Aaton Penelope Delta

Hiya guys n gals!

I've been following the development of the Aaton Penelope Delta, a 35 mm film camera. Why? Well, it's going to get a digital mag. That means it's a hybrid! It goes from film to digital and vice versa.

EDIT:

It would seem they've rethought the camera and just made it into one single digital camera. :/ Sad IMHO. Would've been cool to have that ability. Can't have everything I guess. Interesting camera anyhow!

BUT:

Another really interesting thing is that Aaton also makes the great recorder Cantar-X, and I've read in the Penelope manual that there could be some sort of link between or something like that.. Anyway it should (hopefully) mean that they are ACTUALLY thinking about audio and the connection between the departments. Would be nice to see Aaton build lights as well...

Specs here:

http://www.aaton.com...delta/index.php

I'm wagging my tail :)

Cost more then F65 , does less then EPIC - 50 pieces "France wide"?

Senator ,what do you mean by saying " Real optics in front ", as I see it doesn't have any optics IN FRONT .

On my last job , the Red didnt arrive with any optics , someone brought the Master primes to snick the light in :-)

MS

Its good that you cover your ignorance by editing your own posts :-)

Dear senator , what gate are you talking about , the one which doesn't exist in that model? :-)

do you know why do you need mechanical shater in digital camera or if you need one , when do you use it , and why is the Epic doesn't need one , or why the F-65 YOU CAN BUY , WITH OR WITH OUT.

Real camera optics in front - where in front ..?... hahhahhahahha.

I

MS

Perhaps 3 perf and 4 perf?

2 and 3 , 2 perforation for tv work , to get more film resolution then super 16 for 1/3 less money for film stock then 3 perf, or for CinemaScope shoot with anamorphics without money - aka , look at the Sergio Leone films from 60/70 .

most of the cameras could go 3 and 4 , only few could make it 2 perf.

MS

Cost more then F65 , does less then EPIC - 50 pieces "France wide"?

Senator ,what do you mean by saying " Real optics in front ", as I see it doesn't have any optics IN FRONT .

On my last job , the Red didnt arrive with any optics , someone brought the Master primes to snick the light in :-)

MS

Might cost more than F65, but.. does less than Epic? Can epic roll film? :S

EDIT:

Oh Hmmm... It looks like they might have taken the ability to convert into film camera away... That was the first model though, the Penelope would just have a digital magazine that shot raw and prores..

Still though, it doesn't seem THAT different to Epic.. Please elaborate.

EDIT:

Oh Hmmm... It looks like they might have taken the ability to convert into film camera away... That was the first model though, the Penelope would just have a digital magazine that shot raw and prores..

Good edit , finally you got it as Aaton probably discovered it in pre orders in the last NAB the film is dead so is the Penelope :-)

And Senator , the only optics there is the mirror as it has optical vuefinder for some people who is in your age and cant live without , even Arri show same in Alexa , never sow one on shoot ( sow on arri show) and have doubt i ever will ,as noone relay likes waist 20000 euro for , on digital camera :-)

you need film camera , i can sell you the 535 for 10 grand , with magazines , extension piece and batteries ,do you like one ?;-)

MS

Good edit , finally you got it as Aaton probably discovered it in pre orders in the last NAB the film is dead so is the Penelope :-)

Yeah must've been living on the dream before NAB. :) That was a cool feat.

But, I don't think film is dead.. Not in USA as it seems (please correct me if I'm mistaken). In Europe though, and I would presume Aaton is more Europe-targeted, digital is bigger because of the prizes. In Sweden, we don't even have a film lab anymore.

Faster then was predicted?;-)- in 2002, i thought i will take 5 years for total turn over of 99 % of the production , it took 10 ..

The last 1% will survive till the next earth quick in LA aria :-)

And Simon - there is nothing in common between digital projection and using celluloid for shoot , as about 99.9% of the color correction made in digital domain these days , so even you shoot on film , the master for Jpeg 2000 or inter negative for film copies comes from the digital .

In Macedonia , we still have allot of celluloid projectors due to projectors and Jpeg hardware price which cinema owners need to invest from their pockets . other wise Jpeg 200 digital copy cost 100-150 euro to made while fllm cost you 1300, not to mention the shipping.

MS

Faster then was predicted?;-)- in 2002, i thought i will take 5 years for total turn over of 99 % of the production , it took 10 ..

The last 1% will survive till the next earth quick in LA aria :-)...

Yeah, a high-up Kodak exec tried to convince me in 2004 that they were going to do great for at least the next 15-20 years. They were certain that the transition to all digital was going to take a long time. I think the downturn in the economy was a major factor that changed this.

--Marc W.