Is Timecode Dead?

Travis Prater

I agree with you about the Fusion. I am a Fusion owner, and metadata entry is efficient on that unit.

On a 788, it is a little less efficient, and I haven't always been able to keep up with renaming tracks when chasing after reality talent. A little time after the wrap with Wave Agent usually does the trick.

This is also the production sound teacher who says that you either get metadata or good sound, not both, because there's no time on set.

Sure you can! It just takes skill, experience, and effort.

I'll always excuse a run & gun crew for not providing metadata (or printed reports) to post, because I understand that there's no easy way to provide that information while (literally) running down a street or dodging bullets. Some documentaries are that way as well. But in a controlled situation, like a sit-down interview or a scripted short or feature, it's not rocket science to provide good metadata and good sound. And also good labeling, sound IDs at the head of each take, and accurate timecode.

I'm still curious what school is teaching this kind of folderol...

--Marc W.

I think the only people advocating no timecode are people who are forced to use prosumer (or less) equipment that doesn't have timecode, and they're trying to justify a less-than-professional approach. The popularity of cameras like the Canon 5D and 7D, plus recorders like the Zoom H4, has convinced some people that timecode isn't necessary.

Granted, the film industry got along without timecode for decades, using just film and mag (or 60Hz Nagra pilot tone), but it's a real chore in post to have to deal with hundreds (or thousands) of pieces of shots and have no easy way to tie them all together. Timecode makes this so much easier for everyone involved in the post process.

--Marc W.

Timecode is dead eh........bwaaaahhaaaahaaahaahahaaa.

I teach mixing at a university one semester out of the year. I would classify that statement as bad teaching. If you repeated that on a set anyone with a vast array of production experience would laugh in your face.

You did the smart thing coming on here and asking people who actually work in the field. That shows me you actually care about learning.

• 3 weeks later...