custom labels for deliverables

Jeff Wexler

Nice that you are "sharing billing" w/ Mr. Coufal.

Philip Perkins

We are really a team, as you know, but Don's inclusion even on the label carries some responsibility as well. We have worked together for over 30 years now and I have always strived to work together as equals (obviously, each of us with our own particular strengths and weaknesses --- well, Don may not fess up to the weaknesses, but hey). Putting Don's name on the delivery label not only recognizes that we are a team, it puts both of us out there as responsible for the production sound track, the good stuff as well problems should they arise. So, maybe the post facility might call Don at midnight instead of me...

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

Nice Jeff.

Same sort of deal for me.  Polyline case with this label.  I use the cases that have 2 DVD holders.  The production company I work for requests a back-up DVD for Telecine purposes.  They would rather try two DVD's in the middle of the night than pick up the phone.

post-23-13081507352_thumb.jpg

Good looking label, Phil...  great minds think alike (at the very least we both have the label thing down). The ProLine DVD cases I use have the "no spindle" safety holding tabs that hold several DVD's (case is still the same width as a standard Movie DVD case) but I usually only send 1 DVD in for the day. I rely on telecine to transfer just Track 1 as per my instruction and then the same DVD goes off to sound editorial to have access to any and all additional tracks. I do not send any backup or backup disk to telecine (maybe my confidence is too high but so far I have not had any "problem calls" from the facility). I just wrapped "Rush Hour 3" which was 110 days shooting (yikes!) so about 110 disks ("sound rolls") with no incidents.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

<i>"...Also, do you put a label on the DVD itself (in case it should get separated from its home)?"</i>

From my personal experience, I strongly advise against putting any stick-on labels on a DVD.  Maybe a DVD-RAM is more robust in this regard but I learned the hard way that DVD-Rs don't like them. 

Early on in my DVD history I did paper labels.  Two different disks that behaved  well when I made them quit working properly after a few months.  Having heard that stick-on labels could be a problem, I ripped the labels off (not an easy task -- that's tenacious adhesive) and they both once again played fine (although now they looked like crap).  I haven't used paper labels since.

There are some inexpensive printers available that will print on DVDs.  A couple of years ago I bought an Epson R200 for about a hundred bucks that does a fine job (they make their money on the ink).  Also, there are new DVD blanks that are supposed to be more durable ink-wise, although I don't know if they're available in a DVD-RAM version.

When I don't have the time or facilities to print labels, I just use Sharpies.  To my knowledge, I haven't had any problem with DVDs because they were labeled with Sharpies.

John Blankenship, C.A.S.

Indianapolis (Super Bowl Champions!)

RAMSAY Wrote:

"Noticed you are both running a -20 ref. tone. I usually check in with Post for settings before every show and I've always used -18. Any comments?"

-----------

I believe that -18dB is now largely "Old School" for North American Film Production.

Original EBU digital standard was -18dB

SMPTE standard is -20dB

I switched from -18 to -20 many years ago.  Although to be perfectly honest, it was long enough ago that I can no longer recall the exact source of the information that caused me to switch.

Who are you checking with?  Telecine, or?

RAMSAY Wrote:

"Noticed you are both running a -20 ref. tone. I usually check in with Post for settings before every show and I've always used -18. Any comments?"

----------

Found the standards in the AES's AES-2id-2006 document:

EBU R68 defines alignment level as -18dB FS

SMPTE RP155 defines Reference Digital (alignment level) as -20dB FS

The AES-2id-2006 document then goes on to state that the EBU -18dB sandard is used in Europe, while the SMPTE -20dB standard is used in North America.  And that in countries outside of Europe or North America, there may be other standards but that one of these two standards is normally used.

<i>"...Also, do you put a label on the DVD itself (in case it should get separated from its home)?"</i>

From my personal experience, I strongly advise against putting any stick-on labels on a DVD.

John Blankenship, C.A.S.

I think it is a very poor idea to stick anything on the surface of any optical disk. Multiple problems can and do occur and I strongly recommend against it. My procedure is to put nothing on the disk until it is "done" and ready to be turned in --- I don't even hand write anything until it is out of the machine and ready to be turned in. In the past I used to put small hand written (Sharpie) notation on the surface of the disk but with so many of the optical drives being the slot-loading type I have stopped this. The first time I noticed ink residue on the felt surround of the drive slot I abandoned labeling the disk before use.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

Jeff wrote:  I do not send any backup or backup disk to telecine (maybe my confidence is too high but so far I have not had any "problem calls" from the facility). I just wrapped "Rush Hour 3" which was 110 days shooting (yikes!) so about 110 disks ("sound rolls") with no incidents.

Something to be aware of...  I too had many, many disks this past season of Jericho.  We had 170 days of shooting, and when we went late...we broke off and I sent in 2 disks for the day.  On one occaision, the telecine operator went to my backup disk because the DV40 did not show that I had a file for a certain take.  It was however on the backup disk.  I found that to be odd, as I roll both with a RollLogic unit...but the DEVA has a pre-roll of 7 seconds, and the 702T is set to none.  For this reason...  If you hit stop and start within the 7 seconds of preroll, you will have the same time code at the end of one file as you do at the beginning of the next.  When the DV-40 is in List Play mode...the favorite mode for telecine operators...it will not see the file that has overlapping code.  It will show as NO AUDIO on the display, as it is looking for the next file up.  If you exit out of List Play...the file is present.  They sent out an email to all the responsible parties that there was "no master audio" for that particular take, which they later recounted.  I asked them to call me first from that point on.  Kind of hard to put out that fire.

Ironically, the List Play mode treats our disk in a "linear" fashon.  I think that's kind of funny.

And yes...I too write on my disks after recording.  The Sharpie tends to gum up things if you put them in right away.  Labels make the DVD's wobble...they'll think your disk is junk.

~PWP

When the DV-40 is in List Play mode...the favorite mode for telecine operators...it will not see the file that has overlapping code.  It will show as NO AUDIO on the display, as it is looking for the next file up.  If you exit out of List Play...the file is present.

We tell our dailies guys at Technicolor/Hollywood, if a file appears to not be on the DVD, get out of List Play mode and just advance to the file manually. 99% of the time, it's just a timecode conflict (exactly as you describe), and the file can play back correctly. The only problem is, if the sound mixer didn't provide enough preroll prior to the slate, that causes a lot of trouble, since the machine can't physically "play" before the start of a take in the regular playback mode.

Same thing with a situation where the audio TC goes from 23:59:00:00 to past midnight (00:00:00:00). The Fostex DV-40's or DV-824's will stop dead when this happens. You can either switch the playback machine to "midnight mode" (under the TC menu) or just do what I do, which is play it back manually.

BTW, I think the best way to handle disc labelling is just to use Inket Printable DVD-R's (or DVD-RAMs), printing the name of the show, track format, and so on, and then hand write just the date and roll number. I personally prefer the DVD-RAM disks in the caddies (with a small label on the outside), but the regular DVD-R's work fine, too.

I use the DV824 and 744T.  Sometimes I write on the disk before and sometimes after.  So far I haven't had issues.  But after reading this, I'll probably stick to after.  But I agree that stickers are BAD news.  Typically I just write the show name, roll number, and date on the disk.  All other information is on the label on the case.

As far as telecine issues... with the 744T I burn a DVD-R at the end of the day.  The files burn in alphabetical order, not time created or timecode order.  This caused some issue a couple of years ago with the typical settings on the DV40 playing the files in the order on the disk, but I haven't had any complaints in recent history.

I don't have timecode overlap issues.  In pre-roll mode on both machines I own, they do not allow you to record overlapping timecode.  The DV824 makes you wait after hitting stop before recording again (a pain sometimes), and the 744T will abbreviate the pre-roll on the next take to prevent the overlap.

Hey everyone,

I have never thought it was a good to put a label on a DVD RAM and I wanted to do something other than a sharpie. I found last year a small DVD/CD printer made by Casio. It is very simular to a P-Touch. You put your disc in and it prints the info in ink. You can load logos from your computer to print on the disk also. It is only black ink but it works well. My utility has the info saved and just changes the roll number and date at the start of the day and brings me the disk already labeled. I have used it on four films and over 200 disk with no problems. It is just ink no label. The model number is CW-75. I think there are several other models. It works as a stand alone you do not need a computer to use it.

Whit Norris

Whit,

Thanks for the tip.  I just checked out the CW75 online and it looks promising.

It is a thermal printer and, according to the Casio web site, has five different color ribbons available (red, blue, green, silver or black).

Info at:

http://www.casio.com/products/Label_%26_Disk_Title_Printers/Disk_Title_Printers/CW-75/content/Technical_Specs/

Does anyone have suggestions for a nice portable printer for printing sound reports done on computer?

JB

I have an HP Deskjet 450 that's been working great.  It has a rechargeable battery that lasts for about a week of sound report printing.  The ink capacity seems really good too.  It also has a bluetooth option, but I haven't been able to make it work with my Mac.

Brandon

Does anyone have suggestions for a nice portable printer for printing sound reports done on computer?

Years ago when I was on a movie in Miami I had the misfortune to have my Nagra tape and the box in which it was contained, become separated before the transfer, and post had no way to identify it other than threading it on a deck and playing it. They loved me.  Needless to say from that day hence I have written in sharpie on every 1/4", DAT, CD and DVD that has ever left my hands and will continue to do so. I don't think that I'll cause any problems for the Deva by doing this but I am cognizant of the potential for minor glitches if the ink happens to come off during some part of the transfer process. So far so good though.

I'd love to come up with some classy labels like Jeff and Phillip use but the LA Times crossword just requires so much of my time...

Regards

Mick

You guys on bigger/longer shows recording to multitrack--how much traction have you gotten with the idea of your computer generated reports getting sent in as PDFs, rather than printing them out?  Or do you do both anyway?

The only problem with that is that we still work with a printed copy for telecine dailies. If the PDF is on the audio disk, we'd have to eject it from the Fostex DVD drive, put it in a conventional computer, pull up the file, print it out, then return it to the Fostex drive.

On the other hand: Technicolor has an entire department devoted to logging the audio disks that come in for telecine, so we have "clap logs" already. But I like having the mixer's own notes, just in case we have to deal with something non-standard (unusual track assignments, operating levels, etc.).

--Marc W.