  Were you monitoring the returns from the video recorders?"

Hi !

They used all the audio from the computers.  I did not do any audio monitoring from the computers, the computer tech guys just listened in the van.  Trying to use the camera images they feed me was hard because of the delay.

Coleman

Was the delay several frames or longer?  Were the monitors that the DP and director etc watched just as delayed?  Sorry for so many questions, but I think this prod method may be about to fall on me.

thanks

Philip Perkins

"Was the delay several frames or longer?  Were the monitors that the DP and director etc watched just as delayed?  "

Yes, the delay was a few frames, and it made it seem as thought the actors were talking backwards, ha ha.  The DP / Client monitors were delayed as well.  We have to find a way to figure this out if it goes to a series. 

Glad to answer any questions!

Coleman

Oh, by the way, I did not do any audio monitoring from the computers, as I thought

"I am not getting paid to manage the computers".  If they want to pay me more to do more, OK.  I mean, the guy in the van that built the system had a degree in physics, so... oh..  I am not very smart, but I can lift heavy things.

Coleman

VERIFIED VOTING IS FREEDOM

Oh, by the way, I did not do any audio monitoring from the computers, as I thought

"I am not getting paid to manage the computers".  If they want to pay me more to do more, OK.  I mean, the guy in the van that built the system had a degree in physics, so... oh..  I am not very smart, but I can lift heavy things.

Coleman

I agree that bringing back however many monitor feeds to you would be time consuming and involve more gear on your cart--I guess you have to trust that your computer dude knows what good sound sounds like, and that HE has a monitor system to hear all the tracks being layed down.

Philip Perkins

Yeah, they had all kinds of monitoring equipment.  He ( well, there were 3 of them in there, ha

ha) , could listen to the mix down track, or the ISO’s.   

One thing to note, my "pre fader outs", when not being used, (like when you move into coverage, and the actor may have wondered off set) , still go to the computer......even when I am not using it on my multi track.    Well, I found out that I have to also turn down the master gain knob, on each channel not being used, so NO AUDIO is " pre faded out" ...  to the computer.  Good for you to know before you go.

Coleman