MovieSlate report from a user

To continue my last question:

Just talked with my friend who is very Mac tech savy, and he said that a bluetooth transfer to my phone is unlikely (mac protocalls)... how about creating a personal network via a wifi hotspot. It wouldn't be connected to the internet, but could it be used as a network to allow file sharing between ipad and other phones? ...or any other thoughts on how to get it to my phone when there's no wifi? I don't want to drag the ipad away from the set when there is no wifi to upload at home... if I am counting on it for my day to day operation.

Our typical production setup has a wifi access point at the honey waggon, but that is usually not close to the set, and I don't want to add a trip there to my end of day duties...

Thanks,

scott

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scott,

You can increment any field by a finger swipe upwards or to decrement, swipe downwards. You can also edit these fields by tapping on them and a "keypad" will appear. So you can edit the information at any time -- I do this regularly. You can also edit the log in the History section at any time.

I personally am not using bluetooth to link my data either to a phone or another computer. I use wifi - and I purchased a Cradlepoint PHS300 3G/4G Personal WiFi Hotspot -- about the size of a cigarette pack that operates either on it's own Li battery or ac.

post-273-0-01695800-1328836993.jpg

I use my own USB stick modem (Sprint in my case) to go online when there is no company provided WiFi. http://www.newegg.co..._-pla-_-NA-_-NA

However more and more companies have their own closed setup with the producers and AD's and I'm sure you can get access for your use of sending out the logs at breaks.

If you look back at my earlier posts you will see screenshots of the process to change data.

I day played on a show this week. i had never used Movie Slate before, and hadn't really used an iPad before either. But the mixer I was filling in for had started the show with Movie Slate and an iPad, post production was loving it, and before lunch I was using it and had no need for hand written sound reports. Very cool looking sound reports were in the inboxes of all concerned before they even had the CF card. It's almost enough to make one come out of semiretirement.

GT

Scott - Watch yourself (and your bill) with that portable hotspot function. Jailbroken iphones aren't always subject to this, but lots of other devices will "phone home" to the carrier and alert them that you are using the device in this manner, whether or not you are sending any data to the network / internet. If they don't like it (and AT&T doesn't) then you can bet your bill will have a nice little upcharge for tethering data usage.

FWIW, I believe T-Mobile is the only one that isn't doing this upcharge for tethering. On my own account, I know T-Mo isn't doing it b/c my iphone is jailbroken and the tethering apps don't report.

I day played on a show this week. i had never used Movie Slate before, and hadn't really used an iPad before either. But the mixer I was filling in for had started the show with Movie Slate and an iPad, post production was loving it, and before lunch I was using it and had no need for hand written sound reports. Very cool looking sound reports were in the inboxes of all concerned before they even had the CF card. It's almost enough to make one come out of semiretirement.

GT

Thus far, everyone who has seen my reports has been going gaga over them too. This really is a great application, wait until you start customizing the "text snippets" so that you can make your standard notes even faster. I've got a whole list of stuff, with commas at the end of each item so I just click on each one right after another to make my notes. Appears in the list like so:

wind, traffic, plane, director noise, good, bad, etc, etc, etc... :D Really fast for making it clear what post can expect in there.

I love it, I've even set myself up with a clamp for the ipad to sit on the top of my bag, so even while run-and-gun I can make my notes. (Note, I'm not booming at the same time, I'm not that good!)

Thanks for the warning Jim! I have TMobile as well, and I read some forums for Tmobile and my phone (My Touch 4G), that suggest I won't be charged. I did a little test last night, and the data usage seems extremely small. Just turn hot spot on for a couple of seconds to send the report, and then turn it off again... We'll see what happens...

I bought MovieSlate last night and fiddle with it a bit. A couple of things I could use some clearification on:

First, it seems the only way to create an "event" in the history, and thus the report, is to click roll and then cut. Richard, I read all of the previous posts, and I didn't catch where this was addressed. I see how easy it is to advance all the info for the next "event", but no way to commit that take to the history/report without "rolling". If there is a way to do this, please help me out... Not a big deal, just curious.

Second, I deselected a bunch of items in the "Shot Log History" of settings, and report is set to "sound report". Most of the unselected items are still showing in the generated report... in particular, I don't want TC on the report because I don't intend on trying to roll and cut in sync with the takes to generate each "event" in the report, so my TC will not even be close to correct. Am I missing something, or is TC always included in the report no matter what?

This program seems really great, and I intend to push the digital reports on my episodic that starts in March.

Thanks for your help!

scott

Scott,

Correct, the "Roll Sound"/"Cut" button is what enters the data into your History. The "Sound Dept" slate is where all the necessary data is entered in the fields you require.

In my cart set up, I first hit the "Roll Sound" button on the iPad then roll my Deva and BoomRecorder. Doing the reverse on cut.

If I missed a slate change or rolled the recorders without running MovieSlate, I'd just quickly roll and cut MovieSlate and then edit the data in History, often before the next take.

You can choose what data is entered on your Sound Report in the Settings, "Shot Log History", "Report Contents". Here you can check or uncheck what data fields are part of your report.

I experimented with differant Report formats, and I think most of us have settled on "Sound Report". I emailed them to myself, opened them up, tried printing them etc.

FYI You can get the "Production logo graphic" onto your sound report too.

That is in the "Movie*Slate "home" screen. I first enter the Director and DP info then you can slide to another screen where you can place the graphic from your iPad Photo library. Just press on that area until the menu appears.

post-273-0-61164700-1328905081.jpg

The Settings area is filled with many sub menus and it is worth the time to go through it looking at each group as well as what you can enable in each part of that group's sub-section.

The Help menu is also very informative. But mostly it's trial and error, see what works for you, but you can always change it to suit the project you are on.

Thanks for the excellent post, Richard. A couple of comments...

In my cart set up, I first hit the "Roll Sound" button on the iPad then roll my Deva and BoomRecorder. Doing the reverse on cut.
In the next version of the app, we're also introducing a new "Log Only Mode". If timecode is not important to your workflow, you can use this mode to simply enter all your shot meta data, then tap a single "Log Shot" button to save it to MovieSlate's History. Since timecode does not get recorded in this mode, it doesn't matter when you log the shot when the take starts or ends.

You can choose what data is entered on your Sound Report in the Settings, "Shot Log History", "Report Contents". Here you can check or uncheck what data fields are part of your report.
Just to clarify: that setting only affects plain text, CSV, and regular HTML reports. Those field settings have no affect on the Sound Report.

Cliff, will that "log only mode" be able to be switched into and out of as needed?

I frequently have a shot (or several) over the course of a project where the sound reports weren't rolled during the actual take, so I have to hit roll / cut and make my notes on a timecoded-shot record of only a few seconds. In these instances, the TC is useless for finding that shot, but the rest of the notes are what I'm doing this for, as they relate to the scene / take number which IS correct.

I'd love it if there was a TC switch of some sort that could hide / bypass the TC for those updating-after-the-fact situations, so in the report it would list everything EXCEPT the TC for just those shots, in recorded order with the ones that did have TC.

This makes sense in my head, LMK if it sounds confusing to you... I'm not in front of MovieSlate at the moment, going from my memory right now.

Cliff, will that "log only mode" be able to be switched into and out of as needed?
Yes, absolutely. It is just an option.

I'd love it if there was a TC switch of some sort that could hide / bypass the TC for those updating-after-the-fact situations, so in the report it would list everything EXCEPT the TC for just those shots, in recorded order with the ones that did have TC.
Yes, the new feature works as you described. And the timecode for those shots are blank in the Sound Report.

When I'm on my cart I just have my Timecode cable plugged into my iPhone all the time. It would be cool if I hit record on my fusion and movie slate would sense that and roll at the same time.
The closest thing we have to that now is for MovieSlate to recognize that the external timecode has started or stopped. MovieSlate's Settings > Timecode Syncing > Auto-Start/Auto-End Shots features do just that.

If the external timecode source is constantly running, then this mechanism does not work, of course. We'd need other some way for the external source to tell MovieSlate that the shot has started or stopped-- and that would likely require a change from recorder manufacturers (I'm not holding my breath on that one).

You know what would be sweet?

When I'm on my cart I just have my Timecode cable plugged into my iPhone all the time. It would be cool if I hit record on my fusion and movie slate would sense that and roll at the same time.

Just saying...

Justan

If you put the Fusion's timecode generator in the "timecode out" setting to "disk" it will only put out timecode when you roll. There is a setting in MovieSlate under the Timecode Syncing menu and turn on Auto-Start and Auto-End. That in theory should make it auto roll and cut when it sees the timecode start and stop.

Whit

When is the new update coming out?
Probably in about two weeks or so. We need one more week of beta testing, and it normally takes about a week to have apps approved after submission to the App Store.

Looking forward to meeting you the CAS Awards.
Likewise! We are so honored to be recognized in that way. We can't thank the community enough for the tremendous support you've given us.

Justan

If you put the Fusion's timecode generator in the "timecode out" setting to "disk" it will only put out timecode when you roll. There is a setting in MovieSlate under the Timecode Syncing menu and turn on Auto-Start and Auto-End. That in theory should make it auto roll and cut when it sees the timecode start and stop.

Whit

Badass.

Anybody with a 788 or 702T in front of them know if there is a similar TC feature on the SD line? It would be killer if it only broadcast TC to the ipad when it was actually recording, like on the Fusion. I like to leave it connected like Justan does, especially now that I figured out a way to get it to actually work.

Justan

Tried this with a friend's Deva and iPad running MovieSlate (I don't have a Zax recorder) and as much as we tried, we couldn't get it to do Disk output timecode and still have consistent control over Zaxnet devices (roll-stop-gain changes on TRX's). We also couldn't get it to do wireless replay with disk output TC, but that may have just been us missing something.

Tried this with a friend's Deva and iPad running MovieSlate (I don't have a Zax recorder) and as much as we tried, we couldn't get it to do Disk output timecode and still have consistent control over Zaxnet devices (roll-stop-gain changes on TRX's). We also couldn't get it to do wireless replay with disk output TC, but that may have just been us missing something.

Justan,

I am not running Zax Net so that is not a issue. That could cause some issues if you are running it. Do you need TC on your report. I do not. But I'm waiting for the updated App that I can turn off the TC.

Whit

Anybody with a 788 or 702T in front of them know if there is a similar TC feature on the SD line? It would be killer if it only broadcast TC to the ipad when it was actually recording, like on the Fusion. I like to leave it connected like Justan does, especially now that I figured out a way to get it to actually work.

Jim,

I do not believe it is possible to get a SD recorder to do what the Deva can do at this time with the TC output. I did try on my 744T and there are no options on the TC output.

Cheers,

Whit

Justan,

I am not running Zax Net so that is not a issue. That could cause some issues if you are running it. Do you need TC on your report. I do not. But I'm waiting for the updated App that I can turn off the TC.

Whit

I really like TC on the report. I think it's just another thing that helps.

I will try what you suggested. I'm not running Zaxnet at the moment.

It also works fine if you just Jam it. That's what I was doing before.