PSC DV Promix 6

Omar Milano

Hello everyone. I know I got ahead of myself yesterday when I posted this question

in RAMPS, but I know some of you have inside information about new and upcoming

gadgets. So my question is: has anyone heard anything about the new Promix 6,

besides the specs that PSC has posted on their website?

I was thinking about investing some of my hard earned money on a SD 302,

but now, with this unit being $200 more, with 6 channels, dual camera set up,

decent meters, etc. I feel that it might be worth the shot.

We all know that SD is...well, SD! I'm just curious if the overall quality of the Promix 6 could

be compared to the 442. Thanks!

Hello everyone. I know I got ahead of myself yesterday when I posted this question

in RAMPS, but I know some of you have inside information about new and upcoming

gadgets. So my question is: has anyone heard anything about the new Promix 6,

besides the specs that PSC has posted on their website?

I was thinking about investing some of my hard earned money on a SD 302,

but now, with this unit being $200 more, with 6 channels, dual camera set up,

decent meters, etc. I feel that it might be worth the shot.

We all know that SD is...well, SD! I'm just curious if the overall quality of the Promix 6 could

be compared to the 442. Thanks!

Nobody knows yet.  Glen Trew felt that some of things that PSC left out of the DVProMix 6 could be handled other ways, and that it was a good value for the money.  It does have direct outs for every input, but it has no trims. Glen said that trims for wireless RX could be handled  by the output level controls of the RX themselves, perhaps the direct out levels could be adjusted on the target recorder.  Not perfect, but ok.  The 302's mic pres will sound nicer, the 302's metering is WAY more informative (ie avg+peak), and the 302 has SD's input limiters as well as  output limiters.  It can also be configured to run an MS stereo mic off one knob, and give you decoded monitoring .  Do you need 6 channels a lot of the time?  Do you need the direct outs?  I'm certainly going to take a look at this thing when it becomes available, perhaps it will be a new standard for bang for buck.

Philip Perkins

Thanks Philip, I guess we will know in time. I really do not need the six channels and direct outs. It's just that if you have them for almost the same price of a 3 channel mixer, why not, right?

But as we all know too well, we get what we pay for. I just thought that since PSC is a reputable manufacturer...well, there I go "thinking" again!