Sony NEX-7

So everyone is listing off high end cine cameras, thought I would share my excitement for a "lil" camera on the other end of the spectrum, not so much for professional use, but something I'm looking forward to myself... kiddie home movies, vacation snapshots, and some enthusiasts photo opportunities...

The Sony NEX-7 is an APS-C sized miniature interchangeable lens DSLR-like performer.

24MP sensor (too much I think)

seems to have good dynamic range and ok noise at normal ISO settings

limited lenses, but lots of adapters available. One of the e mount lens options looks like an "OK" performing 24mm f1.8 Zeiss branded prime.

Has an electronic viewfinder!

Assignable digital dials, not quite as good as full manual controls, likely some user interface lag and requires one to look at the LCD or viewfinder as one makes adjustments.

AVCHD (yuck - but ok for hobby use) profile actually supports 24/25/30/50/60 fps (depending on video region) and higher bitrate settings and it does even have a stereo line input, but we'll have to see how capable or not its sound abilities are.

I was really interested in the micro 4/3 products for awhile now, but not a single camera has been released that excited me. This one does, and even though Panasonic is threatening to release a new high end model, I feel too little too late and I think their time has passed. Sony, whether by accident or purpose, seems to have hit the nail on the head with necessary features and honestly, probably surpasses my performance needs as a hobbyist user.

Sony-NEX-7-24mm-Zeiss.png

I think that there is a good chance that I will see this on the jobsite too... maybe not you guys who work on bigger features, but for us that do some TV and webisode type stuff, will probably supplant a few 5D's... or maybe its bigger brother, the A77 (although with the semi-translucent mirror, the NEX-7 should actually perform better). Zeiss offers E mount for their CP Compact Primes too, for those who want to get serious.

The new Sony NEX cameras are amazing. I love the NEX-7's compactness, interchangeable lens capability, big sensor and electronic view finder. The thing that keeps me from salivating is the flip-up display. One thing that I use a lot when I shoot is flipping the display out to the side of the camera and swiviling it forward, so you can stand in front of the camera and see the LCD to the side. This way you can have a light mounted on top of the cam, and still see the frame of your shot off to the side.

I have a Panasonic GH2, and I'm just really happy with it. I loaded the GH2vk hack on it recently, and I'm shooting 66mb high-def video. I've got a little collection of Canon FD lenses that I bought really inexpensively on eBay, and they capture amazing images on the GH2. I still can't believe I have a camera the shoots such nice footage! These are amazing times.

However, an NEX-7 and a little pancake lens would be a super sweet little pocket cam...

Gh2 hacked or unhacked is a lot sharper and resolves more resolution then any other DSLR camera on the market. It even performs better then AF100. http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/1030/gh2-versus-arri-alexa-and-f3-real-world-testing Did not read it yet.

I also own a GH-2 (un-hacked version) and I think the camera's image quality and usable features are superb! I've paired it with a soon-to-be Duclos converted Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8, Zacuto follow focus, baseplate/rods and Cavision matte box. Incredible technology and creativity at your fingertips... and, of course, double-system sound, baby!